Guest Death List Observer

Charles Manson

On 20/01/2018 at 10:20, theoldlady said:

Leslie van Houten denied parole by Governor Jerry Brown on Friday. 

Also: would it be possible to change the title of this thread to something like Charles Manson and family members?

It's the circle of life.

Appeals court says Leslie van Houten should be paroled: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12143617/Leslie-Van-Houten-convicted-taking-cults-murders-paroled.html

Apparently the Governor will have to appeal that decision to reverse his denial of parole.

Ohh, it''s in the hands of the courts....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

It's the circle of life.

Appeals court says Leslie van Houten should be paroled: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12143617/Leslie-Van-Houten-convicted-taking-cults-murders-paroled.html

Apparently the Governor will have to appeal that decision to reverse his denial of parole.

Ohh, it''s in the hands of the courts....

Here is the lastest info I found about this on the Inmate Locater website for California today. The California governor is hoping to be the Democratic contender for President next year. Wonder how he is going to navigate this mine-field! 

Pending Bord Actions

Date Action Status
May 2024 Parole Suitability Hearing  Tentative date for parole suitability hearing

Past Board Action

Date Action Outcome
November 03, 2022 Parole Suitability Hearing Inmate voluntarily waived the right to a hearing for 1 year
March 29, 2022 Governor’s Reversal The inmate’s grant of parole was reversed
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

Here is the lastest info I found about this on the Inmate Locater website for California today. The California governor is hoping to be the Democratic contender for President next year. Wonder how he is going to navigate this mine-field! 

Pending Bord Actions

Date Action Status
May 2024 Parole Suitability Hearing  Tentative date for parole suitability hearing

Past Board Action

Date Action Outcome
November 03, 2022 Parole Suitability Hearing Inmate voluntarily waived the right to a hearing for 1 year
March 29, 2022 Governor’s Reversal The inmate’s grant of parole was reversed

I'd be surprised after all this time and van Houten's good behaviour if the Courts will not inevitably release her.

Isn't that what prison is for - protect the public and encourage reform of character?

Yes, what she did was horrific. But in the absence of a death penalty and now Manson's dead, what do they think she's going to do at her age?

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'd be surprised after all this time and van Houten's good behaviour if the Courts will not inevitably release her.

Isn't that what prison is for - protect the public and encourage reform of character?

Yes, what she did was horrific. But in the absence of a death penalty and now Manson's dead, what do they think she's going to do at her age?

True! In actuality, all she really did was stab a dead corpse several times and drank the victim’s milk, ate her food, and put on Rosemary’s clothing, laughed at the trial  — Rosemary was already dead, killed by Tex Watson. Van Houten has earned BA and Master Degrees, is a literacy teacher in prison, among other things. She was actually sentenced to Death, but California ended the Death penalty for a few years, them brought it back. About 100 prisoners had their Death penalties overturned at that time — and this is the mess all that caused. She will not hurt anyone if she gets out. She is rehabilitated. 

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree with those who think she should be released.  I have always been against the death penalty but the only way I can maintain that opinion is if life imprisonment actually is life imprisonment.  Prison is also meant to be punishment for doing terrible things.  I also do not believe that at 73 she can no longer harm anyone.  I'm 70 and could potentially cause a lot of damage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deadsox said:

I'm 70 and could potentially cause a lot of damage.

This a threat? :lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Leslie Van Houten will be paroled it seems as Newsom drops his oppositionhttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/08/leslie-van-houten-manson-follower-california-governor-parole

If she wanted him to do that quicker she should have just changed her pronouns to they/them a few years ago. Newsom is an opportunistic cock. Though I actually think holding her in prison for any longer is pointless. She’s done enough time and she’s no threat to society.

• Facepalm 3

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

If she wanted him to do that quicker she should have just changed her pronouns to they/them a few years ago. Newsom is an opportunistic cock. Though I actually think holding her in prison for any longer is pointless. She’s done enough time and she’s no threat to society.

I don't think that's true.

13 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

I don't think that's true.

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Leslie Van Houten will be paroled it seems as Newsom drops his opposition: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/08/leslie-van-houten-manson-follower-california-governor-parole

Didn't her niece host the Big  Breakfast on Channel 4 in the 90s?

1 hour ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

The question now is will Patricia Krenwinkel get parole in a few years?

I very much doubt. Their paroles get overruled because of the infamy of the case. It's taken this long to get the girl who stabbed a corpse out of prison. It's a whole other ball game getting the ones who actually murdered people out. 

I also think that Krenwinkel being at the Sharon Tate & co murders carries more public hatred than Van Houten being at the less sensational / publicised La Bianca murders. Sadly the victims are definitely ranked in order of how much the public care about them.