Sign in to follow this  
Guest Death List Observer

Lady Bird Johnson

I am starting to believe that maybe Lady Bird Johnson's death will not be as big a story as I had previously thought. I mean she left the White House 36 years ago and her husband has been dead since 1973. A lot of Americans either weren't born when they were in the White House or were too small to remember them being there. I mean when Mrs. Nixon died that story was buried inside most of the major newspapers and only briefly mentioned on the tv news. If Lady Bird were a more recent first lady who had been in the public eye until now (and she has not), she might recieve more coverage. But again I doubt she will recieve much, maybe the NYT front page in the lower corner.

I'm with Bruno on this one - I don't think she's famous enough. Certainly her demise will not be reported in any UK news bulletin, or anywhere outside the US. Well, Canada maybe. And after so many years out of the public eye, there can't be too many under the age of 45 who know who she is, even in the States. Still, the DLO seems to find it gripping stuff.

Guest LBJWatcher
I'm with Bruno on this one - I don't think she's famous enough. Certainly her demise will not be reported in any UK news bulletin, or anywhere outside the US. Well, Canada maybe. And after so many years out of the public eye, there can't be too many under the age of 45 who know who she is, even in the States. Still, the DLO seems to find it gripping stuff.

Well with DLO gone now, I guess we'll just have to listen to the news for more info on Mrs. LBJ.

uh, I'd be more than willing to wager when she dies it will be reported extensively (although not necessarily in long articles) in the British media. She was married to Lyndon Johnson, who rightly or wrongly is a very well known figure in world history. Plus she has that funny name, which makes her more memorable than if she was, e.g. Doris Johnson.

I'll be sure to post the link to an applicable newspaper site as and when, unless omeone beats me to it.

Guest Guest

She'll be lucky to get a paragraph in the BBC. As for the NYT, well maybe something like this:

Lady Bird Johnson Is Dead At 92

Why such a stupid name?

Guest Guest
She'll be lucky to get a paragraph in the BBC. As for the NYT, well maybe something like this:

Why such a stupid name?

Lady Bird is a nickname she was given as a child ( and obviously it stuck !! ) her proper name is Claudia (Alta Taylor ) Johnson

.' Her nickname of "Lady Bird" originated while she was an infant. A nursemaid commented on her, "She's as purty as a ladybird." ' quote taken from Wikipedia

quote taken from Wikipedia

Oh well, it must be true then.

Why such a stupid name?

I heard she was called Lady Bird because lady dog was just too damned cruel :(

( © R Williams)

Why such a stupid name?

Well my theory is it's so she could use her husband's initialled cufflinks/ handkerchiefs.

Ridiculous of course, but no more than some of the previous suggestions.

Her nickname of "Lady Bird" originated while she was an infant. A nursemaid commented on her, "She's as purty as a ladybird." ' quote taken from Wikipedia

And i thought it was because she eats Aphids :P;)

Why such a stupid name?

I suspect they had to add the "bird" in just to make sure you didn't think she was a lady bloke. She's got big hands see, and they didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea. Between that and her peeing standing up.

Guest LBJWatcher

Still no news on her. I figure the whole DLO thing was just a damn joke!

Guest LilMimi

I just wonder what her funeral will be like. I mean I assume she won't lie in repose at the rotunda or anything like that. I'm not sure what the protocol is for " funerals of presidential widows". Do you guys think the funeral will get much coverage?

Guest jonstewart

Why such a stupid name?

That's probably more like a quote from the Daily Show on Comedy Central.

Guest LBJWatcher
I just wonder what her funeral will be like. I mean I assume she won't lie in repose at the rotunda or anything like that. I'm not sure what the protocol is for " funerals of presidential widows". Do you guys think the funeral will get much coverage?

It's pretty common knowledge that she will be buried alongside President Johnson at the LBJ Ranch. She'll probably lie in repose at her husband's library and that's likely where the funeral service will be conducted. I imagine Laura Bush will attend and probably some of the other former first ladies, Texas dignataries, surviving officials from the Johnson White House. And who knows Howard Dean as chair of Lady Bird's party might show up and let out a scream! (lol)

It would, of course, be ridiculous to suggest that there was any link between DeathListObserver and LBJWatcher. :lol:

It would, of course, be ridiculous to suggest that there was any link between DeathListObserver and LBJWatcher. :lol:

Hmmmm! They do sound alike, but then again I really don't want to jump to conclusions. :lol:

The mods have been uncharacteristically silent regarding possible similarities in the IP numbers of all these Watchers/Observers.

They too probably don't really want to jump to conclusions.

The mods have been uncharacteristically silent regarding possible similarities in the IP numbers of all these Watchers/Observers.

It's never stopped us in the past, Mr Notapotato, if indeed, [dramatic music] that is your real name.

Guest DeathLister

Obviously, this was a stunt in which Death List Observer attempted to take advantage of the fact that Lady Bird Johnson is likely to die and DLO wanted to receive credit for notifying us when she did.

It would, of course, be ridiculous to suggest that there was any link between DeathListObserver, LBJWatcher and DeathLister.

Maybe, but does anyone care that deeply about LBJ?

Maybe, but does anyone care that deeply about LBJ?

It is my dearest wish that she outlive both DLO and in particular Weatherman90.

It's never stopped us in the past, Mr Notapotato, if indeed, [dramatic music] that is your real name.

Are you trying to imply that the Creative Writing Department of the Mods Club knows more than it is telling?

Spit it out Señor Honez, or should I say (crashing discord) ........

To be continued.

I suppose it's about time I admitted that lospalmas7 isn't my real name. I can only apologise.