lospalmas7

Pope Benedict XVI

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

I disagree.He looks terrible.Looks expressionless gaunt and very frail and  without the costume no one would recognise him.

I agree that he's barely recognisable but I don't think that he looks that bad apart from the hands, his cheeks are sunken but I've seen worse (Bob Newhart for example).

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Stuart Beck said:

I agree that he's barely recognisable but I don't think that he looks that bad apart from the hands, his cheeks are sunken but I've seen worse (Bob Newhart for example).

Look at the picture. He clearly needs help holding a photograph and can't do it himself. You must be pretty frail to be that goddamn helpless.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Stuart Beck said:

He doesn't look so well now, compared to earlier. But at the same time he look somewhat well, considering he is 95.5 and health issues from before he even was a pope. Also the fact that in less then 4 months it will be the 10th anniversary of his resignation as pope, because of health concerns. And he has been an ex-pope longer then he ever was pope.

Short said: He looks bad, but not as bad as I would have expect honestly.

• Like 3

We’ve seen worse soon-to-be 96 yo men to be honest, but I must say he is unrecognizable. I wouldn’t be surprised if he dies before 2023, but at the Same Time I can see him reaching 96. It’s difficult to say based on a single photo but he does look frail (even though I would have guess he would look worse).
I would be shocked if he’s not picked for 2023. 

another photo from the Same shoot apparently 

DE95593B-CDA2-4F35-A114-264B13D2F5C1.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

If J. Carter is alive, he should be the #1. The former Pope should be in the Top 5 certainly though

Pope Benedict XVI, Jimmy Carter, Henry Kissinger, Bob Barker and Leslie Phillips feels like a decent top 5 for 2023 IMO if they are still alive untill new year. I wrote them down in non-specific order also.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Putin said:

Pope Benedict XVI, Jimmy Carter, Henry Kissinger, Bob Barker and Leslie Phillips feels like a decent top 5 for 2023 IMO if they are still alive untill new year. I wrote them down in non-specific order also.

I agree 100%. I'd imagine at least 2 out of those 5 don't make it though

• Like 5

On 02/11/2022 at 02:25, Putin said:

Well that aged well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Well that aged well.

Thought he was dead for a second there.

Ratzinger that is.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Ratzinger that is.

Exactly Same. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Ratzinger that is.

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Exactly Same. 

Yeah, I can understand that.

Just find it kind of funny that in less then a week after my statment on that post, Leslie Phillips dies. And I never thought I would see the day he would die, including the other 4.

• Like 1

Met Ukrainian Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk yesterday:

benedict.png.fc16c66275856d119d9cca54e7227ad7.png

Seems kind of stable but very frail and ill and one of those people you wouldn't be suprised if they suddenly died a day or two after making their last public appearance. If he makes it to 2023 needs to be put back on the list. He's almost 96, his brother died at that age and Benedict was always frailer than Georg Ratzinger who used to mention stuff about Ben's health to the press. Very suprised he's made it this far

Short, incomplete health history:

Tried to resign three times from his positions as a cardinal: 1991, 1996, 2001. Suffers from high BP, other heart problems, arthritis, rumored to have parkinson's, congestive heart failure and a serious "debilitating disease".

1991 - Suffers hemorrhagic stroke. In September 1991, Ratzinger suffered a hemorrhagic stroke, which slightly impaired his eyesight temporarily but which he recovered completely. This was never officially made public—the official news was that Ratzinger had fallen and struck his head against a radiator—but was an open secret known to the conclave that elected him pope.

1992 - Fall

1997 - Pacemaker implantation.

2005 - Suffers a second stroke, also suffering from a heart condition.

2006 - Bypass operation "routine examination of the heart" and fall.

2009 - Fall, breaks wrist and undergoes surgery

2011 - First reported to be suffering from arthritis/osteoarthritis.

March 2012 - Suffers head injury on Mexico trip.

ca. December 2012 - Pacemaker battery replacement

28 February 2013 - Resigns due to "multiple health problems" and advanced age.

2020 - Seriously ill with trigeminal neuralgia.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, arghton said:

Met Ukrainian Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk yesterday:

benedict.png.fc16c66275856d119d9cca54e7227ad7.png

Seems kind of stable but very frail and ill and one of those people you wouldn't be suprised if they suddenly died a day or two after making their last public appearance. If he makes it to 2023 needs to be put back on the list. He's almost 96, his brother died at that age and Benedict was always frailer than Georg Ratzinger who used to mention stuff about Ben's health to the press. Very suprised he's made it this far

Short, incomplete health history:

Tried to resign three times from his positions as a cardinal: 1991, 1996, 2001. Suffers from high BP, other heart problems, arthritis, rumored to have parkinson's, congestive heart failure and a serious "debilitating disease".

1991 - Suffers hemorrhagic stroke. In September 1991, Ratzinger suffered a hemorrhagic stroke, which slightly impaired his eyesight temporarily but which he recovered completely. This was never officially made public—the official news was that Ratzinger had fallen and struck his head against a radiator—but was an open secret known to the conclave that elected him pope.

1992 - Fall

1997 - Pacemaker implantation.

2005 - Suffers a second stroke, also suffering from a heart condition.

2006 - Bypass operation "routine examination of the heart" and fall.

2009 - Fall, breaks wrist and undergoes surgery

2011 - First reported to be suffering from arthritis/osteoarthritis.

March 2012 - Suffers head injury on Mexico trip.

ca. December 2012 - Pacemaker battery replacement

28 February 2013 - Resigns due to "multiple health problems" and advanced age.

2020 - Seriously ill with trigeminal neuralgia.

could be a great contender for the king of immortal alongside with Carter 

• Like 4

Random thoughts.... I find it amazing how Pope Francis has now been pope for longer than Benedict has, meaning Benedict's retirement has now been longer than his papacy. Also, Pope Francis turns 86 in a month, meaning he's now one month older than Benedict was when he retired.

• Like 3

Francis can't really step down while Benedict is still alive, can he?

I mean, I suppose you could have two ex-Popes, but it brings to mind the Oscar Wilde line about losing both parents. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Francis can't really step down while Benedict is still alive, can he?

I mean, I suppose you could have two ex-Popes, but it brings to mind the Oscar Wilde line about losing both parents. 

That, and a bunch of Cardinal appointments come up next year, and Francis wants his own men in place, not some from the John Paul/Benedict school.

• Like 2

On 24/11/2022 at 21:02, msc said:

That, and a bunch of Cardinal appointments come up next year, and Francis wants his own men in place, not some from the John Paul/Benedict school.

Also this time next year 8 cardinals made by Benedict and JP will have reached 80 and therefore won't be able to participate in a new conclave if Francis dies after November 2023. (Well, most of the cardinal electors are already ones appointed by him, including all except around 17 of the ones under 75. There's currently 126 cardinal electors)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arghton said:

Also this time next year 8 cardinals made by Benedict and JP will have reached 80 and therefore won't be able to participate in a new conclave if Francis dies after November 2023. (Well, most of the cardinal electors are already ones appointed by him, including all except around 17 of the ones under 75. There's currently 126 cardinal electors)

*nods*

Also, Francis's a Jesuit. You know the story about that time the Pope (I forget which one) banned the Jesuits, so they all got together to pray that God would give the Pope a message, and within the week, the Pope was dead? Now I'm an atheist, but clearly the message there is to not side against the Jesuits in a Catholic street fight. :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

New photos apparently ? Don’t know if they are most recent than the previous one posted here  

6290B90F-1EBD-4CF6-B29B-542B6C8E69DB.jpeg

7ABBCD8D-8095-4A52-9840-E3F8F8160997.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Ah, the "Jimmy and Rosalynn look like munchkins compared to the Bidens from this angle" perspective strikes again!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

New photos apparently ? Don’t know if they are most recent than the previous one posted here  

6290B90F-1EBD-4CF6-B29B-542B6C8E69DB.jpeg

27 more days, is all he needs.

Same chair as in the photos of a month ago. This time, they hid the tissues better that are needed to clean up Benny's drooling.

I do wonder... I seem to recall he "published" some more teachings recently. Judging from the empty look, he probably didn't write a single word himself.

• Like 2

Sounds grim. I doubt he’ll Die before 2023 though but he deserves one of the top spot next year

• Like 1