lospalmas7

Pope Benedict XVI

Come on Ben, it's about time :pop:

• Like 1

Sweepstake: Pelè vs Benedict vs Kabosu.

• Haha 5

If both him and Pele hold on just 3 more days they’ll be the biggest gift of 2 early door hits for DL.

Probably, he has little time left in this world but he will not die this year. 

• Like 1

I actually expect some kind of denial from the Vatican, like "he is weak but stable" or something like that.

• Like 1

Maybe a futur number 1 for the 2023's DL ?

If he will not die in the next 3 days...

• Like 1

Pelé, Harris, Whale, Vialli, Benedict

What a majestic top 5 they would make for the 2023 DeathList! 

Has the DL ever had all its top five as successes? 

• Like 4

I thought he'd be a miss on January 1st and I still do.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, drol said:

I actually expect some kind of denial from the Vatican, like "he is weak but stable" or something like that.

No denial from the Vatican so far...

George alagiah, Jimmy Carter, Bob Barker and Sandra Day O Connor, Robert Wagner and Henry Kissinger would all be great contenders in top 10.

9 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Pelé, Harris, Whale, Vialli, Benedict

What a majestic top 5 they would make for the 2023 DeathList! 

Has the DL ever had all its top five as successes? 

I feel like 2023 list could be a breaking year, so many lingering figures. Just need Bennie and Pèle to hold on for a few more days

49 minutes ago, drol said:

Pope Francis says:

""I would like to ask all of you for a special prayer for Pope Emeritus Benedict, who, in silence, is sustaining the Church," Francis said in a surprise announcement in Italian at the end of his weekly general audience.

"Let us remember him. He is very sick, asking the Lord to console and sustain him in this witness of love for the Church, until the end,"

(Note - Gooseberry posted this on the last page too.)

• Like 1

Getting a bit annoying now.

I can normally submit my DDP early in the full knowledge that it'll be fine. This year it seems two big names could cark it at any given moment.

Both are already on my 2022 lists anyway, but would be good if they could keep breathing into 2023.

Edit: Actually I don't have Benedict XVI in 2022 so he better live!

• Like 2

Huge miss if it's this year huge gain if it's next year 

On the Sky News banner saying the Vatican has said Benedict experienced a sudden worsening of his health in the last few hours and is receiving medical attention.

Sounds very like when QEII went albeit she wasn't in as bad a state as him prior.

Sounds like he won't make 2023

• Like 2

I might have to substitute Benny for Sandra Day O’Connor, if he goes in the next few days.

Is there any particular reason why O’Connor is such a popular choice? I know she is 92 and has had Alzheimer’s for five years, but is there something else?

With Benny looking likes he's on the way out soon. I think the odds on Francis resigning next year have narrowed. (2nd part of next year the more likely)

• Like 1

"Regarding the health condition of the Pope Emeritus, for whom Pope Francis asked for prayers at the end of this morning's general audience, I can confirm that in the last few hours there has been an aggravation due to advancing age. The situation at the moment remains under control, constantly followed by doctors." This was clarified by the director of the Holy See Press Office, Matteo Bruni: "At the end of the general audience Pope Francis went to the Mater Ecclesiae monastery to visit Benedict XVI. We join him in praying for the Pope Emeritus."

Source: Agensir

I feel like 2023 will surpassed 2020. Plenty of celebrities out there slowly dying from terminal illness. Committee must pick right people for next year. 2023 had a potential to surpassed 2020! Benedict and Pele must be in Top 5 next year if both of them still alive by the end of this year. 

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

BBC - Likely to be constantly updated, the man won't lack medical attention so they could drag him into the points bonanza of the New Year

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64107730

Not too sure about that. Look at QEII it was quite quick in the end even with all that medical attention. 

• Like 1

Edit: Already mentioned. Anyways, doesn't sound like he has more than a week or two despite the "situation being under control"

• Like 1