totenkopf

The Beatles Death Curse

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Julian Lennon is being stupid and taking drugs used for horses to cure him of Covid. (source)

Whatever gets you thru the night, its alright. As his dad once sang. Or maybe he thinks, like most men do, that he is hung like a horse and thus......

On 31/12/2021 at 15:46, YoungWillz said:

Times obit gives us the answer that we were looking for last month – he was born on 2 May 1923 in Kensington, London (as one of 9 children). Weirdly I still can't find this record on FreeBMD! :wacko:

Also states he was survived by his wife Donna and all of his four children. Arsenal fan. Interestingly, it says he was responsible for Steven Spielberg and Ridley Scott using Almeira, Spain for Hollywood filming locations (he supposedly called them up and encouraged them to, as he lived in retirement there).

• Like 2

On 14/02/2022 at 07:25, Deathrace said:

Ringo enjoying the Superbowl with friends. 

FLho4XOVgAAOoN8.jpeg.jpg

That's no friend, that's the living legend that is Joe Walsh - Ringo's mate but also his brother-in-law

• Like 1

Oh aye, and...

Finally got round to reading Craig Brown's One, Two, Three, Four - best Beatle book since Revolution in the Head IMHO. One interesting section covers their first Ed Sullivan appearance and the way other guests bombed on the show because the audience was wall-to-wall with screaming Beatle fans who didn't give a shit. Which led to me Googling and discovering Charlie Brill and Mitzi McCall remain very much married and are both still alive, even if their agent didn't call for six months after their comedy routine baffled those suffering a dose of Beatlemania and bombed on the night of broadcast. Point of posting that here being that their little footnote in history likely equals dead pool points for someone someday.

2554288b8059d133a2664726f62a0ca8.png

• Like 2

Some of my channels play Ed Sullivan reruns and I typically cap off my Sunday nights with one. A few weeks ago they played the Beatles grand debut ep (indeed, also the McCall and Brill bit) which was cool history to watch. Really striking how crazy the crowd excitement was when the Beatles were playing!

I saw Mitzi McCall in a Seinfeld ep as well so she should def have enough for the US friendly UK rags whenever she dies.

• Like 1

And speaking of obitable by way of Beatle related news mention

Eric Clague was clearly still alive on the 60th anniversary of the accident he was involved in (in which Lennon's mother was killed). As One, Two, Three, Four makes clear, the conviction (only a reprimand) for driving alone whilst only holding a provisional licence marked the end of his police career but he became a postman and had a round which - for years - involved delivering masses of fan mail to Paul McCartney's dad who continued to live in the house where the Beatle had grown up. Can't find any evidence Clague has died since 2019, doubtless his passing will generate some news (and points)

36989017_496249640830585_343510572083026

• Like 1

Menlove Avenue? wasn't that illegal in those days?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Should probs report - btw - there's a lively conversation going on via PM with a DL'er who rightly points out Eric Clague would be well old if alive. I'm basing my post above on a Beatle obsessive FB page where someone posted three years back saying Clague was still around 60 years after he killed Lennon's mum. He's not far short of 90 now (approx 87-8 if my maths is right). Oh aye, and...there's no reliable death report of another obitable Beatle connection, drummer Jimmie Nicol (who filled in briefly on tour for Ringo when the Beatles' drummer had his tonsils out). He's 82 if he's still breathing and may well be living in Mexico. 

beatles-Jimmie-nicol-1964-billboard-1548 

• Like 1

Eric Clague was 64 when he did his interview with the Sunday Mirror in 1998, so he'd be 88 this year. Old, but not surprisingly old, especially when he kept an active lifestyle (he quit the police after the accident and became a postman).

• Like 1

Woah yeah wait a minute Mr. Postman, watch where you're driving

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

Woah yeah wait a minute Mr. Postman, watch where you're driving

Incidentally DI, re your avatar - there's a fair bit about John Lennon's thwarted attempts to shag her in One, Two, Three, Four...at which point I'll quit banging on about the book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Surprised no one has remarked on McCartney turning 80 today. Ringo has put a tweet out with this photo congratulating Paul. Ringo must be one of the youngest looking nearly 82 year olds out there. 

FVfaj1WUsAAmauv.jpeg.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Surprised no one has remarked on McCartney turning 80 today.

They have.  In the Happy Birthday thread.  That is what it's for.

• Like 4

I love going tenuous in this thread.

Frank Doran, former Lord Mayor of Liverpool who presented John Lennon's Freedom of the City of Liverpool to Yoko Ono personally in Central Park in 1998, reportedly dead: 

Of course, Lennon had been dead for nearly 18 years before the Freedom was delivered. Cue Scouse jokes in 3....

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Pattie Boyd photos at the launch of her new book: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11331099/Ronnie-Wood-shows-support-former-flame-Pattie-Boyd-celebrates-launch-new-book.html

Obvs, if you are more interested in how Ronnie Wood is looking....he's there too.

One of the BTL comments about Ronnie:

"If you go to a museum you will see younger looking men in the Egyptian Mummy section. "

:lol:

• Like 2

Despite being the muse to the greatest musicians of her generation, Pattie has since admitted she hasn't seen a penny in royalties from her former husbands Eric Clapton and George Harrison's hits about her.

Er, you don't get royalties for having a song written about you. Although it would be funny to see Warren Beatty getting them for "You're So Vain."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toast said:

One of the BTL comments about Ronnie:

"If you go to a museum you will see younger looking men in the Egyptian Mummy section. "

:lol:

What about Roger Taylor? He wouldn't be a pretty sight dressed as a schoolgirl these days.

• Like 1

Mike McCartney took the first ever colour photo of the Quarrymen including John Paul and George at a wedding reception at his aunt's house. That photo includes one Dennis Littler, a friend of Ian Harris who was the McCartney's cousin, and Dennis has now died: Mike McCartney on Twitter: "Sad to hear that the luvly lad on the right in my ‘John, Paul, George &..Dennis!’ photo has just passed away. At least he will now be able to say High to George & Johnny RIP Den (Littler)  https://t.co/wNSOMi7no1" / Twitter

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Geoff Monfor, Grammy-winning director for the "Beatles Anthology" movie, has died at ...well, it doesn't say.

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2022-11-22/tributes-paid-to-music-legend-and-grammy-award-winner

Also a bigger music figure in Newcastle and beyond.

Geoff WONFOR. 

Directed for The Tube and several music videos such as Band Aid 20, but close ties with McCartney and Harrison, trusted circle to do the job for the boys.

• Like 1

Ken Mansfield, manager of the US division of Apple Records in the late 1960s, reportedly died last week: 

He was present on the roof of Savile Row for the last Beatles performance. Turned down Allan Klein's kind offer to stay on, a good move. Author of books about his time.

Edit: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ken-mansfield-beatles-dead/

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 11:46, gcreptile said:

Geoff Wonfor, Grammy-winning director for the "Beatles Anthology" movie, has died at ...well, it doesn't say.

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2022-11-22/tributes-paid-to-music-legend-and-grammy-award-winner

Also a bigger music figure in Newcastle and beyond.

I believe he only did it for the money.

73, according to the NME quoting the BBC

• Like 2

Brian Casser (wikidead at 86.

Frontman of beat group Cass and the Cassanovas, an early rival of The Beatles in Liverpool.

Later led Casey Jones and the Engineers, a group that contained Eric Clapton.

jonesc.jpg.3d10238b378df35f257d9ac6d0102e1d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1