ixion

Angela Lansbury

Really sad with this one, Always used to watch murder she wrote with my grandma, rest in peace Dame Angela Lansbury

• Like 3

I am saddened to learn about the tragic passing of Angela Lansbury. She was so young. R.I.P.

• Like 2

Angela Lansbury balanced the DL-hits: 5 women and 5 men.

This balance at this high level has probably never existed at the DL with its excess of male candidates and thus its hit rate.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Philip said:

Really sad with this one, Always used to watch murder she wrote with my grandma, rest in peace Dame Angela Lansbury

I was the same, spent many an afternoon watching it with my Grandma when off poorly from School or on School holidays a true legend who you thought would go on forever a brilliant actress a sad loss, RIP. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markb4 said:

She was incredible!

Mostly loved her from her Disney fare: Beauty and the Beast, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and Mary Poppins Returns.

Really sad!

How did I forget to mention Bedknobs and Broomsticks?! Adored that film growing up.

• Like 3

How I adored her performance as Mrs. Nellie Lovett in Sweeney Todd and her brilliant Rose in Gypsy in London.   And Madame Armfeldt in A Little night Music.  

Claude Jarman, Jr. (b. 1934) now the last survivor from the iconic 1949 MGM 25th anniversary photo.

Fe0ACDkVIAA7OIt.thumb.png.40269648cd3bbd09083c4bc18a265160.png

• Like 4

A real legend, may she rest in peace! 

Loved her also in Death on the Nile and Nanny McPhee. Except Mrs. Pots she also voiced Mommy Fortuna in The Last Unicorn (1982) and Great Dowager in Anastasia (1997) :( 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Happy Reaper said:

Elvis's mum in Blue Hawaii (even though she was only nine years older than he was).

and Laurence Harvey's mom mum mother in The Manchurian Candidate, despite being only three years older.

• Like 2

I wonder if she'll overtake Sidney Poitier as the last name to feature in TCM Remembers 2022?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markb4 said:

I wonder if she'll overtake Sidney Poitier as the last name to feature in TCM Remembers 2022?

I would think so.

• Like 2

Maybe. Sidney had arguably a bigger film career and was more groundbreaking.

• Like 2

Also, Sidney won a "real" Oscar - they both won a honorary one, too, though.

• Like 3

The only reason I could see there being a debate is recency bias, AL will be much more on peoples mind whereas SP died quite a bit ago. Short attention span and all.

• Like 2

Anyone understand the significance of the order in which the celebrities appear in the list?  i.e. is number 1 more likely to die than number 50? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leytonpond said:

Anyone understand the significance of the order in which the celebrities appear in the list?  i.e. is number 1 more likely to die than number 50? 

There is no significance pertaining to the order in which those selected are put in. Dick Van Dyke is #1, and Pelé is #41, despite the latter being much iller and more likely to pass away than the former. This has been brought up before. I doubt there is a real "order", but people who are carried over year after year usually linger about the same place on the list, with some exceptions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

There is no significance pertaining to the order in which those selected are put in. Dick Van Dyke is #1, and Pelé is #41, despite the latter being much iller and more likely to pass away than the former. This has been brought up before, I doubt there is a real "order", but people who are carried over year after year usually linger about the same place on the list, with some exceptions. 

I've always taken it as the order they were agreed to at the meeting/drinking session. Hence the obvious returning names tend to be near the top, and the oddball newcomers in the 40-50 range. 

Either that or it's just a bit of fun for Grim. Who knows? (Well, he does, and so do a few others but they ain't saying! Hah)

• Like 3

But look at the comments below the Queen's entry.  They mention each year's position, there seems to be a reason. 

Screenshot_20221012-183452_Samsung Internet.jpg

My theory: If someone is very ill, clearly an imminent or near imminent death and very famous they'll get spot 1. See for example Martin Crowe (2016), Wilko Johnson (2014, didn't die but originally thought his cancer was terminal) and Etta James (2012). In other cases it's just given to some nonagenarian/centenarian.

• Like 1

Coming a bit late to this but tonight 

my nine year old asked if she could read tonight and could she pick any book? Of all the choices she had, she chose the book of the 1991 Beauty and the Beast. 

That reminded me what a colossal body of work Ms. Lansbury had to her resume.

This death was also the first time that my wife has run down the stairs at a breaking news flash to announce someone's dead. Not even the Queen got that treatment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2