Sign in to follow this  
Death Watch Beatle

Geoff Duke

I am looking for a bit of help with this one. Geoff is in his 80's now (unless he has already left without telling me). I wanted to find out how and what he was doing but info. seems a little scarce. Can anyone help out?

I am trying to get a few more different candidates onto the forum as new blood is a little hard to come by at the moment.

DWB :lol:

Guest Guest

well, a quick Google search shows loads of websites featuring the guy, he apparently won several world championships in whatever discipline of motorbiking he raced in, and you can even buy a nice print of him from the 50's, "about to crash out" of a race at Imola. I always wondered if someone was burned to death at that track it would be said he or she was "imolated".

I searched the world over and thought I found an answer; but, alas it was not the answer which I had searched for.

There are a few websites which make reference to Mr.Duke and he seems to be alive. Birn in 1923 he still was making appearances as recently as last year and seems to be slated for some this year as well.

At any rate some links for you to drop in on (not that they'll offer much help)

Geoff Part 1

IsleOfMan

IOMTT-Duke

Bit before my time but deep respect to the man. He raced motorbikes in the days when 'safety' meant putting down bales of hay. Hope he lives for ages.

I might be able to help as I live there. I'll contact the Manx Museum, they have a section on the TT races so someone there might know.

Have you thought about adding a current TT racer to the deathlist?

There seems to be a death every year and I know Dave Jeffries and Joey Dunlop's death made it to the national and international obits. "Milky" Quayle is probably the most famous of the current racers.

Have you thought about adding a current TT racer to the deathlist?

There seems to be a death every year and I know Dave Jeffries and Joey Dunlop's death made it to the national and international obits. "Milky" Quayle is probably the most famous of the current racers.

Good question, Handy. The answer is no, we haven't thought of adding a TT rider, for the simple reason that nobody's heard of any of 'em.

They do when they die. I know Dave Jeffries got international obits when he died a few years ago, they certainly make the UK papers.

So far this year, the IoM TT races have claimed 2 lives - Joakim Karlsson and Les Harah. The total of deaths since the races began in 1907 is now over 200. Most riders would never pass the famous-enough test and to predict which one is going to hit the wall next is impossible, so it's back to Geoff Duke then.

DWB :huh:

So far this year, the IoM TT races have claimed 2 lives - Joakim Karlsson and Les Harah.

I wonder if anyone we know may have had them in his other death list? :huh:

If you mean me then no I didn't, but I plan on adding Milky Quayle next year.

Oh and I'm a she by the way :huh:

Ah I understand.

Back to Geoff Duke . I've asked around and the good news is it seems he's still going, the bad news for deathlist is that everyone who's seen him recently says he's in good health.

Guest a n other

I have just returned from the isle of mann TT races and can confirm that 3 racers have died, one killing a female marshall.

Also a touring biker

It seems the person I spoke to about him had outdated info. I checked with a colleague and TT enthusiat today and it seems Geoff is not in very good health.

He didn't come over for the TT this year as he was in hospital with an eye problem.

So, he could be a good choice for the list.

He didn't come over for the TT this year as he was in hospital with an eye problem.

So, he could be a good choice for the list.

Oh I dunno, it doesn't sound life-threatening.

Unless he's continuing to race, that is. ;)

Guest kirsty duke
I am looking for a bit of help with this one. Geoff is in his 80's now (unless he has already left without telling me). I wanted to find out how and what he was doing but info. seems a little scarce. Can anyone help out?

I am trying to get a few more different candidates onto the forum as new blood is a little hard to come by at the moment.

DWB ;)

geoff duke is my grandad, and he is well and fine

thankyou kirsty duke

Guest kirsty duke

DWB ;)

hi!!!

Hello Kirsty

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your grandad's health. I'm glad to hear he is doing well at the moment.

Geoff is and will continue to be a TT hero as far as I (and many others) are concerned, so please pass on my best wishes.

DWB ;)

Guest Keeper

'fraid the "Duke" is still going strong, any other "good" ideas who is to go next? Did anyway really predict Steve Hislops demise, very famous rider both internationally and also on the Island here.

Handy where on the Island are you from?

Don't have any direct information on this but John Surtees (b 1934) was conspicious by his absence in all the press coverage about Valentino Rossi moving to Ferrari. It's significant only because Ferrari's dream of turning the Italian into a winner on four wheels would have matched Surtees' feat of winning world titles on 2 and 4 wheels. Surtees - techy sort that he is - was still a regular on tv shows and the like for a while and was usually the kind of guy - like Stirling Moss - who'd do the rentagob work when the press wanted a line. Could be he wants a quiet retirement, could be summat more sinister. He doesn't seem to have an official site

Guest Guest

Surtees is hardly quietly retired - he runs the British A1 GP team, has a string of business & races bikes at historic festivals!!!

Super healthy, and has a twelve year old son, so he obviously have some strength too.

He'll be here for years yet.

Aye, thanks Guest, maybe took that lack of an official site a bit too literally.

Ironic that a 'drive-by' poster would add to this thread eh?

'fraid the "Duke" is still going strong, any other "good" ideas who is to go next? Did anyway really predict Steve Hislops demise, very famous rider both internationally and also on the Island here.

Handy where on the Island are you from?

Ta mee cummal ayns Doolish.