Guest iain

Damn, won't anyone die?

I think its just that people expect the picks to start dropping like flies at the beginning of the year - we're just 1/6 into the year - it could take some time for the pace to quicken.

Tammy has gone almost 3 months without a lovely "note" on her website. I think she will die around Easter - to make it most ironic.

If you look at the DDP you will see that most of the winning teams are only in the position they are due to two dead Iraqis and a tragic cancer girl.

All three of these are ruled on the DL due to unofficial rules.

There is nothing wrong with the DL, just that all the wrong types are dying.

Smith was unexpected. Laine died due to complications after hip surgery. These deaths were more unfortunate than expected. Did we not all think that Art Buchwald was recovered?

Magnus Magnusson on the other hand - that was just careless. Admittedly he was not on my own top twenty but he was on the top 50 (near the bottom).

As far as I can see, we are only 2 behind on last year. Hardly a disaster.

Guest Bob

I'm very disappointed. 50 people picked, and only one death in over a month and a half. In my dead pool I've already had four kills (Benny Parsons, Michael Brecker, Art Buchwald, Frankie Lane). Gallo's been dead for a week and a half almost, and it still reads "Details to follow" on the first page of this site. Uh, follow when? Next year?

[Posts moved from the Ernest Gallo thread - ff]

I'm just wondering why the front page is still saying 'details to follow' next to the announcement. Usually these things are up pretty quickly.

I'm just curious :D

Methinks GR's the one who fills in these details

My my my what a slow start to this year it has been! I no that last year it took the old dears a while to start droping off the perch but this is plain ridiculous! To be honest I wasnt that impressed by this years selection, I mean the likes of Olivia Dehavilland purlease, it just doesnt make sense.

Perhaps the past few years of recent success have made the selecters a tad lazy? Therefore a bit of a failure this year wouldnt be all bad and would perhaps rejuvenate everyone for next year?

[Merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

Bit hasty with the above I reckon, the list was lacking a Lou Rawles. I suppose a few death-row Iraquis could have bumped up the figures and Lee Hazlewood should've been on there, but otherwise there are some probables - Sharon, Biggs, Messner etc. - and some very old oldsters - Muhammad, Astor - so it's a reasonable list compiled at an unpromising time. I'm guessing this is like watching and harvesting a crop, i.e. we'll gather 'em in later in the year.

I reckon we'll break double figures, and since I don't pick 'em I'm not biased in thinking so.

but otherwise there are some probables - Sharon, Biggs, Messner etc.

Maybe the other two, but Biggs is going nowhere. I'm quite confident he'll make 80 in 2009.

It's been quite quiet anyway lately.

To also be fair, bar perhaps Maurice Papon, and arguably Magnus Magnusson (all that was known was he had cancer, not pancreatic cancer), you can argue none of those who have died in 2007 have really been bad misses. Time will tell though if not picking Hazlewood & picking the likes of Eli Wallach will bear out or not.

Biggs is going nowhere. I'm quite confident he'll make 80 in 2009.

I'm not, I've bagged him for a DP or two this year. I take your point about his durability but livin' like that ain't livin', sort of thing. I have a hunch he'll go this year, or early next at the outside.

If you look at the DDP you will see that most of the winning teams are only in the position they are due to two dead Iraqis and a tragic cancer girl.

All three of these are ruled on the DL due to unofficial rules.

There is nothing wrong with the DL, just that all the wrong types are dying.

As far as I can see, we are only 2 behind on last year. Hardly a disaster.

good point made here.....I feel a few hits are just over the horizon . And I think those that picked the 2 Iraqis and a tragic cancer girl just weren't playing the game properly ;)

this is turning out to be one hell of a bad year for deathlist! I bet someone like Boris Yeltsin or Charlton heston will snuff it now theyre not even on the list anymore,knowing our luck!

this is turning out to be one hell of a bad year for deathlist!

Agreed. Everyone seems to be in surprisingly good health.

It's April and the panic's set in already? This year's going to be rather like Man Utd v Bayern Munich in 1999, as we head into late December the Grim Reaper's going to pop up at the near post and put a few souls into the back of the net.

It's April and the panic's set in already? This year's going to be rather like Man Utd v Bayern Munich in 1999, as we head into late December the Grim Reaper's going to pop up at the near post and put a few souls into the back of the net.

Well last year was a bit like that. Last quarter of the year and it was raining corpses!

I haven't had a hit on my 50 since January...

well as you're all too well aware by now this has been a disastrous year so far for deathlist.It's now the joint 2nd worst year ever,along with 1997.Only in 3 previous years,1987,1991 and 1997 have only one or fewer 'hits' been acheived by this day,april 17.Its not a good omen-in 1987 only 1 died in the whole year,and in 1991 nobody at all! So we can only hope and pray things pick up substantially in the near future.I knew that ending last year on 13 deaths would be an unlucky omen and so it has proved!

of course we shouldnt be wanting people to die really..unles theyre really sick and would be betetr off dead.

well as you're all too well aware by now this has been a disastrous year so far for deathlist.It's now the joint 2nd worst year ever,along with 1997.Only in 3 previous years,1987,1991 and 1997 have only one or fewer 'hits' been acheived by this day,april 17.Its not a good omen-in 1987 only 1 died in the whole year,and in 1991 nobody at all! So we can only hope and pray things pick up substantially in the near future.I knew that ending last year on 13 deaths would be an unlucky omen and so it has proved!

Disastrous year for the Deathlist? Perhaps, but it's only a quarter over, and we all remember the complaints that were flowing in around this time last year, which ended up being our second best year ever. Not many people of note have been dying this year, is all.

Take the DDP for example. Out of 1,764 "celebrities" 37 have died. That's about 2%. Granted, a significant number of the picks are crap, but last year, by April 16, 27 out of about 964 had died or about 3%. Meanwhile, the DL has had 1 hit out of 50, which is 2%. The fact that more have died without a UK obit is irrelevant because those candidates could not have been DL hits either, for that very reason.

But then consider this. Out of the 37 celebrities, (WWI veterans, "world's oldest," executed prisoners, Josie Grove, Marcheline Bertrand etc.) 11 do not meet the DL criteria. That leaves 25 (since Ernest Gallo was the mutual hit) which can be divided into several categories:

People no one championed on the forums: George Sewell, Freddie Francis, Baron Francis Arthur Cockfield, Carlo Ponti, Frankie Laine, Baroness Lena Jeger, Betty Hutton, Eddie Robinson

People who died unexpectedly: Kurt Vonnegut, Anna Nicole Smith, Bruce Bennett, Arthur Schlesinger Jr

People who we would fit in the Ruby Muhammad "sketchy notability" category: Sir Arthur Marshall, Robert Anton Wilson, A.I. Bezzerides, Michael Brecker, Benny Parsons, Molly Ivins

Others: Maurice Papon, Magnus Magnusson, Yvonne de Carlo, Art Buchwald, Sidney Sheldon, Charles Forte, John Inman

Out of the others:

Buchwald was looking to be on the mend at the end of 2006, there was no news about de Carlo's health, no one knew that Magnusson had pancreatic cancer, Forte was just one of any number of old people that could have been chosen and Inman was as vaguely ill as any number of suggestions on the DL.

So out of the seven, only Papon and Sheldon can be considered serious misses. Arguments could also be made about Magnusson, Forte and Inman, but those three would have just been shots in the twilight. So really, while the list is far from perfect, it's not as bad as it looks and it certainly, given the fact that we're only one quarter through the year, I really think people should just quit complaining until year's end. Look how foolish a lot of people looked at the end of 2006, when DL pulled off its 2nd best year ever. I'll be the first to say that many aspects of the list were poorly conceived but a)complaining won't help :angry: we haven't had all that many reasonable misses and c) the year is far from over!

So, what you are saying here is that we are ahead of the game in comparrison to 1991? That's fnatastic! We're a success!

I have a feeling that things are going to take a turn for the better very soon..... :blink::blink::rip::rip:

Ok ok so maybe not a complete disaster as yet but it has hardly been a stellar year for Deathlist. I kind of think its inevitable, the team had been doing so well in recent years at somepoint they was going to be a setback. I think the overall number to die this year will be somewere around the 6/7 mark. Hopefully all it well mean is that the team realise they cant rest on their laurels and really put alot of effort in picking a set of better characters for next year. I.e Olivia de Havilland was always a no brainer she is in good health as such better to pick the likes of people like Hutton/De Carlo who no longer make appearences in public, usually a sign they are not in the best of health.

Ok ok so maybe not a complete disaster as yet but it has hardly been a stellar year for Deathlist. I kind of think its inevitable, the team had been doing so well in recent years at somepoint they was going to be a setback. I think the overall number to die this year will be somewere around the 6/7 mark. Hopefully all it well mean is that the team realise they cant rest on their laurels and really put alot of effort in picking a set of better characters for next year. I.e Olivia de Havilland was always a no brainer she is in good health as such better to pick the likes of people like Hutton/De Carlo who no longer make appearences in public, usually a sign they are not in the best of health.

Picking De Havilland doesn't worry me, it's always good to have some long shots. Some people's lives end slowly and they fade away, others effectively fall off the cliff face, who's to say she won't be a Beachy Head as opposed to a Malvern Hill?

Disastrous year for the Deathlist? Perhaps, but it's only a quarter over, and we all remember the complaints that were flowing in around this time last year, which ended up being our second best year ever. Not many people of note have been dying this year, is all.

Take the DDP for example. Out of 1,764 "celebrities" 37 have died. That's about 2%. Granted, a significant number of the picks are crap, but last year, by April 16, 27 out of about 964 had died or about 3%. Meanwhile, the DL has had 1 hit out of 50, which is 2%. The fact that more have died without a UK obit is irrelevant because those candidates could not have been DL hits either, for that very reason.

But then consider this. Out of the 37 celebrities, (WWI veterans, "world's oldest," executed prisoners, Josie Grove, Marcheline Bertrand etc.) 11 do not meet the DL criteria. That leaves 25 (since Ernest Gallo was the mutual hit) which can be divided into several categories:

People no one championed on the forums: Frankie Laine, Betty Hutton

People who died unexpectedly: Kurt Vonnegut, Bruce Bennett

Others: Maurice Papon, Magnus Magnusson, Yvonne de Carlo, Art Buchwald, Sidney Sheldon, Charles Forte, John Inman

Out of the others:

Buchwald was looking to be on the mend at the end of 2006, there was no news about de Carlo's health, no one knew that Magnusson had pancreatic cancer, Forte was just one of any number of old people that could have been chosen and Inman was as vaguely ill as any number of suggestions on the DL.

So out of the seven, only Papon and Sheldon can be considered serious misses. Arguments could also be made about Magnusson, Forte and Inman, but those three would have just been shots in the twilight. So really, while the list is far from perfect, it's not as bad as it looks and it certainly, given the fact that we're only one quarter through the year, I really think people should just quit complaining until year's end. Look how foolish a lot of people looked at the end of 2006, when DL pulled off its 2nd best year ever. I'll be the first to say that many aspects of the list were poorly conceived but a)complaining won't help B ) we haven't had all that many reasonable misses and c) the year is far from over!

Very well said, Paulie.

However, Frankie Laine had his own thread & was on the Deathlist before. Whilst it is understandable he wasn't on the deathlist, considering the likes of de Havilland, Wallach & Lynn who are all fit as a fiddle, Laine's passing can be considered as much as a miss as Papon.

Bennett, too, because of his age could've been a contender. I wouldn't have said he died "unexpectedly" at the age of 100!

As you've said, quite simply, although famous people have died, the ones that people are expecting like Zahir Shah, Hazlewood, Sharon, Castro, Messner, Melly, Tomlinson etc. etc. haven't gone. Quite remarkable how some are still going.

But remember that Dave AKA Iain moaned about the 2006 list & looked what happened there, so maybe it's a good omen.... :blink:

I was going to let this go, but when I got to the last sentence, I had to read, and re-read it a couple of times before I understood what you were trying to say. For God's sake, use punctuation if you want anyone to understand your witterings.

For someone that once said...

Hmm I'm suspecting that Miss Whisp has some very serious anger management issues, which when coupled with her complete lack of ability to grasp basic grammar and spelling has resulted in these seemingly pointless tirades.
your ability/grasp leave a little to be desired.

I disagree with the notion that this year's DeathList is a poor one. As has been pointed out before -- it hasn't been a good year for anyone (except maybe those that picked a certain young cancer-stricken girl).

I was going to let this go, but when I got to the last sentence, I had to read, and re-read it a couple of times before I understood what you were trying to say. For God's sake, use punctuation if you want anyone to understand your witterings.

Hmm I'm suspecting that Miss Whisp has some very serious anger management issues, which when coupled with her complete lack of ability to grasp basic grammar and spelling has resulted in these seemingly pointless tirades.

I disagree with the notion that this year's DeathList is a poor one. As has been pointed out before -- it hasn't been a good year for anyone (except maybe those that picked a certain young cancer-stricken girl).

In response, my puntuation and grammer may leave something to be desired, but it doesnt seem to have held me back in life. 5 As at Alevel and a very good degree despite the poor english, not bad eh. Most of the mistakes arise out of the fact that i am normally mega busy and dont reread my posts. Anyways you sad cow how can you remember one of my insignificant posts from months ago and then crossrefrence it with something else i wrote almost a year later. Some people really need to get a life, i can picture you now ugly, fat and sat all alone at your computer the anger rising as you read what other people have written. Please get a grip, i suggest getting out more often!

In response, my puntuation and grammer may leave something to be desired, but it doesnt seem to have held me back in life. 5 As at Alevel and a very good degree despite the poor english, not bad eh. Most of the mistakes arise out of the fact that i am normally mega busy and dont reread my posts. Anyways you sad cow how can you remember one of my insignificant posts from months ago and then crossrefrence it with something else i wrote almost a year later. Some people really need to get a life, i can picture you now ugly, fat and sat all alone at your computer the anger rising as you read what other people have written. Please get a grip, i suggest getting out more often!

A fat, ugly Australian chick? Nah can't see it myself.

Poor comprehension this time Mr Macabre, I believe you are confusing XX and XY. (I suggest you Google it).

Never mind, I wouldn't expect anything less from a self-proclaimed 5 A A-level, university qualified student, who appears to have difficulty stringing a sentence or two together.

I find it a very poor excuse for someone to be too mega-busy to re-read what they post, when they a. Have the time to post on a forum such as this, b. Expect other people to have enough time to read their post when they can't be arsed themselves. c. Expect anyone else to be interested in their opinion if they themselves don't care how their opinion is interpreted, or whether it is even understood. Such a low signal-to-noise-ratio often results in whatever valid information there is being lost completely.

I suggest that if you use small words, short sentences, and limit yourself to commas, full stops and sentence capitalisation, even DL members as dim-witted and laggardly as myself will be able to understand your brilliant and lofty memes.

I'll also help free up some of your valuable time by offering to not read your posts, so you don't have to worry about me following anything complex you wish to post making sense or following any kind of pesky arbitrary communication, language or grammar conventions.

Ah, the wonders of the ignore button. A win-win situation all round.

As a super-brainy, superbly qualified and mega-busy person of such eminence, I'm sure you'd agree with this approach, and get on with whatever super-important stuff you're doing. Keep up the good work. It must be hard at the top.

Poor comprehension this time Mr Macabre, I believe you are confusing XX and XY. (I suggest you Google it).

Never mind, I wouldn't expect anything less from a self-proclaimed 5 A A-level, university qualified student, who appears to have difficulty stringing a sentence or two together.

I find it a very poor excuse for someone to be too mega-busy to re-read what they post, when they a. Have the time to post on a forum such as this, b. Expect other people to have enough time to read their post when they can't be arsed themselves. c. Expect anyone else to be interested in their opinion if they themselves don't care how their opinion is interpreted, or whether it is even understood. Such a low signal-to-noise-ratio often results in whatever valid information there is being lost completely.

I suggest that if you use small words, short sentences, and limit yourself to commas, full stops and sentence capitalisation, even DL members as dim-witted and laggardly as myself will be able to understand your brilliant and lofty memes.

I'll also help free up some of your valuable time by offering to not read your posts, so you don't have to worry about me following anything complex you wish to post making sense or following any kind of pesky arbitrary communication, language or grammar conventions.

Ah, the wonders of the ignore button. A win-win situation all round.

As a super-brainy, superbly qualified and mega-busy person of such eminence, I'm sure you'd agree with this approach, and get on with whatever super-important stuff you're doing. Keep up the good work. It must be hard at the top.

I would just like to thankyou for all the compliments, they are much appreciated. But of course you wont be reading this post, but just in case thankyou for finding the time to respond to my comments. To be quite fair, the problem here is that you completly took a comment i made about Miss Whisp out of context!!! Although i did criticise her grammer my issue was that she kept making pointless tirades against other members who disagreed with her views (on Elizabeth Taylor, if my memory serves me correct).

I very rarely post on here (27 in two years) and in that time i have never criticised other members apart from pointless ranters. To be quite fair you were the one to post a very hostile response, to a post that was far from incomprehensible. Anyways life is far too short to get involved in futile disputes with individuals one does not even no!So Honez I shall indeed attempt to clean up the grammer and spelling mistakes!! Happy now?