Dr Strangelove

Richard Whiteley

Guest Guest
horrible to think that people can be callas about someone who has just died but i suppose a forum like this always attracts radical, free thinking, too cool for school types - ah well when you grow up and have lives and responsibilities of your own you'll know what its all about. sleep tite richard xx

horrible to think that people can be callas about someone who has just died but i suppose a forum like this always attracts radical, free thinking, too cool for school types - ah well when you grow up and have lives and responsibilities of your own you'll know what its all about.

fair play mate, it is true forums like this do attract a load of twats - much respect for richard , i met him once and he was cool!

Guest Whiskey Head

Richard Whitely has been counted down and out, well spotted you

Guest WHISKY HEAD
Richard Whitely has been counted down and out,  well spotted you

THIS FORUM IS ALL TO BALLOCKS

I thought I was the first to say anything about Richard Whitely ( I came in on the wrong end ,so sorry folks, I would therefore like to say

If Carol Voderman had given Richard some health advice (weight etc), instead of just pampering and being in love with herself the poor bugger might have lasted another 10 or more years, Did she really think she could have enough good health for the two of them

Whiskyhead

Hey, Grim Reaper & Co, after reading all the drive-bys on this thread (many commenting on each other) the following thought occurs to me;

would it be possible to block the guests on certain hot-topics (ie when someone has just died)?

Or is laughing at the nutters one of the secret thrills of Deathlist?

Guest Guest

I think it's a shame that he's dead. I'm sure his family miss him very much.

As for the cruel posters on this forum, I hope you find it as funny if you find yourself on your own deathbed and a bunch of people start slagging you off.

Richard Whiteley was a figure of affectionate fun, that's true, but the level of hatred in here for someone you've never met speaks volumes about the lack of understanding that you have about the value of a life.

He brought some happiness into a lot of lives with his cosy, non-threatening image and gentle humour. He managed to present the same show for 23 years and keep it looking like he loved doing it. That's no mean feat. Give him some respect now that his life is over. It wasn't a bad one.

Hey, Grim Reaper & Co, after reading all the drive-bys on this thread (many commenting on each other) the following thought occurs to me;

would it be possible to block the guests on certain hot-topics (ie when someone has just died)?

Got it in one, my friend!

Guest whiskey head

Calm down dear it,s only a web site

Got it in one, my friend!

Maybe, but on this thread they've managed to drown out the regulars.

The stupidity of one drive by-er, getting wound up by the stupid comments of another really winds me up. ;)

The stupidity of one drive by-er, getting wound up by the stupid comments of another really winds me up. 

Tick...tick...tick...tick...

Hmmm I guess you really did get wound up. I'l have to watch myself around you.

Guest Cunundrumbum

Richard Whiteley died of pneumonia. On the plus side, he got double points for using all nine letters and all the vowels! <_<

Guest Guest

ricky with a tick tick tickety heart

it went tick tick tick-tick-tick tick tick - tik-tik-tickety tick tik

a great man, will be sadly missed by those that didt work! for the rest of us that did, who was he and what did he do? answers on a postcard to

The stupidity of one drive by-er, getting wound up by the stupid comments of another really winds me up. 

When I'm annoyed it seems I become repetitive. Sorry.

When I'm annoyed it seems I become repetitive. Sorry.

... Just don't get alarmed!

I'm a bit late on this topic (been away on my hols). My Mum will miss Richard...

Guest Seymarie

... Hey does anybody know if Twice Nightly has been buried yet??

Was throwing away some old magazines when I noticed The Sun TV mag dated July 2nd announcing that Richard Digance would be sitting in on Countdown whilst Richard 'recoverd from Pneumonia'

Had myself a hollow chuckle at that one.

He had a "private funeral" (does that mean no-one turned up?) and there will be a memorial service in September

He had a "private funeral" (does that mean no-one turned up?) and there will be a memorial service in September

Can't wait to see his tomb stone - its bound to be Countdown related in some way.

'Here rests RWHHCDIEEYLRTAI'.

(Could this become a cheap spin off of the anagram thread?)

Can't wait to see his tomb stone - its bound to be Countdown related in some way.

Wry death, rich lie.

Is there a message here? A Reggie Perrin style disappearance perhaps?

Not sure but apparently the nurses were alerted when the cardio monitor went beepbeep- beepbeep- beepbeep......- didid- didid- diddle- di- dum, booowwww. :skill2:

Not sure but apparently the nurses were alerted when the cardio monitor went beepbeep- beepbeep- beepbeep......- didid- didid- diddle- di- dum, booowwww. :skill2:

Erm, there is a Richard Whiteley thread you know, any chance of getting these messages moved/merged?

What do other Deathlisters think of the fact that Des Lynam is to take over Countdown.

Do you think he'll be a good presenter - or will the unemployed now rush back into work, and students actually get on with their studies?

Des Lynam can get f**ked in no uncertain terms. What credentials has he for this show? Know something about football, does he? What?

I'm not ashamed to say I was an occasional Countdown viewer. The thing with Countdown is that it was always a bit tongue-in-cheek about itself; it had its own in-jokes and a subtle, gentle, often self-deprecating humour.

I am of the opinion that (if the show IS to continue) there should be a "rotation system", employing some of the old Dictionary Corner dwellers on a week-by-week basis, such as Gyles Brandreth, Geoffrey Durham, Phillip Franks, Kathryn Apanowicz (Whiteley's widow, an annoying lady but it might make for poignant television), Richard Digance, Keith Barron, Barry Cryer et al.

And, of course, Susie Dent, the one true "celebrity" lexicographer, to preside over Dictionary Corner.

<calm down, StarCrossed, calm down... they're only JOKING about Lynam...>

Guest Guest

A rotational system would be pointless and annoying. You need a central figure or character.

I must admit that Des probably wasn't the best choice. I saw him present 'Have I Got News For You' and he was no use.

A rotational system would be pointless and annoying. You need a central figure or character.

I must admit that Des probably wasn't the best choice. I saw him present 'Have I Got News For You' and he was no use.

Wrong! I admit my proposal might be a tad annoying, but it is certainly not pointless. How else would we evaluate potential candidates? By the number of soccer scores they've read out on telly? No.

If we have to have just one, my vote would be Brandreth. He has the "wooly jumper" thing going on, just like Whiteley had his multitude of neck-ties. He's been on the show 279 times so he knows his way around the coffee machine in the green room, Susie Dent's used to his smell, Carol finds him charming, and I believe he used to be Whiteley's english teacher. Oh, no, wait, that was Russell Harty. But you get my point, I hope...