totenkopf

The Beatles Death Curse

Ted "Kingsize" Taylor, lead of Merseybeat band Kingsize Taylor And The Dominoes, more popular in Germany than the UK, reportedly dead: 

Cilla Black was a regular songstress with the band at The  Cavern.

• Like 2

So soon after Brian Casser. With the loss of those two, I think that's near enough all of the vocalists of the most prominent early Merseybeat bands outside of the Beatles gone. Rory Storm (Rory Storm and the Hurricanes) died in 1972. Johnny Sandon (fronted the Searchers up to 1961) died in 1996. Brian O'Hara (The Fourmost) died in 1999. Johnny Hutchinson, Adrian Barber and Johnny Gustafson (The Big Three) died in 2019, 2020 and 2014, respectively. Gerry Marsden (Gerry & the Pacemakers) and Colin Manley (The Remo Four) died in 2020. 

• Like 2

On 29/12/2022 at 22:54, Ulitzer95 said:

Brian Casser (wikidead at 86.

Frontman of beat group Cass and the Cassanovas, an early rival of The Beatles in Liverpool.

Later led Casey Jones and the Engineers, a group that contained Eric Clapton.

jonesc.jpg.3d10238b378df35f257d9ac6d0102e1d.jpg

Brian Cassar Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/01/10/brian-cassar-leading-figure-mersey-sound-scene-band-cass-cassanovas/

• Shocked 1

On 02/01/2023 at 14:08, YoungWillz said:

Ted "Kingsize" Taylor, lead of Merseybeat band Kingsize Taylor And The Dominoes, more popular in Germany than the UK, reportedly dead: 

Cilla Black was a regular songstress with the band at The  Cavern.

Kingsize Taylor Obit: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/11/kingsize-taylor-obituary

• Like 1

Times obit for Ed Rudy, American radio broadcaster, who has died aged 93.

Known for accompanying The Beatles during their first American tour. Dubbed "the Fifth Beatle" by Lennon at the time (and ofc one of quite a number of people to have been given that nickname!).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Times obit for Ed Rudy, American radio broadcaster, who has died aged 93.

Known for accompanying The Beatles during their first American tour. Dubbed "the Fifth Beatle" by Lennon at the time (and ofc one of quite a number of people to have been given that nickname!).

Including George Best, remind me how many songs he wrote!

Ed Rudy seems to be missing from this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Beatle

There -almost- was once a theme team. I'd add Yoko, too. But since George Martin's death, such a team has been impossible.

The most notorious thing about Ed Rudy was the dubious Beatles live album he issued in 1965. It was essentially a poor quality recording of the Beatles August 1964 concert in Atlantic City, but due to rights issues he had another band, The Liverpool Lads, overdub over the Beatles actual performances, whilst keeping all other recordings from the concert intact. Then at the end he added an interview with a fake Brian Epstein.

Here's a YouTube upload of most of that album - some of the interviews with screaming fans have been dropped.

First Beatles bootleg EVER! Fake! Horrid! Hilarious!! - YouTube

Various Twitter reports that George's sister Louise Harrison Caldwell has died aged 91.

Not seen anything I can link back to a close source, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Louise living in the US was the reason that the only Beatle to have visited America before their trip as a group in 1964 was George.

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Various Twitter reports that George's sister Louise Harrison Caldwell has died aged 91.

Not seen anything I can link back to a close source, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Louise living in the US was the reason that the only Beatle to have visited America before their trip as a group in 1964 was George.

Louise Harrison Caldwell Obit: https://bestclassicbands.com/louise-harrison-obituary-george-harrison-sister-1-31-23/

• Like 4

Henry Grossman (wiki), American photographer best known for his shots of The Beatles and JFK, dead at 86.

Died from a fall back in November but only coming to public attention now.

Times obit.

• Like 4

Times obit for Nigel Burlinson, music industry exec who secured the royalties for The Beatles.

Died 18 January, aged 86.

• Like 2

Times obit for journalist Don Short, famous for allegedly coining the term "Beatlemania" and writing his autobiography The Beatles And Beyond: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/don-short-obituary-kdwrj2zh7

Scooped Liz Taylor's marriage to Richard Burton, the drowning of Brian Jones and of course, the Beatles' breakup.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Times obit for journalist Don Short, famous for allegedly coining the term "Beatlemania" and writing his autobiography The Beatles And Beyond: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/don-short-obituary-kdwrj2zh7

Scooped Liz Taylor's marriage to Richard Burton, the drowning of Brian Jones and of course, the Beatles' breakup.

For a person claiming all these accolades, this is literally his ONLY published obit anywhere, and it’s behind a paywall, which made me Short-tempered.

I wonder how Ringo is doing. We hear a lot from Paul McCartney but not from him.

26 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

I wonder how Ringo is doing. We hear a lot from Paul McCartney but not from him.

Ringo will die the last week of this year as I seem to have accidentally predicted a few years back.

1 hour ago, Sinbabad said:

He's touring the western United States with his All Starr Band starting in about two weeks time. 

• Like 1

I didn’t know he was still touring. Thanks for the info.

Times obit for Martin Polden, the lawyer who represented John Lennon and George Harrison at the time of their respective drugs busts in the late 1960s: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/martin-polden-obituary-xh2dzpjl0

Died way back on 5th April according to this write up: https://elflaw.org/news/martin-polden-obe-legacy-environmental-justice/

• Like 2

On 12/02/2020 at 23:17, ladyfiona said:

Because i've got nothing better to do (and that i'm a Beatle nut), going to list everyone (that I know of), that had direct links to the boys that could die in next 10 years:

The Quarrymen (original band JL was in)

• Colin Hanton - 81
  • Chas Newby - 78 - Was bassist in Hamburg days as well before PM took over
  • John Lowe - 77
  • Nigel Walley - 78
  • Rod Davis - 79

Interesting source claiming that Chas Newby has died: 

Obviously there might be something on the Facialnovel, but again I'd need a better source or corroboration to be sure.

I don't think he ever went to Hamburg @ladyfiona merely a temporary infill after Stu Sutcliffe stayed there.

If I've remembered it correctly, he played a few dates with the band in December 1960 after their first return from Hamburg, prior to McCartney switching to bass.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JQW said:

If I've remembered it correctly, he played a few dates with the band in December 1960 after their first return from Hamburg, prior to McCartney switching to bass.

My remembered chronology is a bit shaky of this era - obviously the first trip to Hamburg was a nightmare - I think McCartney took a job and had to be persuaded back, and took on the bass after Lennon and Harrison said they wouldn't do it.

Anyhow, it appears that one of the Best family has confirmed the death of Chas Newby:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

My remembered chronology is a bit shaky of this era - obviously the first trip to Hamburg was a nightmare - I think McCartney took a job and had to be persuaded back, and took on the bass after Lennon and Harrison said they wouldn't do it.

Anyhow, it appears that one of the Best family has confirmed the death of Chas Newby:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-beatles-former-bassist-chas-30040139
Just been given the breaking news and push notification treatment by the Mirror. 

• Like 2