lospalmas7

Pope Benedict XVI

53 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I found this on Twitter. 

Other news outlets are reporting this too: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/03/emeritus-pope-benedict-93-extremely-frail-visiting-dying-brother/

Shame DL committee didnt include him this year...

• Like 1

I interpret this news in the way that Benedict wants to recover once more, and to write some kind of testament/final thoughts. The current infection is not going to kill him. But he's got less than a year left. A few months, maybe.

28 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I interpret this news in the way that Benedict wants to recover once more, and to write some kind of testament/final thoughts. The current infection is not going to kill him. But he's got less than a year left. A few months, maybe.

From the look of things, no he's not doing so bueno. According to this, he is extremely frail and his voice is barely audible. Really doesnt look good for him, sorry Catholics...

Even Sky News reporting it- are trying to tell us they he is worse than mere Shingles.

Shingles aren't exactly a walk in the park for the healthiest of people never mind a 91 year old who's already frail. Wouldn't be shocked if he's gone before the year is out

17 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Shingles aren't exactly a walk in the park for the healthiest of people never mind a 91 year old who's already frail. Wouldn't be shocked if he's gone before the year is out

Yeah I've had it. Left me bedridden for 2 months, in fact it left me so behind on my college work that they kicked me out. Worst part was that if I was to go back and do it again then I'd have to pay like 5k so I went to work at a warehouse instead... took nightschool to become an automation expert and here I am today... 

But yeah shingles is nasty and I was 18 when I had it. I wouldnt imagine a 93 year old surviving it...

• Shocked 1

BREAKING- Pope Benedict  condition has significantly deteriorated and he is now seriously ill according to German news sources.Vatican sources are not denying the reports.  Need to keep an eye on this in coming hours/days ! https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vatican-benedict-health/former-pope-benedict-is-seriously-ill-german-newspaper-idUSKBN24Z0RK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

50 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

BREAKING- Pope Benedict  condition has significantly deteriorated and he is now seriously ill according to German news sources.Vatican sources are not denying the reports.  Need to keep an eye on this in coming hours/days ! https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vatican-benedict-health/former-pope-benedict-is-seriously-ill-german-newspaper-idUSKBN24Z0RK

They havent stated anything new in that article. I think all we can do is speculate until more info comes out, but I agree that this is defo worth keeping an eye on...

If he only lasts till the 4th of September he'll be the oldest pope in history (although the recordholder died in office)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

If he only lasts till the 4th of September he'll be the oldest pope in history (although the recordholder died in office)

Unless he has whatever is keeping Prince Phillip alive, I wouldnt say its likely he'll make it till then... 

That would be cool though, although we'll probably have to wait 9-10  years at least until this record can be broken if Benedict doesnt recover.

If he should survive the year, he should re-enter the DL straight into the top 5!

• Like 4

Actually I think reptile got it right. Shingles won't kill him and word of his illness comes from his biographer who visited him. A dork who visited Thich Nhat Hanh almost two years ago said he would die within days.... 

The news is spreading like wildfire around the world - Benedict is extremely frail and seriously ill. Catholics around the world are praying for him. It seems unlikely their prayers will have much effect...https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-benedict-health-1.5672696

PS my great uncle died of shingles.Anyone who has had it will tell you it can be s worse than cancer ! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

The news is spreading like wildfire around the world - Benedict is extremely frail and seriously ill. Catholics around the world are praying for him. It seems unlikely their prayers will have much effect...https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-benedict-health-1.5672696

PS my great uncle died of shingles.Anyone who has had it will tell you it can be s worse than cancer ! 

For your uncle, a 92-year old very frail man I know had shingles last year and recovered quite easily. Not a death sentence by any means.

1 minute ago, drol said:

For your uncle, a 92-year old very frail man I know had shingles last year and recovered quite easily. Not a death sentence by any means.

Well it finished off my great uncle, though to be fair he did allready have stage 4 prostate cancer and had suffered a stroke a few months earlier, so that may have had something to do with his death.

33 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Well it finished off my great uncle, though to be fair he did allready have stage 4 prostate cancer and had suffered a stroke a few months earlier, so that may have had something to do with his death.

You think?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

It doesn't change the fact that he is extremely frail and clearly anything could finish him off at any time.If it's not the shingles it'll be something else.He may not die this week but Pope Emeritius Benedict will not be with us for more than a few months I'm afraid. 

Thank you sir for continuing to extend Pope Benedict’s life. You’re a real hero. :) 

8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Article has been edited. Vatican says that Benedict's condition 'is not particularly worrying'...

• Like 1

Honestly, I hope he’ll reach 2021.... so that the committee can include him on next year’s list and have a pretty sure big hit !

10 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Honestly, I hope he’ll reach 2021.... so that the committee can include him on next year’s list and have a pretty sure big hit !

It will be an uphill struggle but he might just about make it I suppose..Would be the first big hit of 2021 ! Wouldn't it be funny if Pope Francis suddenly dropped dead before him though ! Not funny haha of course...

Why hope, when you can pray? (Specifically to St Anthony the Great, patron saint of shingles - facial or otherwise)