lospalmas7

Pope Benedict XVI

Scare today, although the guy looks like a harmless crank. Did remind me though that this pope is kinda keen on an open topped car..........

That's no way to talk about the Pope.

• Like 1

Scare today, although the guy looks like a harmless crank. Did remind me though that this pope is kinda keen on an open topped car..........

That's no way to talk about the Pope.

Apologies; I meant infallible harmless crank.

I am loving the fact that the word 'popemobile' is totally part of our everyday language. But I'm afraid nobody will look as cool in it as John Paul 2 did.

Even though "The Pope Wears Prada"?

That's not very humble of him, is it? Isn't there something in the bible about camels & eyes of needles? To be sure of a place in heaven the Pope should wear Primark or Matalan.

That's not very humble of him, is it? Isn't there something in the bible about camels & eyes of needles? To be sure of a place in heaven the Pope should wear Primark or Matalan.

If he really wanted a place in heaven he would give up Roman Catholicism. ;)

'Nazi' pope's latest tour dates include some opportunities to give it the old clasped hands and fixed grin routine in Israel. The tour press talks about trying to forge links between Jews and Moslems in the Middle East and support the beleagured Christian communities in the region....in other words 'stirring it bigtime,' in the eyes of fanatics on all sides.

Obviously the man has security on a par with the best, right?

'Nazi' pope's latest tour dates include some opportunities to give it the old clasped hands and fixed grin routine in Israel. The tour press talks about trying to forge links between Jews and Moslems in the Middle East and support the beleagured Christian communities in the region....in other words 'stirring it bigtime,' in the eyes of fanatics on all sides.

I couldn't help but think of 'allo 'allo yesterday as his strong Germanic accent came through as he spoke English in an address at a Holocaust memorial in Israel. I admit to having had an inappropriate uncontrollable sN-word.

Does anyone know if any pope in history has ever been assasinated ? Just my curiosity lol....

G'Day every person.

I know of at least one pope who was assassinated.

I'm currently conducting historical research on The Great Western Schism and in answer to Faustus' question on assassinated popes - the Roman pope Urban VI was killed painfully (should be enough to satisfy all present on the forum) "...through poisoning, on October 15, 1389." as Dietrich of Niem chronicled.

Does anyone know if any pope in history has ever been assasinated ? Just my curiosity lol....

First match on Google for "assassinated popes"

Pontofficating

From the article:

"John VIII (872-882): Poisoned and clubbed to death

Adrian III, St. (884-885): Rumored poisoned

Stephen VI (896-897): Strangled

Leo V (903): Murdered

John X (914-928): Suffocated under a pillow

Stephen VII (VIII) (928-931): Possibly murdered

Stephen VIII (IX) (939-942): Mutilated and died from injuries

John XII (955-964): Suffered a stroke while with a mistress

or murdered by an outraged husband

Benedict VI (973-974): Strangled by a priest

John XIV (983-984): Starved to death or poisoned

Gregory V (996-999): Rumored poisoned, probably malaria

Sergius IV (1009-1012): Possibly murdered

Clement II (1046-1047): Rumored poisoned

Damasus II (1048): Rumored murdered

Boniface VIII (1294-1303): Died from abuse received while a

captive of the French in Anagni"

According to wikianswers, Poped their clogs it's:

"Eight: John VIII, Hadrian III, Stephen VI, Leo V, John X, Sergius IV, Benedict VI, Urban VI."

All but one of those eight appear on the first list, so presumably there's some truth out there. Except for the last one, that's just an Urban legend.

ppchildress280808.jpg

John Paul I? <_<

The Pope has fractured his wrist in fall.

That's how it starts...

Yes that does seem to be what they are saying in this artycul from the Chicago Tribune.:::::: http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/rel...0,2433301.story which says in part and I quote from it::::

Among adults over 65, falls are the leading cause of deaths caused by injuries. The risk of falling increases significantly with age, as older people typically have more problems with eyesight, movement and balance.

Older people are also at increased risk of osteoporosis, a condition which weakens the bones and makes them easier to break — making falls more dangerous.__

Bruno reported from Aosta and David from the Vatican. AP reporter Chiara Sottile contributed to this report from Rome.

I wonder if we should have oiled the shower floor?

The Pope is visiting the United Kingdom next year.

This may include a stop in Northern Ireland. ;)

The Pope is visiting the United Kingdom next year.

Cool. Despite not being Catholic, I might pop along to have a nosey if he goes to Canterbury or somewhere close by. Obviously to report on how well he looks, if he looks like he might croak soon, etc. The usual.

Pope Benedict will be going to bed early on Christmas Eve.

Fears grew over the health of the Pope yesterday after the Vatican announced it would hold Christmas Eve Midnight Mass at 10pm. Officials said starting two hours earlier will allow the 82-year-old Pope Benedict XVI 'time to rest' before his duties on Christmas Day. It is the first time the late night traditional Christmas Eve celebration has begun at a time other than midnight.

Pope Benedict will be going to bed early on Christmas Eve.

Fears grew over the health of the Pope yesterday after the Vatican announced it would hold Christmas Eve Midnight Mass at 10pm. Officials said starting two hours earlier will allow the 82-year-old Pope Benedict XVI 'time to rest' before his duties on Christmas Day. It is the first time the late night traditional Christmas Eve celebration has begun at a time other than midnight.

Well, that looks promising!

Vatican officials were quick to deny the Pope was in 'anything other than good health' but added: 'The change is just a precaution you would take for any 82-year-old man.

Those Vatican officials will have to be flagellated for that blatant lie! They did not reschedule the Christmas Eve-mass for the last pope - who had had health problems for ages and was unable to sit straight and talk without drooling. Not even when he was 84 years old and so close to meeting his Maker that shining him in the eye with a christmas candle would have finished him off.

Those Vatican officials will have to be flagellated for that blatant lie!

Hey, they're catholic priests! You can't blame them for lying, it's their job.

Besides, I wonder if flagellation is a punisment for those guys.

regards,

Hein

Guest Davy Jones' Locker
Given up hope for the poor old dead Pope?

Nope.

The current Pope, Ratzinger, may also be on the way out. :D For the first time in about 1600 years, Christmas Midnight Mass is being moved to 10:00 pm, although the Vatican are, naturally, denying rumours about the Pope's health.

Also, the Pope's personal physician is retiring. His replacement is to be one of Italy's top cardiologists, notable given Ratzinger's history of heart problems and rumoured past mild strokes.

2010?

Guest Davy Jones' Locker

Here is a link for it. The same basic story has appeared in a number of sources with no elaboration or further details, so whatever is really happening is being held close to the Vatican's collective chest:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...ss-at-10pm.html

If not sick, I would say they are at least being extremely cautious about his heart problems so maybe he could go at any time....

Given up hope for the poor old dead Pope?

Nope.

The current Pope, Ratzinger, may also be on the way out. :wub: For the first time in about 1600 years, Christmas Midnight Mass is being moved to 10:00 pm, although the Vatican are, naturally, denying rumours about the Pope's health.

Also, the Pope's personal physician is retiring. His replacement is to be one of Italy's top cardiologists, notable given Ratzinger's history of heart problems and rumoured past mild strokes.

2010?

This is not exactly breaking news (see the last couple of posts before yours), but I was wondering if His Holiness would qualify for DL 2010. He's turned out to be frailer than I'd expected, though of course Pope John Paul II has been a breathing corpse for years before his demise in 2005 and had to be nominated 12 times before he finally performed his ultimate duty. Should we take that risk with Pope Benedict XVI?

Should we take that risk with Pope Benedict XVI?

For purely aesthetic reasons it's useful to have a significant religious figure on board, simply because there's an irony between the grim inevitability of the DL's approach and the 'life ever after' pontifications of major religion. That said, the indications with the Pope are that he will decline in health but could be kept alive for some time. Billy Graham might suffice as a significant religious figure, and may well cark it in 2010.

The Pope has been knocked over...

By a woman who jumped barriers at the Christmas Eve Mass.

Bloody Rangers fans.

You can't take them anywhere...

The Pope has been knocked over...

By a woman who jumped barriers at the Christmas Eve Mass.

Bloody Rangers fans.

You can't take them anywhere...

A eye witness said she had been a model for Milan Cathedral.

• Like 1