I knew someone who lived in a house which was a small hospital for people dying from consumption in the early 1900

23 minutes ago, msc said:

Aye, I live in a tenement built at least 120 years ago. In Glasgow. I expect the walls are dripping with blood, historically speaking.

I did once find out a Victorian funeral wake type thing complete with viewing of the deceased had happened in mum's house. As a history lover, she was v excited!

Anyone who lives in an older house needs to accept that people have died there.  Lot of people will have been born there too.  It's only in relatively modern times that these events routinely happen in hospitals, and laying out of the dead would have been common at home too.

My house is old and will have seen many births and deaths, although no murders or suicides that I know of.  I witnessed the latest death, although I didn't realise it until a bit later. :unsure:

Well, what you don't know can't hurt you. The posh houses across the road were built in the 80/90s replacing tenements. In one of the tenements, there was a rather gory double child murder in the 70s. I wonder if the current inhabitant of the house there knows about that. As English and works for uni, doubt it, and not asking.

Our previous neighbour in the close done himself in. We get on with his replacement, have done for years, but never once told her what happened to the previous occupant, and sidestepped the question when asked originally.  I'm quite chilled about it, but I know from experience people tend to freak the fuck out about these things.

PS The whole hospital birth business being new leads to a quirk of fate: me and my siblings birth place (a hospital) has been demolished, mums (v. old tenement flat in the north of the city) still stands!

• Like 1

The place I was born is somewhere under The John Lewis development in Leicester.

No one has ever died in my house.
Yet.

2017 saw the highest number of deaths in England and Wales in the past 14 years with 533,253 deaths registered, even though the age-standardised mortality rate continued to fall. Primarily the rise in deaths was attributable to changes in population age and size. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/2017

I'd anticipate this total is only going to go on increasing. The peak in births in 1947 ( https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/livebirths/articles/trendsinbirthsanddeathsoverthelastcentury/2015-07-15) was, of course, seventy years ago, and mortality rates rise sharply once people get past the age of three score years and ten. 

• Like 1

Further to the above, I'll make a casual prediction: 2018 will go higher than 2017, with at least 535,000 deaths and probably over 540,000. I say this not because of some nefarious plot, but because of a number of factors:

- Continuation of existing demographic trends as regards an ageing and growing population

- Life expectancy in the UK having slowed in its previously long-established rise quite significantly from about 2010 onwards.

- Unusually high numbers of flu cases in Jan to March 2018 with a late flu season

- Excess heatwave deaths in the current long heatwave

- Worsening bed crisis in the NHS (thank you gvt)

- Worsening staffing crisis in the NHS (thank you Brexit)

- Worsening rates of mental illnesses, obesity, and obesity-related conditions like type 2 diabetes

- Worsening violent crime rates (thank you gvt for cutting police numbers and social service spending)

- Worsening social inequality

- No very major medical advances recently

- The slow march of antibiotic resistance

Anyone disagree?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

That would make for an awesome film.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, paddyfool said:

Further to the above, I'll make a casual prediction: 2018 will go higher than 2017, with at least 535,000 deaths and probably over 540,000. I say this not because of some nefarious plot, but because of a number of factors:

- Continuation of existing demographic trends as regards an ageing and growing population

- Life expectancy in the UK having slowed in its previously long-established rise quite significantly from about 2010 onwards.

- Unusually high numbers of flu cases in Jan to March 2018 with a late flu season

- Excess heatwave deaths in the current long heatwave

- Worsening bed crisis in the NHS (thank you gvt)

- Worsening staffing crisis in the NHS (thank you Brexit)

- Worsening rates of mental illnesses, obesity, and obesity-related conditions like type 2 diabetes

- Worsening violent crime rates (thank you gvt for cutting police numbers and social service spending)

- Worsening social inequality

- No very major medical advances recently

- The slow march of antibiotic resistance

Anyone disagree?

Me.

Brexit will hopefully see a reduction in population so deaths will decline.

* not a new antibiotic but wasn't the first new antimalarial drug in 70 years released this week?

Crime rates are not getting worse, they are just reported more.

Obesity I'll give you, but that hasn't killed off 500 gazillion yanks.

Re Brexit: any drop in population this year would consist primarily of people of working age going abroad / not coming. I doubt that would significantly affect mortality in 2018 as deaths are very rare in this group.  Also, I doubt that overall population will have dropped this year, since it was growing by 0.8% in the last recorded year https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/overviewoftheukpopulation/july2017#the-uk-population-is-at-its-largest-ever

Re crime: probably I should have left that one out. The total rise in homicides (45 nationwide in the last recorded year https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/homicideinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2017#what-do-trends-in-homicide-look-like) is small potatoes compared to national mortality in the hundreds of thousands.

The Dutch are mental.

Started a trial for pregnant women whose babies may have severe growth problems. With viagr a . (spam word).

Result? 11 dead babies.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/24/eleven-babies-die-dutch-women-SPAM-drug-trial

* coincidentally, South American fitba teams gave their players the same drug to combat altitude sickness for away games in certain countries, quite common I believe. So Messi followed Pele, but for a different reason :D

** brings full circle though, as Messi did get a lot of drugs as a lad due to being tiny.

On 24/07/2018 at 08:58, Joey Russ said:

Not sure where to put this, but: People who use alternative medicines for cancer treatment are more likely to die sooner than those who don’t. Maybe not the best sign for Greg Gilbert...

Except that a year ago ‘immunotherapy’ would have been called ‘alternative’ treatment, now it’s the only thing prolonging life and actually attacking cancer cells.

Read the word ‘more likely’. I know that’s some alternative treatments will become the mainstream like immunotherapy if they actually work well enough, but for most treatments, it’s not really helping them. See Dean Francis for example...

19 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Except that a year ago ‘immunotherapy’ would have been called ‘alternative’ treatment, now it’s the only thing prolonging life and actually attacking cancer cells.

No, it really wouldn't. Immunotherapy has been very much part of the medical toolset since at least 2010, when Ipilimumab was licensed. Whereas a lot of alternative medicine claims to act via stimulating the immune system, eg homeopathy, but plainly does diddly squat.

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

New York Times story on hospice patients who "perk up" before the end, usually only hours, but sometimes even months:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/well/the-mystery-of-end-of-life-rallies.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

That's really interesting, as this has just happened in a novel I am reading.  Read the passage literally last night (dying demented patient revives to give lucid account of crucial secret) and I thought "How ridiculously unlikely" .............

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

That's really interesting, as this has just happened in a novel I am reading.  Read the passage literally last night (dying demented patient revives to give lucid account of crucial secret) and I thought "How ridiculously unlikely" .............

When my grandad was on the road out, he spent his last week clearly utterly out of it from late stage cancer. Then at the weekend, he suddenly perked right up and was telling jokes. At the time I was rather younger so assumed he was making a comeback. He died on the Sunday. Was like one last moment before the quick exit.

The UK and Yanks rate of lengthening life expectancy has slowed to fuck all, due to "shit life syndrome'.

Insurers are paying more in dividends to shareholders as they won't be paying out on longer living cuntos.

Interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/19/bad-news-is-were-dying-earlier-in-britain-down-to-shit-life-syndrome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

https://pudding.cool/2018/08/wiki-death/

Kinda interesting-ish piece on spikes in Wikipedia editing and views after a celebrity dies. Does answer the question of whose death was bigger, Prince or David Bowie's.

When Bowie died they asked The Archbishop of Canterbury and the Leader of the Opposition about him on Radio 4. There are very few singers who this would be done for.

Bowie's was the bigger death.. Prince was a midget.

Interesting stuff though.

Possibly somewhat skewed if one is trying to answer precisely 'who is more famous?' by using wiki hits.

As in the case of Kate Spade perhaps, some of this is people hearing about it and saying "who?" and wiki is the first port of call.

Also there's probably an age bias as well, MTM might be much more famous than XXXXtenacious or lil peep but more so with those of an age less likely to be looking her up on the net.

The author does acknowledge it's not definitive. And it's nicely presented.

• Like 2

Will read in the morning when have bandwidth/sobriety.

But does it really prove that re Bowie/Prince?

I assume it only takes the English wiki pages into account so irrelevant.