Death list boy

1. Jimmy Carter

33 minutes ago, Sean said:

He can't. 

Perhaps he *could*, going through every possible medical treatment until he passes that threshold, but I don't blame him one bit for deciding any care that could prolong his life isn't worth it any more. At some point dying peacefully around loved ones is far better than eking out another year or two hooked to machines.

• Like 7

I see there have only been three DLs that didn't have a POTUS or FLOTUS (1989, 1992, and 2012).

Would any of the others make it in the next little while if both Carters go this year, you think?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Katyusha said:

At some point dying peacefully around loved ones is far better than eking out another year or two hooked to machines

unless you're an old chinese politician

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

I predict 7 days or less.

Heck, could be a few days. Must be very near the end since they announce it like that.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tracy said:

Would any of the others make it in the next little while if both Carters go this year, you think?

Bill Clinton is the only other one I could see going by 2030, unless something unforeseen was to happen to Trump.

Also, Rosalynn isn't necessarily a goner this year. Yes, the Bushes and Nixons died in quick succession but Betty Ford lasted about five years after Gerald and Nancy Reagan lasted almost 12 years after Ronald. Jackie Kennedy and Lady Bird Johnson (although much younger at the time) even survived their husbands by several decades.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Daredevil said:

Bill Clinton is the only other one I could see going by 2030, unless something unforeseen was to happen to Trump.

Bill is, undoubtedly, in a bad way. Trump, maybe a heart attack or something - but famously he doesn't drink or smoke, so he's got less chance of lung/liver cancer than most presidents (including Obama)...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

Heck, could be a few days. Must be very near the end since they announce it like that.

Could even be next morning.

• Like 2

Quite saddened by this news. A genuinely decent person, which is very rare to say in politics. But certainly a life well lived.

Still, the long awaited TJS presidential hit not far off.. and the DI presidential obit.

• Like 10

Very sad about this. A decent man regardless of feelings toward his politics or Presidency

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, tracy said:

I see there have only been three DLs that didn't have a POTUS or FLOTUS (1989, 1992, and 2012).

Not really as it stands.Can see Joe Biden and Bill Clinton debuting this decade but none of the first ladies unless some more info becomes available/ develops.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tracy said:

None of the living FLOTUS's are fit for the list yet.

POTUS wise Bush and Obama are definite nos, Trump and Biden have a higher chance but still unless something occurs in the next 10 months probably not. Clinton seems to have been in and out of hospital quite frequently but I'd still say he has a few years in him yet.

There's also the possibility of VPOTUS's with Cheney appearing to be a main stay on the list but again non of the other veeps (or their partners) are list ready yet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

None of the living FLOTUS's are fit for the list yet.

POTUS wise Bush and Obama are definite nos, Trump and Biden have a higher chance but still unless something occurs in the next 10 months probably not. Clinton seems to have been in and out of hospital quite frequently but I'd still say he has a few years in him yet.

There's also the possibility of VPOTUS's with Cheney appearing to be a main stay on the list but again non of the other veeps (or their partners) are list ready yet.

Arguably, if Biden wasn't currently President, he'd be one to watch as a former VP as well. At least in my opinion.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Feels weird to say this about a 98-year-old who has lasted longer than anyone expected, but this is very sad news to me.

Fuck what you think about his politics or his presidency, he was a good man in an environment that produces plenty of terrible men.

I hope his final days are peaceful.

Yeah I agree I am English but certainly veer to the right but as you rightly say Carter Is a figure than transcends political allegiances and I regard him very highly for the fact he has been resolute in what he believes over decades whilst being pragmatic in his opinions and ensuring his post presidency has been spent in the service of others rather than courting the press for brand recognition.

This is certainly a sad day.Hoping his final hours/days / weeks are as peaceful as they can be.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Comped said:

Arguably, if Biden wasn't currently President, he'd be one to watch as a former VP as well. At least in my opinion.

I think being the incumbent president actually makes him more of a one to watch. The stress of the office degrades even the youngest holders and Biden certainly ain't one of those.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

unless you're an old chinese politician

I've mentioned this previously but in some parts of the world seems like hospice care just isn't a thing.

Tu Tongjin has been in hospital for a decade and god knows what condition he's in now as he was on oxygen and wheelchairbound the last time he was seen around seven or eight years ago. Yan Mingfu's suffered from some degenerative disease for more than a decade and was suffering from a liver disease nearly two decades ago. Lots of examples from other Asian/African countries too, Indian politician Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee has been in late stages of COPD for years now.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, coolman5464 said:

Could even be next morning.

Yes, that's exactly what I think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chiesa52 said:

Yes, that's exactly what I think

I doubt it. For me he’ll last for two weeks or something like that, maybe even more. Like Pelé. Hospice care doesn’t mean he’s on his deathbed. 

40 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I doubt it. For me it last for two weeks or something like that, maybe even more. Like Pelé. Hospice care doesn’t mean he’s on his deathbed. 

Yes, feels like an early March death. March 2nd I'm guessing.

2 hours ago, Sean said:

I can see it being another Prince Philip/QE2 scenario where she lasts less than 18 months 

Could be more like James and Audrey Callaghan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Could be more like James and Audrey Callaghan.

Coincidentally, James Callaghan was the longest-lived England Prime Minister and Jimmy Carter is the longest-lived US president 

• Like 3