Dr Strangelove

Are we ever going to tire of Petra?

Ever since I first visited this site, there has been an advert for Esquire.cz at the bottom.

Is this supposed to be ironic?

What's the story behind it?

What does it matter? Do you come here for the ads or for the enjoyment of seeing who has shuffled off? Admittedly until your mention of those advertisements at the bottom of the opening page I had never given them thought. In fact I would adamantly deny ever having seen them. Now one may wish to admonish me for caring more about the contents of the forum than its sponsor/s however this is how it has been with me. Keep me (us) advised as to how this has caused ruination of your daily existance.

Adieu.

I'd noticed it aswell. I suppose it's the same as the Guardian 'site of the day' thing but it does look a bit sh*t just plonked at the bottom.

In a similar vein, can anyone enlighten me on the point of the calendar? I've never seen anything on it. Perhaps it could be put to a useful purpose, i.e. posting the dates of (future) celeb deaths - well, I suspect the mods know more than they let on.

Ever since I first visited this site, there has been an advert for Esquire.cz at the bottom.

Is this supposed to be ironic?

What's the story behind it?

Questy - our first big claim to fame was an article about DL in the Czech edition of Esquire - was pretty amuing at the time especially as people sent in several transalations of it - I will see it I can find any of them.

We were also Guardian site of the day a few years ago - the bottle of Champagne that got couriered to us wasnt too bad :old:

Fair point though - they do look like crappy ads now :P

And here is that old Esquire article from April 1999 - translated from Czech...

Translation:

The Deathqueue

If you are interesting in a person, that should die within a few next days, sie the page called Deathrow. In the list of the famous and renowned people you can find the ones, who "according to the experts" will not see the end of this year. This queue is the real queue because each candidate for his death is ordered according to his hope for survive. For example the first position takes the pope John Paul II, the second position hold Boris Yeltsin and just behind his back is snorting the british Queen Mother. The 28th position belongs to the only czech representative the president Vaclav Havel.

The main credo of the page sounds: "Now let's sit back and watch them drop." It is not the first time the list of the candidates for death has been placed on the pages of the Internet, but for our president's peace of mind, it's necessary to add, that last year from the 50 members of the Deathqueue have died only the 8 celebrities. And according to the all information they had not hold on the order of the queue. Without any problems has died for example Pol Pot from the fourth ten or Frank Sinatra, who had been occupying the fourth position. Esquire hopes, an idea of preparing of a similar czech list will flash across a some czech Internet enthuasiast's mind.

That image of the Queen Mother will live with me forever :P

In a similar vein, can anyone enlighten me on the point of the calendar? I've never seen anything on it. Perhaps it could be put to a useful purpose, i.e. posting the dates of (future) celeb deaths - well, I suspect the mods know more than they let on.

I seem to recall being promised when I registered that my birthday would appear on the calendar. :P

I find the calendar jolly useful. If I can't be bothereed to hover my mouse over the time icon in the bottom right hand corner, or I fail to swing my head 45 degrees to the left to view the office calendar I am comforted that information regarding todays date is available here.

I find the calendar jolly useful. If I can't be bothereed to hover my mouse over the time icon in the bottom right hand corner, or I fail to swing my head 45 degrees to the left to view the office calendar I am comforted that information regarding todays date is available here.

Josco - you should check it out today :lol:

So how do get your birthday on it? (Lucky little Josco)

Mine's 1st December and I'm very happy to receive flowers, sweeties, money, sekshual favours etc when the time comes...