Death list boy

1. Jimmy Carter

He approaches 97.

It will take a while before someone breaks his age record.

Biden is already a bit frail, Trump has an unhealthy behaviour. 
Probably Clinton or Bush could do it.

1 hour ago, Donald said:

He approaches 97.

It will take a while before someone breaks his age record.

Biden is already a bit frail, Trump has an unhealthy behaviour. 
Probably Clinton or Bush could do it.

Obama should come close. Carter was 56 when he left the White House. Obama was 55. Obama keeps fit and active and he quit smoking early in his presidency.

By the time he reaches Biden's age now Obama would be 23 years an ex-president. I find that a bit surreal. I am beginning to think the 2008 ticket which produced two presidents should have been reversed. Biden going first when politics was more moderate and institutional and Obama as president now. Obama had far more talent which looking back I think was wasted in a time period where members of his own party didn't share the same height of ambition that he had. Whereas Biden who historically was a moderate himself is now pushing through very ambitious programs because the party is in sync. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, coolman5464 said:

He's at death's door.

Trump_Inauguration_69075.jpg-a4d01.jpg (960×640) - Google Chrome 2021-07-23 4_56_36 PM (2).png

Trump_Inauguration_69075.jpg-a4d01.jpg (960×640) - Google Chrome 2021-07-23 4_57_56 PM (2).png

Just because it says Exit.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just because it says Exit.....

Nah just look at him now.

2 minutes ago, coolman5464 said:

Nah just look at him now.

Dilip Kumar looked like he's at death's door for over 10 years. Bob Dole has looked like he's at death's door for atleast 7 years. And don't get me started on Bouteflika.

Carter looks like the usual 96-year old. He doesn't currently have any major health troubles that we know of unlike Dole and there are atleast ten people on the list who look much more horrible than him. It's true that he could die this month but I wouldn't be suprised if he lived another year, two or even three, his health hasn't deteriorated much during the last year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, arghton said:

Dilip Kumar looked like he's at death's door for over 10 years. Bob Dole has looked like he's at death's door for atleast 7 years. And don't get me started on Bouteflika.

Carter looks like the usual 96-year old. He doesn't currently have any major health troubles that we know of unlike Dole and there are atleast ten people on the list who look much more horrible than him. It's true that he could die this month but I wouldn't be suprised if he lived another year, two or even three, his health hasn't deteriorated much during the last year.

2022 is when I think he will go.

Carter's a tricky one to predict, he looks very frail and has been getting more evidently worse for wear in recent years, but I wouldn't rush to say he's definitely at death's door. He could have another year or two in him if he stays in decent health, but if it comes out that he's battling a serious illness at any point I'd give him a month or two after that news drops.

1 hour ago, Katyusha said:

Carter's a tricky one to predict, he looks very frail and has been getting more evidently worse for wear in recent years, but I wouldn't rush to say he's definitely at death's door. He could have another year or two in him if he stays in decent health, but if it comes out that he's battling a serious illness at any point I'd give him a month or two after that news drops.

Let me sum that up for you: he's nearly ninety-fucking-seven!

55 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Let me sum that up for you: he's nearly ninety-fucking-seven!

We had Zsa Zsa before so...

Carter will probably outlive Biden.

On 03/08/2021 at 22:57, Elvis is alive! said:

Carter will probably outlive Biden.

I don't think so. Joe Biden looks much stronger.

_118367435_e0gkdddxiae6nv5.jpg

• Haha 1

I find this man so incredibly boring. I sigh whenever I see pointless activity in this thread every fucking week.

Don’t understand what’s remotely interesting about him, and you can’t say that about 90% of U.S. Presidents. They tend to pack in a lot of personality, controversy and have interesting legacies. Not Jimmy though… time for the Reaper to taketh him.

• Like 1

The most interestings things about him, atleast to me, are his longevity and length of his "retirement" (97 soon, 40 years since he stopped being the U.S. Pres) and that he's the last cold war US President. And of course the work that he has done after his presidency. Not a lot of interesting things about his life prior to his presidency, from during it or from the next ~15 years after it

Carter also wasn't a WWII combat veteran, unlike the two notable U.S. politicians in the list, Kissinger and Bob Dole:

Kissinger was put in charge of the administration of the city of Krefeld at the end of WWII and tracked down Gestapo officers, Dole was seriously wounded in 1945:

"Dole was paralyzed from the neck down and transported to a military hospital near Kansas, expected to die. Suffering blood clots, a life-threatening infection and a fever of almost 109 degrees; after large doses of penicillin were not successful, he overcame the infection with the administration of streptomycin, which at the time was still an experimental drug."

• Like 1

The thing that makes Carter's presidency interesting to me is just how much a product of its time it was. Presidents like Biden, Nixon, or Reagan ran multiple times before winning. Obama, had he not won in '08, would probably have been a top-tier candidate for decades to come. 

By contrast, the sequence of events that leads to Carter's presidency seems pretty intimately tied to him winning in the first post-Watergate election. The ideas he was running on and the image he presented were very much geared towards the moment. He was an obscure former governor from a state that was relatively unimportant at the time and somehow catapulted to the White House (where he was, arguably, in way over his head from minute one, but few politicians probably could have navigated that time very well). The Carter presidency seems like a historical oddity, like it shouldn't have even happened. The fact that '76 was so close and he was thrown out in a landslide four years later almost adds to this for me.

• Like 3

On 23/07/2021 at 00:02, anonymous said:

Obama should come close. Carter was 56 when he left the White House. Obama was 55. Obama keeps fit and active and he quit smoking early in his presidency.

By the time he reaches Biden's age now Obama would be 23 years an ex-president. I find that a bit surreal. I am beginning to think the 2008 ticket which produced two presidents should have been reversed. Biden going first when politics was more moderate and institutional and Obama as president now. Obama had far more talent which looking back I think was wasted in a time period where members of his own party didn't share the same height of ambition that he had. Whereas Biden who historically was a moderate himself is now pushing through very ambitious programs because the party is in sync. 

No way biden would’ve defeated Mccain or even hillary

9 hours ago, odeon said:

No way biden would’ve defeated Mccain or even hillary

Getting a bit off-topic here, but I think just about any Democrat could have won in 2008. The Bush administration was extremely unpopular and they and the Republicans became very closely associated with the recession. Certainly some Democrats would have won narrower victories than Obama did, but I can’t imagine many serious candidates would have straight-up lost. 

i do agree though that I genuinely have no idea how Biden could have won the Democratic nomination that year though. 

2 minutes ago, JustPassingThrough said:

Getting a bit off-topic here, but I think just about any Democrat could have won in 2008. The Bush administration was extremely unpopular and they and the Republicans became very closely associated with the recession. Certainly some Democrats would have won narrower victories than Obama did, but I can’t imagine many serious candidates would have straight-up lost. 

McCain would have stood a better chance had he not plumped for Sarah Palin as his running mate

Any Democrat would have won. The economy had just tanked in a huge way, and people forget now how much the average voter was scared of Sarah Palin getting near the Presidency. 

On 03/08/2021 at 23:59, Ulitzer95 said:

I find this man so incredibly boring. I sigh whenever I see pointless activity in this thread every fucking week.

Don’t understand what’s remotely interesting about him, and you can’t say that about 90% of U.S. Presidents. They tend to pack in a lot of personality, controversy and have interesting legacies. Not Jimmy though… time for the Reaper to taketh him.

This documentary might change your mind

33 minutes ago, anonymous said:

This documentary might change your mind

I really don’t care for the links between politicians and popular culture. It’s a distraction from their credibility and their execution of the office. Obama did this a lot… PR stunts galore on the basketball court, the dance floor, appearances on Jimmy Fallon. Every liberal in the U.S. sucking it up, meanwhile he delivered very little effective change as a President. Anyway, my point was in comparison to most other DL picks, he’s a pretty boring type. The fact that he enjoys popular music doesn’t change that for me.

31 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I really don’t care for the links between politicians and popular culture. It’s a distraction from their credibility and their execution of the office. Obama did this a lot… PR stunts galore on the basketball court, the dance floor, appearances on Jimmy Fallon. Every liberal in the U.S. sucking it up, meanwhile he delivered very little effective change as a President. Anyway, my point was in comparison to most other DL picks, he’s a pretty boring type. The fact that he enjoys popular music doesn’t change that for me.

That's fair enough although the difference between Obama is he was already in the media eye/pop culture arena ahead of running for president.

Whereas these musicians gravitated to Carter's message just like millions of ordinary folks did in 1976 because they bought what he was selling. Carter wasn't a telegenic figure like Reagan which was to his detriment as president but on the campaign trail he captivated large crowds and changed the way presidential nomination contests worked forever. He made the Iowa caucus significant by outcampaigning everyone on the ground to get an against the odds result. He went from total obscurity to president of the United States in about fourteen months. You don't achieve all that by being boring or uninteresting. 

27 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm not a fan of it either - Blair jumped the shark somewhat in the 90s with it, to the point Pulp was satirising it in 1997!

As for Carter, I find him fascinating. He's the only man who ever rose from social housing and a bank loan collapsing business to become President of the US. (Yeah he had a famous dad who left him with fuck all money, which put him slightly further up the ladder than Joe Bloggs but still.) Then, when he became President, he tried to be the type of President people always claim they want. A straight talker who wont bullshit them about the economy. Someone who wont send the troops into battle needlessly. A negotiator. etc etc etc.

And they recoiled. They hated his straight talking and diplomacy the second it hurt them in their pocket. Rushed right back to the Republicans. It's a very telling story (which is still relevant imo).

In office his biggest achievement was the Camp David Accords, which is a plus imo as it has had two warring enemies at peace with each other for over 40 years now. However, it does sum up Carter's time in office that even this achievement could have been far wider reaching if someone with intelligence had twigged to bring more parties on board. (Sadat convinced Carter that Jordan would agree to terms without being included, Jordan very much didn't, and the Egypt/Jordan (and allies)/Israel issue has been problematic since!) It wound up being a net plus for the region but it could have transformed the entire Middle East.

I find flawed but fundamentally decent people  (note, not political party relevant) who go into systems and get chewed up fascinating, myself. They all want to be Mr Smith. Mr Smith lost.

(As for his reputation, it's not that difficult to understand? Old man who talks about peace for 40 years is going to gain fans!)

Far more ground to debate and discuss than I've ever found with the likes of David Cameron or Keir Starmer tbh.

• Like 4

On 14/08/2021 at 12:47, msc said:

I'm not a fan of it either - Blair jumped the shark somewhat in the 90s with it, to the point Pulp was satirising it in 1997!

As for Carter, I find him fascinating. He's the only man who ever rose from social housing and a bank loan collapsing business to become President of the US. (Yeah he had a famous dad who left him with fuck all money, which put him slightly further up the ladder than Joe Bloggs but still.) Then, when he became President, he tried to be the type of President people always claim they want. A straight talker who wont bullshit them about the economy. Someone who wont send the troops into battle needlessly. A negotiator. etc etc etc.

And they recoiled. They hated his straight talking and diplomacy the second it hurt them in their pocket. Rushed right back to the Republicans. It's a very telling story (which is still relevant imo).

In office his biggest achievement was the Camp David Accords, which is a plus imo as it has had two warring enemies at peace with each other for over 40 years now. However, it does sum up Carter's time in office that even this achievement could have been far wider reaching if someone with intelligence had twigged to bring more parties on board. (Sadat convinced Carter that Jordan would agree to terms without being included, Jordan very much didn't, and the Egypt/Jordan (and allies)/Israel issue has been problematic since!) It wound up being a net plus for the region but it could have transformed the entire Middle East.

I find flawed but fundamentally decent people  (note, not political party relevant) who go into systems and get chewed up fascinating, myself. They all want to be Mr Smith. Mr Smith lost.

(As for his reputation, it's not that difficult to understand? Old man who talks about peace for 40 years is going to gain fans!)

Far more ground to debate and discuss than I've ever found with the likes of David Cameron or Keir Starmer tbh.

One thing I think he gets off rather easily for these days is the boycott of the Moscow Olympics which ruined the careers of hundreds of athletes for the sake of an empty gesture which made no difference to Russia's actions in Afghanistan whatsoever.

It's notable that nobody has seriously suggested doing the same for the 2022 Winter Olympics for the sake of the Uighurs/Hong Kong as they know it would have no effect on China.

On 04/08/2021 at 00:59, Ulitzer95 said:

His post-presidency alone is more fascinating than some US presidencies and many Americans, even the youngsters, still think so, which explains why he was trending on Twitter just 3 days ago and keeps popping up there randomly. You are definitely talking out of your behind on this one.

Now for the actual bores, take James K. Polk out of the equation and check out the who's who of nobodies in the 24 years between Andrew Jackson and Lincoln.

• Like 1