Sign in to follow this  
Simon I

THE UK GENERAL ELECTION

If there was a general election tomorrow, who would you vote for?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

we need the green way of thinking right now and find good answers to all these big environmental issues.

How will hugging trees help?

we need the green way of thinking right now and find good answers to all these big environmental issues.

As a distraction?

OK - you and the other 6.5 billion of us breath oxygen and eat food to live.

Base facts right!

Now emagine a world in 2030 with 10 billion people trying to breath and eat. Currently one third of the world live on an income of one dollar a day or less.

In the 10 billion population world these extra people will mostly be in the current poverty areas. That's to say the poor will then be about 60% of the world's population.

Energy consumption of known fossil fuels will continue to expand (50% over the next 20 years) until it runs out totally. When oils burn in internal combustion engines, they convert the induced oxygen and emitt carbon di-oxide.

Now trees breath in carbon di-oxide and emit oxygen - but what happens if all the rain forests are cut down and burnt (using up even more oxygen) to provide area for people to farm new land?

Anwser:- our kids all start to die from asphixia!

No better reason to start hugging trees!

OK - you and the other 6.5 billion of us breath oxygen and eat food to live.

Base facts right!

Now emagine a world in 2030 with 10 billion people trying to breath and eat. Currently one third of the world live on an income of one dollar a day or less.

In the 10 billion population world these extra people will mostly be in the current poverty areas. That's to say the poor will then be about 60% of the world's population.

Energy consumption of known fossil fuels will continue to expand (50% over the next 20 years) until it runs out totally. When oils burn in internal combustion engines, they convert the induced oxygen and emitt carbon di-oxide.

Now trees breath in carbon di-oxide and emit oxygen - but what happens if all the rain forests are cut down and burnt (using up even more oxygen) to provide area for people to farm new land?

Anwser:- our kids all start to die from asphixia!

No better reason to start hugging trees!

Unfortunately, no matter how cogent an argument/proposition is, it loses impact, if riddled with typos.....

"breath" should be "breathe"

"base" should be "basic"

"emagine" should be "imagine"

"emitt" should be "emit"

"anwser" should be "answer"

"asphixia" ahould be "asphyxia"

8 out of 10 for content, 4 out of 10 for spelling. :)

Unfortunately, no matter how cogent an argument/proposition is, it loses impact, if riddled with typos.....

Now that's what I call being a pedantic arse!

Guest IYG

Lots of spare time you had there lospalmas. :)

I don't know who to pick, Alex Ferguson or Sean Connery. :)

Guest Death List Observer

The Economist recently gave a transparent, though not direct, endorsement of Prime Minister Blair. Although the newspaper was particularly effective in its piece, I cannot bring myself to support Mr Blair's re-election. He and President Bush sent American and British troops to war on flimsy evidence and remain undeterred in their fruitless pursuit of what is disguised as "Middle East democracy." Although Mr Bush is much more radical in this particular respect, I find it difficult to support a man who agreed with the U.S. President on such a critical matter as the Iraq war. I will be pulling for the Lib Dems come the 5th of May.

The Economist recently gave a transparent, though not direct, endorsement of Prime Minister Blair. Although the newspaper was particularly effective in its piece, I cannot bring myself to support Mr Blair's re-election. He and President Bush sent American and British troops to war on flimsy evidence and remain undeterred in their fruitless pursuit of what is disguised as "Middle East democracy." Although Mr Bush is much more radical in this particular respect, I find it difficult to support a man who agreed with the U.S. President on such a critical matter as the Iraq war. I will be pulling for the Lib Dems come the 5th of May.

I am sure that other members will have worked out where my sympathies lie, but my God, this is a boring election. Labour are going to achieve another lanslide victory helped entirely by apathy and (in no small part) rigged postal votes. Their boasting regarding the economy is going to haunt them soon as the chickens of 'tax & spend' come home to roost.

However, the other parties are no better:

ixd22big.gif

With the exception of a few little timid changes from the Conservatives, the policies seem to be: How much of my money can they waste?

Rotten Ali's considered opinions regarding the Greens deserve some merit, but in reality the prospect of getting the world united on a 'conservation' ticket are in Cloud Cuckoo land. I will say that when the oil price becomes too high, as exploration & recovery costs soar, this and other governments policies towards farming and the countryside will come into sharp focus as it becomes clear we cannot feed ourselves. (Whilst typing this I have just enjoyed a delicious pear, transported across the world using a tremendous amount of energy for my delectation.) It is almost inconceivable that our fertile island built on coal, surrounded by fish is in danger of running short of food and energy.

Guest Guest

Now that's what I call being a pedantic arse!

Job done. :lol:

It is almost inconceivable that our fertile island built on coal, surrounded by fish is in danger of running short of food and energy.

fertile island = Loads of farmers can't make a profit due to supermarkets telling them to lower their prices year on year. EU quotas dictate limits on how much production can be supported. Diseases like BSE and foot & mouth have hit the farmers very hard.

built on coal = Its said that there are 200 years of coal but just about all the coal mines were closed by the Tories and those that remain are losing out to imported coal from places like South Africa. You think our miners would like to be paid SA rates of pay?

surrounded by fish = Fish! Is there any cod left? Iron Block factory ships have not only decimated our fish stocks but also killed most of the dolphins in our waters.

running short of food = Agriculture is something like 5% of the economy due to us importing most of just about everything from French apples to beans from Zimbabwe (and they have been witholding food as a weapon from their own people)

and energy = Its said, that we produce 20% of our power from atomic stations but are we building any new ones? No, I don't think so. So, when they are all decommissioned in the next 20 years time that's a big shortfall. Natural Gas will run out about the same time. How can you power your kitchen hob? Electric? Well you can discount solar power because most places are too cloudy for it to be cost effective. Hydropower? We only have a few dams, so its wind farms or lights out - and most fuddy-duddy types are saying they are noisy are look nasty and please not in our back yard thank you! These in the main, are the same people who don't vote and are the first to shout my bills are too high and it's my right to be able to get lots of low cost energy.

I'm still waiting to hear from the residents of Ohio...

• Like 1

Boudicca Posted on Apr 22 2005, 08:51 PM

I'm still waiting to hear from the residents of Ohio... 

On Black Box Voting web site - www.bbvforums.org

admin

Board Administrator

Username: admin

Post Number: 390

Rating: N/A

Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 11:28 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Scott S. - McFarland, Wisconsin

1 uncounted vote is an injustice. 25 million uncounted votes is fraud. New Hampshire now Ohio ...

It is almost inconceivable that our fertile island built on coal, surrounded by fish is in danger of running short of food and energy.

fertile island = Loads of farmers can't make a profit due to supermarkets telling them to lower their prices year on year. EU quotas dictate limits on how much production can be supported. Diseases like BSE and foot & mouth have hit the farmers very hard.

built on coal = Its said that there are 200 years of coal but just about all the coal mines were closed by the Tories and those that remain are losing out to imported coal from places like South Africa. You think our miners would like to be paid SA rates of pay?

surrounded by fish = Fish! Is there any cod left? Iron Block factory ships have not only decimated our fish stocks but also killed most of the dolphins in our waters.

running short of food = Agriculture is something like 5% of the economy due to us importing most of just about everything from French apples to beans from Zimbabwe (and they have been witholding food as a weapon from their own people)

and energy = Its said, that we produce 20% of our power from atomic stations but are we building any new ones? No, I don't think so. So, when they are all decommissioned in the next 20 years time that's a big shortfall. Natural Gas will run out about the same time. How can you power your kitchen hob? Electric? Well you can discount solar power because most places are too cloudy for it to be cost effective. Hydropower? We only have a few dams, so its wind farms or lights out - and most fuddy-duddy types are saying they are noisy are look nasty and please not in our back yard thank you! These in the main, are the same people who don't vote and are the first to shout my bills are too high and it's my right to be able to get lots of low cost energy.

I can't really argue with any of your points, but I'm not sure whether you are for or against nuclear energy production. If viewed dispassionately, it really is the best option currently.

This country has got itself into an extremely vulnerable position in energy and food. The inmates have truly taken over the asylum.

Probably when the oil and gas run out, the other forms of energy will become more viable. How lucky we are that thanks to Mrs Thatcher's forethought we still have large reserves of coal under the ground.

Aren't those Ohioans dickheads? It is no surprise that the world is going to the dogs when it contains such folks.

I'm pleased the LibDems are doing so well in our poll. I wonder if the lack of Labour votes is indicative of the leanings of the DeathList membership or more of atitudes in the country as a whole?

I can't really argue with any of your points, but I'm not sure whether you are for or against nuclear energy production. If viewed dispassionately, it really is the best option currently.

Good question Mr Josco. We all know that the method is quite feasible (Cherabil and Long Island excepted) and the downside is all in the problems of long half life low level waste storage. A money making industry in the reprocessing plant has been put in the balance by idiotic falsification of processing notes. The whole lot needs a shake up and I think maybe if we return to level understanding of how best to run such plants we should build a few more. However not to the number previously on stream. Say 5 to 10% of our needs to add a diversity into the equation without being held captive to the massive clean up and security costs that they bring.

Probably when the oil and gas run out, the other forms of energy will become more viable.

One main problem I can see with this notion is that the off shore wind farms cost say 1 million quid each and much of this cost is an indicative power usage in their manufacture - if we don't build them now, when we need them the most we won't have the power to build them and at the same time provide the energy we all want to use day-in day-out.

Well as I've said before I won't insult the intelligence of my fellow Deathlisters by telling them how to use their vote - I leave that sort of thing to The Sun - but I think Labour will do a little better than suggested here. They've become the new Conservatives: nobody admits to voting for them, but they keep getting in!

Incidentally I'm surprised to see the Death list Observer will be voting on May 5 - I had him down as American for some reason.

Some polling cards for the 2005 U.K. general election have been sent to children. Given the opportunity, I wonder which party they would support :lol:

Five-year-old sent polling card

Some polling cards for the 2005 U.K. general election have been sent to children. Given the opportunity, I wonder which party they would support :lol:

Well, no five year-olds I know of are keen on greens.

QUOTE (football_fan @ Apr 23 2005, 01:25 PM)

Some polling cards for the 2005 U.K. general election have been sent to children. Given the opportunity, I wonder which party they would support 

Well, no five year-olds I know of are keen on greens

;):):lol:

That was quite witty!

Veritas....though god knows why...i'm just sick of all the others...i suppose all polits ar full of c**p...

Veritas....though god knows why...i'm just sick of all the others...i suppose all polits ar full of c**p...

You're sick of the others and you intend voting for that twunt?

Heavens to Betsy!