Lady Die

Frank Searle Has Died

Perhaps frustrated in his looking for the ultimate proof, after scanning the loch for a reportedly 20,000 hours, Frank Searle snapped his first alleged image of Nessie on July 27, 1972, near Balachladoich Farm. The supposedly two-humped monster shown was published to international acclaim in the September 1, 1972, issue of London's Daily Mail. Searle became an instant celebrity, and immediately sought out by fans, tourists, and the media, for the "facts" on Nessie. He popularized the Loch Ness Monster pursuit, and was generally wholeheartedly accepted by the monster-hunter community. Soon he erected signs to his location that read "The Frank Searle Loch Ness Investigation," at Lower Foyers, Scotland. Without an admission fee, Searle's caravan exhibition existed solely on donations. Visitors were soon to discover, however, that the exhibit was mostly of displays of newspaper clippings about Searle and copies of Searle's photographs.

Despite the fact the July 1972 photograph appeared to only show a tree trunk, Searle got many media people to come visit, and for a time was the Loch Ness spokesperson most often seen on television. But then, with increasing regularity, Searle produced more and more photographs of the "Monster." It soon became clear his images were crude hoaxes. Searle was only taken seriously for about a year, and then his celebrity status declined rapidly.

Thanks , I love anything relating to cryptozoology.

Guest munch

frank searle was my my uncle, my mother olive was his sister, she has searched for many years for him, after loosing contact in the 70s, sadly i've found him too late & have informed my mother of our sad loss.

frank searle was my my uncle, my mother olive was his sister, she has searched for many years for him, after loosing contact in the 70s, sadly i've found him too late & have informed my mother of our sad loss.

What a tragedy. Though i don't know the circumstances of why you

did not speak with him. Perhaps he carried a great disliking to your side

of the faimly. If that were so i wouldn't be shedding rivers of tears.

Anyhow i think there very well be a loch ness monster. Actually i think

the description of it being a monster may be a bit overated. It's probobly

some kind of seal though much different that was never identified. I'm

sure there are many creatures on this earth that have never been discovered

and most of all deep deep below the sea.

Once many years ago I was willing to be open minded on the possible existence of nessie, but then I read The Loch Nest Mystery Solved .

This totally debunked it for me, and I've laughed at other people who waste their lives on a non-existent creature ever since.

Guest Mr Magoo

I used to spend my teenage years skinny dipping in Loch Ness. I would coast along doing the backstroke while dreaming about all the hot little inverness lassies I would like to stick it to.

For some strange reason, tales of a huge pink single eyed water serpent started to circulate around the area.

I do hope I didn't start the whole legend off!

:lol:

To Munch.

Hi. I have been scouring the internet looking for information about Frank Searle for a few years. He had a son when he lived in Hammersmith, London with my Aunt and my cousin David had some contact with hiim when he was at Loch Ness. Unfortunately the family have now lost contact with David (he chose to go away from us at about age 17.

I read a newpaper article which said Frank died pennilless, in a tiny bedsit and with no known living relatives. I would like to say this was not true and in this you can obviously concur.

spidey

Guest EVO

I've just seen a tv programme all about Frank Searle and his Loch Ness capers. Much was made about how he was a bit of a fraud, but it was still an interesting programme. Sadly he died 6 weeks before the programme maker found out where he lived for an interview.

What I want to know is: did the monster get him?

What I want to know is: did the monster get him?

No, he died of old age in a bedsit.

A surprisingly interesting documentary on Channel 4 though, It covered the whole of seventies to early eighties monster hunting period rather well.

If I get some info on a repeat of "THE MAN WHO CAPTURED NESSIE", I'll post it here.

"THE MAN WHO CAPTURED NESSIE"

wouldn't it more accurately be called "The man who took a photo of a stick", or more succinctly, "The big fat liar"? Nice irony that no one in his family or the program makers could find any trace of him before he died.

wouldn't it more accurately be called "The man who took a photo of a stick", or more succinctly, "The big fat liar"?

Yeah I guess it could, although it would rather give away the story for people not familiar with Searle. I think the best thing about the documentary was that it didn't set out to crucify him (he manages that all by himself).

wouldn't it more accurately be called "The man who took a photo of a stick",

:P

Lovely!

Anyone see that channel 5 programme where they did a nessie spoof and had all the American tourists wetting their pants with excitement? They made a nessie lookalike and floated it on the loch, then 2 divers (cunningly hidden underneath) submerged it next to a tourist boat then kept popping up. That was sooo funny. :P

Guest Mags
To Munch.

Hi. I have been scouring the internet looking for information about Frank Searle for a few years. He had a son when he lived in Hammersmith, London with my Aunt and my cousin David had some contact with hiim when he was at Loch Ness. Unfortunately the family have now lost contact with David (he chose to go away from us at about age 17.

I read a newpaper article which said Frank died pennilless, in a tiny bedsit and with no known living relatives. I would like to say this was not true and in this you can obviously concur.

spidey

To Spidey.

Hi! I guess everyone has seen the Channel 4 documentary about Frank by now. I hunted him from time to time over the years, to no avail. Alas that the internet was'nt around earlier as it would have been amazing to meet him. I am his son David, born to him & Pauline in 1963. We lived in Barnes (London) for a year before he left & I never saw him again. Pauline died when I was 4. I'm not sure which cousin you are but a reply would be great!

A brief word to the Loch Ness Investigation Bureau people: He may have lost the plot but I still believe in that first photo. I've stood on the banks of the loch willing it to appear....:-)

Anyone see that channel 5 programme where they did a nessie spoof and had all the American tourists wetting their pants with excitement? They made a nessie lookalike and floated it on the loch, then 2 divers (cunningly hidden underneath) submerged it next to a tourist boat then kept popping up. That was sooo funny. :P

No, I am sorry (or maybe I am happy) to say that I missed it Wilfred....By the way did you know I have an Unckie Wilford?

So Frank has gone. Who now to take up the reigns as monster hunter? If this thing(s) is a plesiosaur as suggested, is it STILL alive, how long do they live for? Poor thing must be bored of swimming up and down that loch by now! Search, find, and release: the Atlantic Ocean should make a fine new playground :banghead:

Mags, chill, it's not there and it never was, at least not in the form of a prehistoric monster.

Incidentally, has anyone else seen the latest Carling poster in their 'Belong' campaign? A grainy shot of Loch Ness wall to wall with monsters photo-shopped from the 'surgeons' photo of 1933. It's the way Frank would have wanted it, isn't it?

Once many years ago I was willing to be open minded on the possible existence of nessie, but then I read The Loch Nest Mystery Solved .

This totally debunked it for me, and I've laughed at other people who waste their lives on a non-existent creature ever since.

I think it is much more likely that something like Bigfoot could exist than the Loch Ness Monster. I heard the Loch Ness Monster was nothing more than an elephant from a travelling circus! Not so much "Nellie the Elephant" but Nessie! :lol:

elephantlochness.jpg

loch-ness-monster-1.jpg