Lady Die

Richard Attenborough

"That must be an old photo ....."

Best part of this comment is that he isn't in the photo AT ALL - old or new.....!

Yes he is, at the back there! :lol:

• Like 4

"That must be an old photo ....."

Best part of this comment is that he isn't in the photo AT ALL - old or new.....!

Yes he is, at the back there! :lol:

That, of course, was the photo to which I was referring :evil2:

• Like 2

Although he's no longer in the public eye, Dickie seems to have his marbles about him and is clearly aware of current affairs - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Screen-legend-passionate-City-Culture-bid/story-19374978-detail/story.html#axzz2ZFRTRTBn

I wonder if he's just moved in because he's old and wants to be with his wife, rather than anything specific illness.

Guest Fartsack

I could understand some debate over David not being famous outside of the UK, but Richard . . . No!

Very, very famous!

DWB :)

No, you've got it backwards. Everybody knows David here, nobody has a clue who Richard is. Looking at his work it is possible he was once well-known and might be vaguely recalled by the over-65 set but I figure it's unlikely, seeing as he didn't have leading roles in the films like Great Escape. Same with more recent work like Jurassic Park.

David, on the other hand, is broadcast every week in some way or another and has long ago stepped into a vacant demi-god position left by Lorne Greene. Like the Pope he will hold it until death (unless he gets all pervy and weird like Ratzinger). There has to be one famous nature-person in the pantheon, you see.

Even if people in the US might not know Richard Attenborough or hardly any Directors by name, most people who have gone to high school in the US in the last 20 years at some point have been forced to watch Gandhi by a do good teacher who thinks making teenagers watch "important"(ie boring,bloated) Biopics is the type of endeavor that will turn them into film buffs.

Even if people in the US might not know Richard Attenborough or hardly any Directors by name, most people who have gone to high school in the US in the last 20 years at some point have been forced to watch Gandhi by a do good teacher who thinks making teenagers watch "important"(ie boring,bloated) Biopics is the type of endeavor that will turn them into film buffs.

Most people in the US would know him from "Miracle on 34th Street" as that gets shown every year. The 1947 and 1973 versions also get shown too.

Although unable to attend because of poor health, son Michael was there to celebrate his connection to the city.

Shockingly poor grammar and syntax. Oh BBC, how far have your standards fallen. :bat:

• Like 2

Although unable to attend because of poor health, son Michael was there to celebrate his connection to the city.

Shockingly poor grammar and syntax. Oh BBC, how far have your standards fallen. :bat:

I take it you have never been to Leicester. There that would be poetry.

Leicester 4 City of Culture.

No, Leicester 1, City of Culture 4.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2405087/Richard-Attenborough-Shiela-Sims-Still-holding-hands-72-years.html

Based on this article appears like he is in relativly good health for a 90 year old anyway. Seems like though he is one of those guys who will die though within weeks or months of when his wife does.

That's a very interesting article as it says Gerald Sim of To The Manor Born fame is in the same nursing home.

He played the Vicar didn't he?

Definitely one for the "I was surprised they were still alive" brigade

"Rumoured" to be returning to the big screen as John Hammond in Jurassic World, though it's not being released for another 2 years

As stated several times before, mediamass is a spambot site. He's dead.

married for 70 years poor guy. R.I.P

married for 70 years poor guy. R.I.P

Finally made his escape

RIP

I'm 90% certain these two comments were meant to be funny in isolation but together they're hilarious.

• Like 4

Another fantastic miss for DL, bravo to whoever it was on the committee who said "let's drop him" in place of individuals like James Randi and Tony Bennett who are in fine health.

Especially given that there were repeated reports of ill health and a major hospitalisation last year. :rolleyes:

How many more misses than hits are we on now?

• Like 2