Mr Stats

World's Oldest

In reality almost every concept can be analyzed differently. I believe some of the modern views are not speaking the outcome but they are speaking of the many outcomes.

Generally every situation has only one outcome.

By fact, that is.

Peace,

The Philosopher

• Like 1

In reality almost every concept can be analyzed differently. I believe some of the modern views are not speaking the outcome but they are speaking of the many outcomes.

By fact, that is.

Peace,

The Philosopher

That's bollocks, that is. How can every situation only have one outcome?

Situation one - there is a donut on my desk.

Possible outcomes

1 - I could eat it.

2 - I could not eat it.

3 - I could throw it out of my window.

4 - I could use it as a pin cushion.

5 - I could use it as a bracelet.

6 - Are you getting my drift?

Apologies if I have missed something deep and meaningful here.

By fact, that is.

Peace,

The Philosopher

Possible outcomes

1 - I could eat it.

2 - I could not eat it.

Yes, but no matter what you do, the universe eventually ends. Therefore, whatever you do with it, existence eventually ends, so there is only one outcome. Maybe that's what he's getting at, short term vs. long term? It may be good logic too - you don't have to worry about the ill-effects of eating the donut since, no mater what, the universe will end. Hell, forget the universe. You will die (eventually), that is the single outcome no matter what you do with the donut. I'm not saying I subscribe to this mode of thinking, just my guess as what our new member is getting at.

Yes, but no matter what you do, the universe eventually ends. Therefore, whatever you do with it, existence eventually ends, so there is only one outcome.

Right on the money!

Peace,

The Philosopher

Yes, but no matter what you do, the universe eventually ends. Therefore, whatever you do with it, existence eventually ends, so there is only one outcome.

Right on the money!

Peace,

The Philosopher

Thank god you were bailed out on that one. Tit.

That statement still makes no sense. It contains about as much wisdom as a bowl of cornflakes.

If we are talking about the universe falling in on itself, then surely there would be no 'generally' about it?

By fact, that is.

Peace,

The Philosopher

Possible outcomes

1 - I could eat it.

2 - I could not eat it.

Yes, but no matter what you do, the universe eventually ends. Therefore, whatever you do with it, existence eventually ends, so there is only one outcome. Maybe that's what he's getting at, short term vs. long term? It may be good logic too - you don't have to worry about the ill-effects of eating the donut since, no mater what, the universe will end. Hell, forget the universe. You will die (eventually), that is the single outcome no matter what you do with the donut. I'm not saying I subscribe to this mode of thinking, just my guess as what our new member is getting at.

Fair enough. However, I must disagree with two words of your post, and that will be the words 'new' and 'member' ;-)

By fact, that is.

Peace,

The Philosopher

Possible outcomes

1 - I could eat it.

2 - I could not eat it.

Fair enough. However, I must disagree with two words of your post, and that will be the words 'new' and 'member' ;-)

I think "member" is fairly accurate.

That statement still makes no sense. It contains about as much wisdom as a bowl of cornflakes.

If we are talking about the universe falling in on itself, then surely there would be no 'generally' about it?

For example and by fact:

John F Kennedy was assassinated on November 22 1963.

The stock market crashed on October 29 1929

The Berlin Wall was destroyed on October 3 1989

All have only one outcome. The modern thinkers focus on the positives of the loss, instead of the defeat and failure itself. The subject and concept of thinking along these terms could flame some quality conversations.

A simple way for less sophisticated minds to understand my comment would be: A lone photograph hangs on a wall, but inside the frame is an image of one thousand faces.

I hope you can make the comparison.

Peace,

The Philosopher

By fact, that is.

Peace,

The Philosopher

Possible outcomes

1 - I could eat it.

2 - I could not eat it.

Lardy I'm not convinced by your proposition. There's only one outcome for that donut on your desk. You're going to eat it. All the other possibilities are pure flights of fancy.

As long as there is fresh coffee, I am eating that donut!

By fact, that is.

Peace,

The Philosopher

Possible outcomes

1 - I could eat it.

2 - I could not eat it.

Lardy I'm not convinced by your proposition. There's only one outcome for that donut on your desk. You're going to eat it. All the other possibilities are pure flights of fancy.

You know me so well. I give in. Bansh....er I mean The Philosopher was right.

For example and by fact:

John F Kennedy was assassinated on November 22 1963.

The stock market crashed on October 29 1929

The Berlin Wall was destroyed on October 3 1989

All have only one outcome. The modern thinkers focus on the positives of the loss, instead of the defeat and failure itself. The subject and concept of thinking along these terms could flame some quality conversations.

A simple way for less sophisticated minds to understand my comment would be: A lone photograph hangs on a wall, but inside the frame is an image of one thousand faces.

I hope you can make the comparison.

Of course they all have one outcome. This is owing to the fact we are looking retrospectively at these events. They have happened. We know the outcome. It's not a "choose your own adventure" story. Situations that have yet to occur or are in the process of occurring however could have many possible outcomes. Or tell me, do you know what finally happens in Iraq or Darfur. Perhaps you already know who the next Dalai Lama is going to be even if the Buddhist movement (or China considering latest developments) currently doesn't. Perhaps you could tell me with all certainty who is going to win the next Grand National, then this time next year we will be millionaires Rodney you plonker.

Modern thinkers focusing on the positives of the loss. Tell me, what are the positives of the deaths of around 6 million Jews, 1 million Rwandans or the ethnic cleansing that took place in the Balkans?

I think dear philosopher you need to spend a little more time thinking before you philosophise your ideas to a wider audience.

Guest Mr. Hellohowareyouhowitdoingglad

OK Audrey

All situations have one outcome by fact

Example: A man dies

- He is dead

- His family is not happy about it

From a modern thinker

- He is dead but the family will inherit his fortune * A positive.

Example: The Twin Towers collapsed on September 11 2001

- Two thousand people died

- The tragedy had a deep effect on society

From a modern thinker

- More safe buildings will be constructed

- The tragedy will draw attention to other critical situations in need

For the record I'm not somebody who takes up the modern thinking method. I feel it's good to have an open mind for obstacles in every day life. Let's remember the direction your mind thinks is the direction your life goes.

Do we have it on good authority that Philospher is BS? f**k, I even PM'd the 'new' member with a welcome, thinking the deep and meaningless/ful punts a bit on the characterful side. Not sure about every situation having one outcome and the end always being certain. Nobody KNOWS the universe will end because nobody knows the totality of everything to the point they can prove it to us all. Mind, we have our best people in Maryport working on these questions round the clock, might drop in and buy them a pint tonight.

I'm guessing Harry Patch was bordering on the oldest recipient of a BA when he got an honourary one aged - I think - 108.

OK Audrey

All situations have one outcome by fact

Example: A man dies

- He is dead

- His family is not happy about it

From a modern thinker

- He is dead but the family will inherit his fortune * A positive.

Some may call that modern thinking, others may see it as heartlessness. Not everybody values money above human life, or even sees it as a consolation for the loss of a loved one.

I think you would have a hard job imposing that point of view on many people. In an emergency you could invade their country I suppose.

Example: The Twin Towers collapsed on September 11 2001

- Two thousand people died

- The tragedy had a deep effect on society

From a modern thinker

- More safe buildings will be constructed

There will never be a building constructed above ground that can stand the impact of having an airliner flown into it.

To try to do so would be insane. Better would to try not to be the sort of person whom others want to fly aircraft into the buildings of.

- The tragedy will draw attention to other critical situations in need

Quite the contrary. It has drawn much attention away from other, major catastrophes which merely happen to have happened in places less significant to the US media.

For the record I'm not somebody who takes up the modern thinking method. I feel it's good to have an open mind for obstacles in every day life. Let's remember the direction your mind thinks is the direction your life goes.

It seems to me that you are someone for whom the activity of thinking is a closed book. In your attempts to appear clever you merely make yourself look more imbecilic. Your ideas (if indeed they are your own) display neither reason nor common sense. I think you may have been taken in by others practised in deceiving foolish, vacuous young people such as yourself for their own ends. Your avatar strengthens this suspicion.

Know your limitations and act with according wisdom and your life will take the best direction it can. Deceive yourself (in any attempt to deceive others you will surely fail) and an open mind will be no match for the obstacles you place in your way.

Here is my philosophy.

Banshees Scream is an arsehole and a complete annoyance to everybody in the DL community.

I say we ban his IP address.

Ban that particular IP address, and we will have peace not only from Banshees Scream, but also from The Philosopher.

Kill two (or more) birds with one stone!

Guest Aggravated
It seems to me that you are someone for whom the activity of thinking is a closed book. In your attempts to appear clever you merely make yourself look more imbecilic. Your ideas (if indeed they are your own) display neither reason nor common sense.

For the record I'm not somebody who takes up the modern thinking method

- What does that say?

You weren't f****n listening were you? Were you listening?

I don't think so.

I just said that I didn't agree with these ideas. I feel like a broken f****n record.

Next time think before you speak.

Guest Guest
I feel like a broken f****n record.

You often sound like one too.

It seems to me that you are someone for whom the activity of thinking is a closed book. In your attempts to appear clever you merely make yourself look more imbecilic. Your ideas (if indeed they are your own) display neither reason nor common sense.

For the record I'm not somebody who takes up the modern thinking method

- What does that say?

You weren't f****n listening were you? Were you listening?

I don't think so.

I just said that I didn't agree with these ideas. I feel like a broken f****n record.

Next time think before you speak.

It is of no consequence if you agree with those ideas or not (although personally I suspect you do).

You were endeavouring to present them as valid viewpoints according to some ridiculous hypothetical model of allegedly modern reasoning.

But they aren't. They are utter balderdash in anyone's book but that of the most foolish idiot. As is your theory of modern thinking.

Here is an important lesson for you:

Talking incessant nonsense does not make people think that you are cleverer than you because they can't understand you. It merely makes people aware of the fact that you are someone who talks incessant nonsense.

When is the next annual DL chara trip to the seaside? Can we make sure Banshees and Windsor aren't sitting together.

It is of no consequence if you agree with those ideas or not (although personally I suspect you do).

You were endeavouring to present them as valid viewpoints according to some ridiculous hypothetical model of allegedly modern reasoning.

First of all, who the hell is Captain Koot Hoomi? Obviously you don't sound very intelligent. I actually suspect that you either have ADD and don't listen, or you are just clearly that ignorant. Are you somebody in disguise? I think so.

Second, how many times did I say that I didn't agree with these view points? I don't think Germany won the war and I certainly don't think the Twin Towers crashing down was a winning situation. I feel these modern views are f****n insane.

The only time I agree with the method of this 'modern thinking' is if for example 'you make a mistake in everyday life and you learn a lesson from it' the mistake was clearly a failure but the next time around you will succeed on reflection of the knowledge you have learned. I would say that is an example 'of modern thinking' that I would agree with.

PS

I suspect you have ADD. I also suspect you are an ignorant schmuck.

Is there any chance at all that we could keep this thread on topic and not fill it up with pointless garbage? I hate to sound like Star Crossed, but this is really clogging up the thread. I fully admit and apologize for my own contribution to the mess earlier, but this thread is getting filled up with irrelevant trash.

• Like 1