lospalmas7

Pope Benedict XVI

Damn! Someone suggested Benny before I could. :banghead:

• Like 1

Guest IYG
You're not the only one, I had someone telling me yesterday for 30 minutes how much they look alike, practically screaming at me.

And given your avatar, I can see how that bothers you... :banghead:

Well, the Y in IYG means Yoda so might as well. :o

A conservative pope is the obvious choice.  He will protect the Roman Catholic Church from "modern, progressive" ideas. Who would expect anything else?

It is a tragedy that so many innocent children are brainwashed into believing that opinions issuing from the Vatican have the validation of God. Happily, there are many other paths available - to those who can escape the ingrained guilt.

Now that the Cardinals have done with their ballotting, it is up to the Roman Catholic community to follow; or to walk away.

:(

Spot the lapsed Catholic.

:o Not me.

My ancestors had more sense!

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa maxima.

Hey! Calm down, it's not your fault. If I had been born RC I would have been well lapsed by now. I just feel really sorry for the millions who were not so lucky. :o

(Cowboy Ronnie Apr 20 2005, 10:22 AM) 

Anyone else out there think this new Pope is, like, totally evil and stuff? I'm no Catholic, not religious in the slightest, although I do think religion can do some good in some instances. But this guy scares me. I could maybe overlook the Hitler youth experience as he was only 14 and claims to have quit the army in 1945 (probably only 'cos they were losing), but his fastidious opposition to homosexuality, birth control and abortion isn't exactly what the world needs at the minute. I suppose it was way too much to have hoped for someone from S. America or, gasp, Africa. In a couple of places I've seen he's being referred to as "God's Rottweiller". Charming.

And those maniacal, staring eyes......

He'll be getting my vote for DL 2006, and every year thereafter

I don't suppose that he is particularly evil (the road to hell being paved with good intentions - allegedly :banghead: ), but he has managed to become entangled in the biggest possible way in an organisation that is certainly not in tune with the modern world and which is intent on maintaining its "traditional" doctrine at all costs.

They might ultimately be right! ...but I, like you CR, tend to the opposite view.

This Pope has pledged to unite the religions of the world. According to RC "tradition"

that means we will all be Roman Catholics when he has finished! :o

Guest Guest

Is this a record for the quickest move from non-celebrity to potential celebrity stiff?

I hate to say it, but I too am a lapsed Catholic.

I do however like Pope Benedict. I think that he is right to uphold some of the church's moral values. Not all of course.

I personally agree with outlawing homosexuality and divorce- not good at all. I agree with legal divorce, but to make vows in front of God then break them is a big no no.

However women priests and contraception should now be accepted, especially with the spread of AIDS in the third world and the current equality of women.

Abortion...hmm difficult. In certain circumstances (i.e. rape victims) then obviously it should be allowed. Not in any other circumstance though in my opinion.

LOL like the comparison with Darth Sideous/Emperor Palpetine!

By the way...his pledge to bring "peace" with all religions may not be so good. He will be fulfilling the papal prophecy which is here.....

Papal Prophecy...argh!

Very scary stuff. Maybe he is living up to his destiny, in which case there will only be one more Pontiff before judgement day!

Anyway overall, good choice to succeed John Paul the Great!

Simon

Guest One Man Jury

From BBC News.

"He said his first planned overseas trip will be a return to his native Germany, for a youth conference in August."

Just like old times!

The Italians call him "Papa Ratzi"

Surprisingly, the BBC came out with the best one though: "The German Shepherd"

:):P

I think he looks like Uncle Fester...

I am glad I am not the only one who noticed this.

Here's the pope in his first uniform...

17208095.jpg

Could be a Lord of the rings fan by the looks of those Elf ears...

It's not like his work rate is keeping the world's news media too busy. Rumoured to be having some problems with his memory. Other than standing and clasping his hands his physical prowess isn't widely evident.

What d'ya reckon in terms of life expectancy anyone?

It's not like his work rate is keeping the world's news media too busy. Rumoured to be having some problems with his memory. Other than standing and clasping his hands his physical prowess isn't widely evident.

Wasn't the point of this particular pope to given those high up in the Catholic Church some time to choose a proper pope? I reckon they need about 2 years to find someone younger and spryer; maybe he should be considered for the 2007 list?

I wonder if he does "normal" stuff like watching telly or drinking beer?

Apparently he loves cats. What a shame - they don't have immortal souls so there won't be any in heaven with him.

Cardinal Sin was always my favourite.

This could be merged with the existing Pope Benedict thread right here. In terms of his life expectancy there is already a poll right here.

[Mods, please merge. Done -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

Cardinal Polycarp Pengo would be my choice, just for his name.

agree with there TF. You think they'd let him keep his full name if he became Pope? The alliteration alone would be cool.

That's why I got an error message. I thought I'd forgotten how to do it for a moment!

Also with T.F. "Pope Polycarp Pengo" isn't something you'd be able to say at speed after a few drinks, is it?

That's why I got an error message. I thought I'd forgotten how to do it for a moment!

Oops. Sorry 'bout that.

regards,

Hein

An obvious shortage of aged religious leaders on the official DL, might be a good time to drag his holiness to the top of the forum and ask the all important question

Pope or Dalai Lama to go first?

An obvious shortage of aged religious leaders on the official DL, might be a good time to drag his holiness to the top of the forum and ask the all important question

From a Karmic perspective it has to be the Pope,

being a member of the Hitler Youth can't have helped him in that respect.

The Dalai Lama always seems such a jolly fellow,

the vegetarian diet might also help to keep him alive.

The pope's also eight years older.

regards,

Hein

All peoplehis age during the time were forced to become members of the Hitler Youth, so it's not like he had much of say. In fact, somewhere along the line his family disobeyed Nazi regulations and would have actually been considered traitors.

I still think he'll go first though. Last time the Dalai Lama got a health check, he was said to be in extraordinary helath for a man of his age. Il Papa, on the other hand, keeps talking about his short papacy. I'd say he lasts until 2008 or so.

S'pose we could set up an unofficial three header pope vs dalai vs maharishi but - I mean - Sexy Sadie's gotta be the loser there, surely.

• Like 1