Death list boy

1. Jimmy Carter

Jimmy got a shout out from Biden. Can't be there but they had a phone call last night. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Thank God he made it to see Biden inaugurated. The thought of Trump presiding over  his state funeral didn't bear thinking about ! I guess it's virtually certain that President Biden will have that sad duty...:(

So Carter has lived to see 7 Presidents succeed him (in a couple of hours)..Is that a record?:unsure:

May well be, but he helped himself achieve that by failing to get re-elected!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

So Carter has lived to see 7 Presidents succeed him (in a couple of hours)..Is that a record?:unsure:

The answer is no.

Martin Van Buren (d. 1862) lived to see 8 presidents succeed him:

- William Henry Harrison (Mar. 1841)

- John Tyler (Apr. 1841)

- James K. Polk (1845)

- Zachary Taylor (1849)

- Millard Fillmore (1850)

- Franklin Pierce (1853)

- James Buchanan (1857)

- Abraham Lincoln (1861)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

The answer is no.

Martin Van Buren (d. 1862) lived to see 8 presidents succeed him:

- William Henry Harrison (Mar. 1841)

- John Tyler (Apr. 1841)

- James K. Polk (1845)

- Zachary Taylor (1849)

- Millard Fillmore (1850)

- Franklin Pierce (1853)

- James Buchanan (1857)

- Abraham Lincoln (1861)

That is surely the most Presidents America has had in such a short timespan. Two deaths (eventually 3 with Lincoln) and all effectively single terms.

2 hours ago, Windsor said:

That is surely the most Presidents America has had in such a short timespan. Two deaths (eventually 3 with Lincoln) and all effectively single terms.

8 in 20 years is definitely a record. The US was a bit of a basket case for this period, due to the prevalence of the slavery debate as new states were added. Lots of debates and deals made and lots of party turmoil between pro-slavery and anti-slavery factions. Harrison famously died 31 days into his presidency having caught a chill during a 2-hour inauguration address on a cold, wet day with no coat trying to prove he wasn't frail (that went well). Tyler was an accidental president (in the sense, no one had really considered a VP actually taking over before) and although he initially ran in 1844, he dropped out. Polk served one term, achieved everything he set out to achieve and declined to seek a second term (he died less than 6 months later from cholera). Taylor was a soldier with no strong political affiliation, he died in office barely a year in having fallen ill with a still-unknown definitive illness (there are some who believe he was poisoned but this has never been proved). Fillmore succeeded as VP but lost the nomination fight (but ran again in later years). Pierce was a feckless President whose party turned against him and he wasn't re-nominated for a second term (he was also a raging alcoholic). Buchanan said he'd only serve one term and failed to deal with the growing divide between the North and the South so did just that and you know what happened with Lincoln. The ruling party changed frequently too: 1840 - Whig, 1844 - Democrat, 1848 - Whig, 1852, 1856 - Democrat (two different men though), 1860 - Republican (successor to the Whigs in many ways). It carried on too: between 1837 and 1913, only 1 president (Ulysses S. Grant) served two consecutive full terms (Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms and Teddy Roosevelt took over after McKinley was shot 6 months into his second term). Only two managed it before FDR took over in 1933! (Woodrow Wilson the other). History lesson over. :lol:

Another note, that has been mentioned in these ere parts before: John Tyler, 10th President of the United States between 1841 and 1845 and who died in 1862 still has a living grandson in 2021, 92-year-old Harrison Ruffin Tyler. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

8 in 20 years is definitely a record. The US was a bit of a basket case for this period, due to the prevalence of the slavery debate as new states were added. Lots of debates and deals made and lots of party turmoil between pro-slavery and anti-slavery factions. Harrison famously died 31 days into his presidency having caught a chill during a 2-hour inauguration address on a cold, wet day with no coat trying to prove he wasn't frail (that went well). Tyler was an accidental president (in the sense, no one had really considered a VP actually taking over before) and although he initially ran in 1844, he dropped out. Polk served one term, achieved everything he set out to achieve and declined to seek a second term (he died less than 6 months later from cholera). Taylor was a soldier with no strong political affiliation, he died in office barely a year in having fallen ill with a still-unknown definitive illness (there are some who believe he was poisoned but this has never been proved). Fillmore succeeded as VP but lost the nomination fight (but ran again in later years). Pierce was a feckless President whose party turned against him and he wasn't re-nominated for a second term (he was also a raging alcoholic). Buchanan said he'd only serve one term and failed to deal with the growing divide between the North and the South so did just that and you know what happened with Lincoln. The ruling party changed frequently too: 1840 - Whig, 1844 - Democrat, 1848 - Whig, 1852, 1856 - Democrat (two different men though), 1860 - Republican (successor to the Whigs in many ways). It carried on too: between 1837 and 1913, only 1 president (Ulysses S. Grant) served two consecutive full terms (Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms and Teddy Roosevelt took over after McKinley was shot 6 months into his second term). Only two managed it before FDR took over in 1933! (Woodrow Wilson the other). History lesson over. :lol:

Another note, that has been mentioned in these ere parts before: John Tyler, 10th President of the United States between 1841 and 1845 and who died in 1862 still has a living grandson in 2021, 92-year-old Harrison Ruffin Tyler. 

3B6636FF-DDFA-47D0-B765-2E021F8873C6.png

For some reason he is trending on Twitter but only because it's people wondering why he is trending. Also Donald Trump Jr is saying his father was first president to not start a war and then people replying saying Jimmy Carter was.

Will Trump be at Carter's funeral if the impeachment trial is in progress at the time, I wonder? 

34 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

For some reason he is trending on Twitter but only because it's people wondering why he is trending. Also Donald Trump Jr is saying his father was first president to not start a war and then people replying saying Jimmy Carter was.

well he is the first one since jimmy carter, carter himself wasnt the first one either.

43 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

8 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

well he is the first one since jimmy carter, carter himself wasnt the first one either.

Junior actually said 'first president in modern history' which probably means the last 10 years to him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Will Trump be at Carter's funeral if the impeachment trial is in progress at the time, I wonder? 

Trump won't even attend his own! Seriously, he will probably ban lots of people just as John McCann banned Trump but let Trump's daughter & son-in-law attend. Now the latter two are as bad almost as Trump. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

One theory is that Jimmy Carter has lived longer (40+years) after leaving the presidency thatn any other ex-president in US history - which of course is less than 300 years according to the white extremists.

• Thanks 1

My guess is that the trial would be adjourned for a day or two, to allow not only Trump (assuming he decides to go) but also senior figures like McConnell and Pelosi to be there. I don't think the Carter family can ask the Trumps to stay away as the McCains did.

39 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

He won't be at Carter's funeral, no matter what!!!! Trump is not going to have anything to do with the Former Presidents' Club at all!  And the former Presidents like it that way, who can blame them 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chiesa52 said:
41 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

He won't be at Carter's funeral, no matter what!!!! Trump is not going to have anything to do with the Former Presidents' Club at all!  And the former Presidents like it that way, who can blame them

I suspect you are probably right. The only way I can see him attending is for attention to himself. I can imagine him going to Hillary's funeral and Biden's funeral just to remind both corpses that he beat them.

That's providing he is invited to such events (remember Barbara Bush) and he isn't impeached. If he is impeached there would presumably have no right to attend.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I suspect you are probably right. The only way I can see him attending is for attention to himself. I can imagine him going to Hillary's funeral and Biden's funeral just to remind both corpses that he beat them.

That's providing he is invited to such events (remember Barbara Bush) and he isn't impeached. If he is impeached there would presumably have no right to attend.

Hillary is going to outlive Trump. I'd say Biden has about a 40% chance of outliving Trump. 

On 23/01/2021 at 10:51, Deathrace said:

Hillary is going to outlive Trump. I'd say Biden has about a 40% chance of outliving Trump. 

I don't know about that- Trump has huge health issues that Biden does not have- Biden exercises regularly and keeps in shape- he even walks his dogs!  Trump lives on junk food and rides around the golf course on a golf cart!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chiesa52 said:

I don't know about that- Trump has huge health issues that Biden does not have- Biden exercises regularly and keeps in shape- he even walks his dogs!  Trump lives on junk food and rides around the golf course on a golf cart!

That's true, but I do think it could be close, for two reasons.  One, Biden is 4 years older.  And two, Biden is the one currently in the office, and he'll actually take the job seriously, which means he'll get stressed like most presidents do.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrWonderful said:

That's true, but I do think it could be close, for two reasons.  One, Biden is 4 years older.  And two, Biden is the one currently in the office, and he'll actually take the job seriously, which means he'll get stressed like most presidents do.  

Yes, those are both good points- I guess it will be a race to the finish Hahaha!

On 23/01/2021 at 14:53, Cerberus said:

My guess is that the trial would be adjourned for a day or two, to allow not only Trump (assuming he decides to go) but also senior figures like McConnell and Pelosi to be there. I don't think the Carter family can ask the Trumps to stay away as the McCains did.

This is all entirely academic.There is no reason to believe that Jimmy Carter is going to die in the next few weeks,  other than the fact I've just mentioned it ! I highly doubt Trump wil take a day off from golfing to attend Carters funeral though whenever it is. He might not even go to Melanias ! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

delivers a moving video tribute to Hank Aaron

Face looks discoloured?

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Face looks discoloured?

Sounds like he's struggling for breath as he speaks too. Got the dying old man look and voice.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, msc said:

Sounds like he's struggling for breath as he speaks too. Got the dying old man look and voice.

Yup, agreed. I thought he might see 100 but judging by the look of him in that clip I think he’ll die this year or next.

I'm surprised we got new video footage of him at all. There was another recent Carter video of him commenting on the Biden inauguration but it was of a similar template to the video that played at the DNC - ie audio set to a slideshow.

That said a lot in itself, and getting an actual video makes it all the more obvious. The mind is still sharp, but everything else is crumbling.