1. Jimmy Carter

On 24/02/2022 at 12:32, SovietJohnny said:

Some people refer to HRH Prince Andrew as The Nonce

I'm partial to "The Grand Old Duke of Pork"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Katyusha said:

I'm partial to "The Grand Old Duke of Pork"

You mean you like him or you like that as a name for him?

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Carter-asks-court-to-defend-Alaska-s-unrivaled-17160823.php

“It is overbroad and permits the Secretary of Interior to undo Congressionally designated Wilderness and other conservation lands. Unless reversed, it would open tens of millions of acres of public lands for adverse development,” Carter wrote in a statement.

https://www.king5.com/article/entertainment/television/programs/evening/new-film-starring-seattle-actress-highlights-life-of-presidents-carter-mother/281-9677d5e5-9c21-418a-aa90-d5432df51adc

• Like 1

New picture.

EDIT: Twitter saying that this picture was from 2017.

• Like 6
  • Shocked 1

A massive limp wristed Biden supporter inventing a story that never happened?

Well I never. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

New picture.

EDIT: Twitter saying that this picture was from 2017.

Why is it that so many of these false stories contain a huge round of applause, as if this is in any way normal fucking behaviour?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Why is it that so many of these false stories contain a huge round of applause, as if this is in any way normal fucking behaviour?

Yeah, I think it's a meme:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/and-then-the-whole-bus-clapped

Had to think of that immediately when I read that tweet.

• Like 1

Just realised he and Rosalynn's son Jack Carter turned 75 years yesterday.

Made me think if it Is any other notable couple that both has lived to see their son/ daughter live to 75, or vice versa

4 minutes ago, Putin said:

Made me think if it Is any other people notable couple that both has lived to see their son/ daughter live to 75, or vice versa

Michael Douglas was 75 when Kirk died.

2 minutes ago, Seppuku said:

Michael Douglas was 75 when Kirk died.

Yes, but his mother (Kirk's first wife) was already dead by then.

Also realized at this point Carter has lived longer than not just every US President, but also every First Lady. His lifespan surpassed Bess Truman's about a month ago.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Also realized at this point Carter has lived longer than not just every US President, but also every First Lady. His lifespan surpassed Bess Truman's about a month ago.

If he lives to 98 years and 351 days (17 September 2023) he will surpass the age to John Nance Garner. The oldest US vice president ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Interesting. I never knew Anne Buydens wasn't his mother. Sorry :duck:

Amazed how he keeps going, although unlikely it wouldn’t surprise me if he makes it to 100. I agree it is incredibly rare to have both your parents still alive at 75 years of age, Jack Carter really is lucky, my own Mum says she can’t believe she is 70 in September and her Mum is still around so to have both is incredible. 

• Like 5

On 04/07/2022 at 16:41, Putin said:

Made me think if it Is any other notable couple that both has lived to see their son/ daughter live to 75, or vice versa

prince charles, almost

Happy 76th wedding anniversary to Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter! 

• Like 3

And here's a picture of the couple celebrating their big anniversary today. 

• Like 8

He looks much better than I thought he would.

His wedding anniversary is on the same day.. as someone else important 2 years younger than him...

4 minutes ago, InquilineKea said:

He looks much better than I thought he would.

His wedding anniversary is on the same day.. as someone else important 2 years younger than him...

I have to agree with what you said I’m a little spectial about the chair but he’s almost 98 so it’s kinda normal 

That he's able to still make an appearance (and outdoors) and his legs aren't massively bloated is a good sign. He looked horrible on his 97th, looked horrible in the one from New Year and I was sure he won't make it to 98. He hasn't yet, still three months to go, now I think he'll make it. Both have declined in the last two years and Rosalynn's arms look dangerously thin in that picture.

They feel very much like a George HW and Barbara Bush scenario though. Can't see the other outliving the first by more than 6 months.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

They feel very much like a George HW and Barbara Bush scenario though. Can't see the other outliving the first by more than 6 months.

How many people said that about the Queen and Prince Philip?

4 minutes ago, Windsor said:

How many people said that about the Queen and Prince Philip?

I was not one of them.

Honestly I strongly disagree with all of you, I won’t say he looks good at all. Looks completely lost, has lost a good amount of weight if we look at the way his watch is too loose for his wrist, can’t have his legs straight anymore, his mouth open gives the impression he’s gasping for air… Even the way he’s dressed : I don’t think we’ve seen him in such a pajama-like outfit before without shoes on, which is often a sign the person isn’t able to dress herself anymore. I still think he’ll see 98 but wouldn’t be surprised if he goes right after that. 
Rosalynn looks awful too, she has drastically changed since the last photo I saw of her : thinner, unable to walk, grey hair and everything else 

• Like 1

GHW Bush, Bob Dole, and Billy Graham were both definitely WAY worse in their last few years than Carter is now. Carter doesn't seem as horrible now as Strom Thurmond or Bob Hope were in their last year of life.. (okay maybe Carter is frailer than Strom Thurmond but still has fewer *critical* circulatory health problems). I just looked at the PBS interview of him last year - he isn't terrible in it (tho he sounded more terrible earlier that year when he spoke of Hank Aaron's death).

Edmund Fischer was less frail in the last month of his life than Carter is now (though he was fatter and may have had other health issues)

People can last for years if they're frail but have no progressive/terminal illnesses (Vo Nguyen Giap was in way worse shape for like several years before his death - he was hospitalized for 4 straight years). Prince Phillip was way less frail at 99 but had terminal cardiac issues + surgeries. Carter just... doesn't get sick... (the cancer scare and the falls are different from a progressive illness like what GHW Bush or Bob Dole or Billy Graham). Carter can still make it to 100.

FWIW, I currently live with someone whose physical condition seems... similar to Carter's right now. I've seen the recent decline but the person is not on death's door yet...

https://academic.oup.com/ageing/article/41/6/789/13594

• Like 6