BrunoBrimley

Glenn Ford

Gwyllyn Samuel Newton Ford of the Canadian Provence of Quebec, better known to the world as the beloved actor Glenn Ford is scheduled to turn 89 this coming Sunday. Birthday Man

Born May 1, 1916 and taking American Citizensip in 1939, he has appeared in several films including such treasured classics as Pocketful Of Miracles with Bette Davis, 3:10 to Yuma, Gilda, Teahouse of The August Moon, Jubal, A Stolen Life.

If all goes as planned he will be around next year at the release of his authorized biography: Slow and slower

Haven't found any word on his health but no news is often good news although his actual work seems to have dried up since the early 1990's. Maybe his adopted son Clark Kent knows where he is!.

• Like 1

Reports about his health are indeed elusive. He's retired and living with his son (suspicious?) and a biography written by his son is due out in 2006. Sounds interesting, but does anyone have anything more conclusive?

Reports about his health are indeed elusive. He's retired and living with his son (suspicious?) and a biography written by his son is due out in 2006. Sounds interesting, but does anyone have anything more conclusive?

I found this entry in a list of mailing addresses for celebs,

"Mr. Ford accepts fan mail and professional inquiries at this address, but is no longer able to respond to autograph requests due to health considerations. However, previously signed items and signature-stamped photos are available through his official website at: GlennFordOnline.com."

Make of that what you will.

"Mr. Ford accepts fan mail and professional inquiries at this address, but is no longer able to respond to autograph requests due to health considerations.  However, previously signed items and signature-stamped photos are available through his official website at: GlennFordOnline.com."

We're reading his will? Oh goody I do hope I am mentioned in it.......

I found this entry in a list of mailing addresses for celebs,

"Mr. Ford accepts fan mail and professional inquiries at this address, but is no longer able to respond to autograph requests due to health considerations. However, previously signed items and signature-stamped photos are available through his official website at: GlennFordOnline.com."

Sounds like Estelle Getty minus the grim portent. I also found out that he's confined to a wheelchair. I'd say that he's a good replacement for Herbert Lom in our "ancient movie stars that no one remembers" catagory.

Can you describe this wheelchair? Provide a photo or a link to it or any article related to it????

Can you describe this wheelchair?  Provide a photo or a link to it or any article related to it????

A link mentioning Glenn's wheelchair

Towards the bottom of the page.

I had heard about it on one of those ET "Stars of Yesteryear" or whatever programs while bored on a council retreat in the boonies. The only print source I could find was NNDB to back that up, which isn't exactly the most promising of evidence for DL.

Glenn Ford to make first public appearance in 15 years!

Make of it what you will. Cause for hope and/or despair for CP et al.

Nice picture of him, though.

Despair it would seem, though we'll have to wait until there are pictures of the event to tell for sure. But often times, when a person has the health to celebrate a milestone such as that, they're usually planning on sticking around for a while yet. It's usually only when an odd birthday is celebrated and the person attends (say, like James Doohan) or when the person can't attend their own celebration (like George Burns) that it signals an imminent demise.

Chalk another one up to CP's healthy DDP picks. I was thinking I'd have at least one more hit by now... but I suppose time will tell.

Perhaps Glenn Ford's first public appearance in fifteen years is not such a reason to despare after all. While I think its commendable the old boy is hanging on in there the likelihood of the situation is he realises this is the last significant birthday he will be around to celebrate. An you never know the excitement may all be too much for him, imagine not going out for fifteen years then being part of a media circus, seems like a recipe for heartattack city for me. :D

Perhaps Glenn Ford's first public appearance in fifteen years is not such a reason to despare after all. While I think its commendable the old boy is hanging on in there the likelihood of the situation is he realises this is the last significant birthday he will be around to celebrate. An you never know the excitement may all be too much for him, imagine not going out for fifteen years then being part of a media circus, seems like a recipe for heartattack city for me. :D

You weren't all that far off:

"Ailing" star forced to cut short birthday celebrations

How good am I (he types with smug satisfaction). I had a feeling that a big birtday bash would be too much for the old boy. Glenn Ford is now a must for nexts years list permitting the fact that he actually makes it to 2007!!

Guest imaglimmer

Gone tonight

And I was hoping that he would last until next year so that I could include him on my list for 2007 :P

I consider this to be a very near miss. We've got Gerald Ford on this year's list and last year we had Betty Ford.....

I consider this to be a very near miss. We've got Gerald Ford on this year's list and last year we had Betty Ford.....

... maybe we should consider Harrison Ford for 2007 then!

And I was hoping that he would last until next year so that I could include him on my list for 2007 :)

Dammit, me too. Ever since he didn't make his birthday celebrations he went from 27th on my list to 5th, where he remained - and I honestly thought that he'd make it - just - into 2007.

Nonetheless, credit where it is due - well done CP!

On a personal note, I'm sorry he's gone. I enjoyed a lot of his films. :P

• Like 1