Guest iain

Damn, won't anyone die?

8 weeks since th elast deathlist hit.Thtas th e longest dry spell for over a year.Anyone starting to panic?

We're in serious danger of not matching the last few years hit total at this rate!

I guess that there are some people who were wrong about this year's list :P

8 weeks since th elast deathlist hit.Thtas th e longest dry spell for over a year.Anyone starting to panic?

We're in serious danger of not matching the last few years hit total at this rate!

I guess that there are some people who were wrong about this year's list :P

Quite and have you noticed how we've flourished since iain's banishment?

18 May 1990 (Jill Ireland) - 23 March 1992 (Jim Joel - who?).

That will never be beaten. Looking at the 1991 list though I'm surprised there

were no hits. That said, there are a few, shall we say 'premature' predictions.

But this of course was early days and not as well researched and debated as it is now.

It's a blip - the stiffs will come...eventually! :P

QED.... ;)

What does the combined brains trust think? With Castro - allegedly - making a full recovery and others either quiet to the point of being 'dead' only in their dullness or still stumbling along to present 'The Sky at Night' once a month, will we have a DL death within the first two months?

Personally I think no, but reckon they'll be falling fast by the end of the year.

What does the combined brains trust think? With Castro - allegedly - making a full recovery and others either quiet to the point of being 'dead' only in their dullness or still stumbling along to present 'The Sky at Night' once a month, will we have a DL death within the first two months?

Personally I think no, but reckon they'll be falling fast by the end of the year.

I'm sensing we might have a near miss soon, one of our 50 might want to play games with us, then again IaIN SmitH Mite aV Joost PosEssEd my BodIEE FOUr a MomeNT JusT THeN, so I maDe A WronG PREDIkSHun.

Wow that was weird.

I've said it before and I will say it again, March is a nasty 31 days. I expect demise. Deathlist excells in that month.

I've said it before and I will say it again, March is a nasty 31 days. I expect demise. Deathlist excells in that month.

I'm getting deja vu here.

DL has pretty much sucked so far in 2007, so hopefully our luck will turn.

Statistically March is the deadliest month.... :rolleyes:

Statistically March is the deadliest month.... :dead:

Not to mention that everyone was complaining all last year and it was our second best year AND that our best year ever didn't have a single hit until March...

Indeed CP, incidentally, setting up this thread isn't a complaint, more a trawl of popular opinion, if such a thing could be said to exist hereabouts. There are some - Messner, Biggs, Sharon - that should be savoured like fine wine and WILL BE finished off within the year. I'm a long way short of panic stations.

Indeed CP, incidentally, setting up this thread isn't a complaint, more a trawl of popular opinion, if such a thing could be said to exist hereabouts. There are some - Messner, Biggs, Sharon - that should be savoured like fine wine and WILL BE finished off within the year. I'm a long way short of panic stations.

Fair enough. My guess is that they'll all be around come March, but the size of March's haul will depend on whether or not one carks it this month (bigger in March if they all live).

On further reflection, I say if someone does die, it's someone less expected ie. Not Tammy Faye, Sharon, Castro... maybe closer to Lady Bird Johnson.

I don't think February has shown us everything yet... but it may not be a DL candidate who goes... I'm thinking Hazlewood or perhaps the untimely assassination of Obiang Nguema. I noticed Roger Ebert still isn't back yet either...

Whatever~

I have obtained it on a personal informal information lending basis that nobody will be croaking this year who is on the list. It is a puzzlement and to add to the mystery thhe candidates who did not kick off in 2006 but were on that list and now are off the list will be dieing....every last one of them. Interesting how these things occur.

Whatever~

I have obtained it on a personal informal information lending basis that nobody will be croaking this year who is on the list. It is a puzzlement and to add to the mystery thhe candidates who did not kick off in 2006 but were on that list and now are off the list will be dieing....every last one of them. Interesting how these things occur.

Has one of our statistical bods ever analysed how many of the survivors of one year die in the following year?

Regardless of whether they are selected again or not?

Might be interesting.

Taking 2005 as an example. There were 12 deaths.

In 2006 the following on the 2005 list died:

J. K. Galbraith, Al Lewis, Byron Nelson, Milton Friedman, Gerald Ford and PW Botha.

In addition to this, Frankie Laine died in January 2007.

Make your conclusions.

1987:

Clive Dunn, Andre de Cesaris, Jimmy Savile & Ozzy are still with us..

No-one in the '87 list died in 1988...

1989:

Alright there were 3 hits, but 1989 must be the worst list ever!

Melly, Bruno, Robson, Mandela, Mike Ditka (who?), Paisley, Kendall, Brian Wilson, Cyril Smith, David Jenkins & George Cole are still with us. William Hartnell & Wilfred Bramble were already dead! ;)

Malcolm Muggeridge died in 1990...

1990:

Noriega, Aznavour, Waldhiem, Allis, Rex Williams, Oprah, Yeltsin, Aquino & Terry Waite are still with us..

None on the list died in 1991, nor did any on the list drawn up for 1991...

1991:

Norman Willis, Patrick Moore, Bernard Manning, Leo Beenakker and Zsa Zsa (just) are still with us..

Magnus Pyke died in 1992 (I'm not counting one's which DL included in the next years list and got right!)

1992:

Walter Cronkite, Tom Finney, Shaun Ryder and Vincent O'Brien are still with us (O'Brien could return to the list - he's 90!).

None died in 1993...

1993:

Still with us - Tony Bennett, Tony Curtis, John Demanjuk, Henry Kissinger, Ray Kennedy, George Lineker (shame on you!), Eric Sykes, Michael Foot & Jerry Lee Lewis..

Loads died in 1994, but ones missed were Charles Bukowski and Annie Walker off of Corrie...

1994:

Still with us - Edmund White, Anne Kirkbride (?), Yitshak Shamir, Holly Johnson, Jeremy Thorpe, Peter Shilton & our old friend Fidel...

Missed out on Peter Wright & Harold Wilson in 1995...

Bette Davis died in 1989!

1995:

Still with us - Edmund Hilary, Arthur C. Clarke, Bruce Forsythe & Sean Connery.

Geoffery Dickens died in 1995, but it was the wrong one! (MP rather than the historian)

1996:

Still with us - Icons of the 80s (JR & Mr T), Fats Domino, Bill Deades.

Clean sweep in '97 as the Death List starts to hone down its top 50... :)

1997:

Still with us - Norman Wisdom, Mickey Rooney & Kirk Douglas (combined age 268!)

DL got 4 right in 1998 from the 97 list..

1998:

Still with us - General Whathisname from Poland, Alexander Solzhenitsyn..

Missed out on Anne Haddy in 1999...

1999:

Still with us - Evel Knievel, Valclav Havel, Nick Leeson & Carly Simon

Rewarded for perserverance with 6 hits in 2000, with one miss - Victor Borge

2000:

Still with us - Ronnie Biggs' first appearance. Louis Farrakhan

Missed out on Anthony Quinn and John Lee Hooker.

2001:

Still with us - Ernest Gallo, Desmond Mediocredegreegrade, Liza Minelli, Jack Jones, Eli Wallach. Chapman Pincher and Herman Wouk are worth a punt in 2008, providing they hang on..

2002:

Still with us - Albert Hoffman, Maharishi, Brady, Alex Higgins, Levi-Strauss, Suharto, Niemeyer and (possibly) Osama Bin Laden..

6 hits and no misses in 2003's record breaking year!

2003:

Still with us - Harry Morgan

6 hits in 2004. Missed out on Yasser Arafat surprisingly...

2004:

Still with us - Pervez Musharraf, Dom Mintoff, Cliff Michelmore and Robert Mugabe..

No-one died in 2005 from the 2004 list..

2005:

Still with us - Big list not surprising as it's only 2 years ago...

Astor, Liz Taylor, Claire Raynor, Karzai, Maradona, La Motta, Tony Martin, Jane Wyman, Betty Ford, O'Sullevan, Jerry Lewis, Les Paul, de Havilland.

JK Galbraith was the big miss in 2006...

Guest Guest

So january and february have now passed with no deathlist hits! Only 3 times in the past has this miserable state of affairs happened.Who wil save deathlist from this famine of death? :)

Guest Guest

PS if no-one has died from the list by march 23 it will be the worst start to the year for deathlist since 1991- when nobody died during the year at all! :)

PS if no-one has died from the list by march 23 it will be the worst start to the year for deathlist since 1991- when nobody died during the year at all! :)

Back Down. I assume that we will have atleast one hit this month, hopefully as expected before March 23. I would watch the centurians. Especially the top five.

Guest TheUnknownMan

Back Down. I assume that we will have atleast one hit this month, hopefully as expected before March 23. I would watch the centurians. Especially the top five.

I think it will be Tammy Faye Messner, who is on my DDP.

March tends to be a good month for hits....

In light of the signal lack of success so far this year, coupled with the somewhat eclectic and largely unknown group of individuals who populate this year's list, one wonders whether the Deathlist itself should be earmarked as a potential candidate for 2008.

The list appears to have deviated from selecting those most likely to die from a pool of readily recognisable potential cadavers, to one which comprises a group of individuals who patently do not pass the "celebrity" test in any shape or form, nor display any justifiable predisposition towards an imminent romp in the Elysian Fields. Not only that, there is an inexplicable obsession [q.v. Clive Dunn] with individuals who continue to stoutly defy Charon's blandishments. The persistence with such obvious non runners coupled with the sheer blandness of the current selection suggests that it is the Deathlist itself which is currently in receipt of the Last Rites.

Discuss.

:referee:

[mod approved hcw]

[Thread merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

If you look at the DDP you will see that most of the winning teams are only in the position they are due to two dead Iraqis and a tragic cancer girl.

All three of these are ruled on the DL due to unofficial rules.

There is nothing wrong with the DL, just that all the wrong types are dying.

Smith was unexpected. Laine died due to complications after hip surgery. These deaths were more unfortunate than expected. Did we not all think that Art Buchwald was recovered?

Magnus Magnusson on the other hand - that was just careless. Admittedly he was not on my own top twenty but he was on the top 50 (near the bottom).

As far as I can see, we are only 2 behind on last year. Hardly a disaster.

These things tend to run in streaks. We'll have a hot March and be right back on track.