Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Very encouraging to see a Canadian news report of a totally American oldster. They also mention Canadian born Mary Josephine Ray, a week younger than the deceased, and clearly within the sites of an online news source based in Canada when she carks.

• Like 1

Very encouraging to see a Canadian news report of a totally American oldster. They also mention Canadian born Mary Josephine Ray, a week younger than the deceased, and clearly within the sites of an online news source based in Canada when she carks.

Actually it says Mary Josephine Ray is a week younger than China's Kama Chinen who is the current oldest person.

Oh aye, well either way, if she died tomorrow on the evidence of this interest I'd cash in a few CPDP points.

Ana Maria Perez

"A Mexican once put forward for the title of world's oldest woman has died at 119, government officials said Thursday ... Perez has a valid birth certificate stating she was born June 22, 1890 ... State authorities applied about three years ago to have Perez declared the world's oldest woman by the Guinness Book of World Records, but the attempt foundered when officials could not raise enough money for a Guinness judge to visit and confirm the claim"

Ana Maria Perez

"A Mexican once put forward for the title of world's oldest woman has died at 119, government officials said Thursday ... Perez has a valid birth certificate stating she was born June 22, 1890 ... State authorities applied about three years ago to have Perez declared the world's oldest woman by the Guinness Book of World Records, but the attempt foundered when officials could not raise enough money for a Guinness judge to visit and confirm the claim"

Cases like these annoy me. You would think that the Guinness Book of Records could afford to fly out a judge to Mexico.

Ana Maria Perez

Cases like these annoy me. You would think that the Guinness Book of Records could afford to fly out a judge to Mexico.

They can, so the claim that they couldn't afford to have their record officiated is bollocks. Guinness never requires money to verify an oldest person - in fact, many cases are verified by having the documents sent to the verification bodies, not them going and visiting the person. Most likely a lie to cover up the fact that this claim is full of shite.

Ana Maria Perez

They can, so the claim that they couldn't afford to have their record officiated is bollocks. Guinness never requires money to verify an oldest person - in fact, many cases are verified by having the documents sent to the verification bodies, not them going and visiting the person. Most likely a lie to cover up the fact that this claim is full of shite.

Ah - I did think it was a bit odd. What ever became of that monk who had a claim to be the world's oldest man a few months back? I may as well ask you because it seems to be one of your interests. :smiley_f:

Ana Maria Perez

Ah - I did think it was a bit odd. What ever became of that monk who had a claim to be the world's oldest man a few months back? I may as well ask you because it seems to be one of your interests. :banghead:

Still alive, but I don't think he had any legitimate proof of being the age that he claimed. In the meantime, another man from Thailand put forth his own 113 claim (or at least that's what I'm told it says, since I don't read Thai).

I can't help it if my expertise is in dull fields, now can I? :smiley_f:

Bringing this up mainly because she's a unique pick on the DDP, but the fourth oldest in the world, Chiyo Shiraishi, has died. I suspect that this lovely article is Japanese is about the extent of the coverage she'll receive though. :smiley_f:

Remember her?

Britain's youngest supercentenarian. When Katie Masters received her 6th telegram from the Queen last year, she complained that they all bore the same image of the Queen. So this year, they changed the picture

Remember her?

Britain's youngest supercentenarian. When Katie Masters received her 6th telegram from the Queen last year, she complained that they all bore the same image of the Queen. So this year, they changed the picture

It looks to me as though Her Majesty is scowling on that picture.

Remember her?

It looks to me as though Her Majesty is scowling on that picture.

Aye - she doesn't look happy.

Interestingly enough, if you watch the clip follwing the main video you will notice that lady who celebrated her 100th birthday in May 2009 got the 'yellow dress' card. ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8039007.stm )

I wonder what Mrs Masters card said inside...

Oldsters aplenty in Montacute, Somerset. Average life-expectancy....89.

Guest VAR

If Niemeyer was included in the list been aged 102, why don't you guys include Walter Breuning in the same as he is just 113? :mellow:

If Niemeyer was included in the list been aged 102, why don't you guys include Walter Breuning in the same as he is just 113? :mellow:

why post as a guest?

Guest VAR
why post as a guest?

It may sound strange but I'm posting as a guest as I have no registration :mellow:

If Niemeyer was included in the list been aged 102, why don't you guys include Walter Breuning in the same as he is just 113? :)

Because, dear sir/madam, to add some spice, this year's list has been created only with people who are expected to live for at least another 5 years.

Between 3 and 13 deaths is mediocre. 1 is a record, of sorts....

If Niemeyer was included in the list been aged 102, why don't you guys include Walter Breuning in the same as he is just 113? :)

Because, dear sir/madam, to add some spice, this year's list has been created only with people who are expected to live for at least another 5 years.

Between 3 and 13 deaths is mediocre. 1 is a record, of sorts....

13 would not be mediocre

If Niemeyer was included in the list been aged 102, why don't you guys include Walter Breuning in the same as he is just 113? :(

Who is he and what has he achieved in his life (except for growing old)?

He's the oldest man alive, so I reckon the answer to your question should be: nothing.

VAR is just a prick who decided to start posting stupid remarks out of utter boredom, I guess.

If Niemeyer was included in the list been aged 102, why don't you guys include Walter Breuning in the same as he is just 113? :(

Who is he and what has he achieved in his life (except for growing old)?

He's the oldest man alive, so I reckon the answer to your question should be: nothing.

VAR is just a prick who decided to start posting stupid remarks out of utter boredom, I guess.

Although Mr. Breuning's fame is based solely upon him achieving extreme old age, I think that to say that he has achieved nothing in his life is unfair. We shouldn't fall into the trap that only celebrities are real people who are worthy of notice. I understand that Tomb's remark is based upon whether or not he's appropriate to be included as a "celebrity" but to say out of hand that someone who's 113 has achieved "nothing" sounds wrong to me.

Although Mr. Breuning's fame is based solely upon him achieving extreme old age, I think that to say that he has achieved nothing in his life is unfair. We shouldn't fall into the trap that only celebrities are real people who are worthy of notice. I understand that Tomb's remark is based upon whether or not he's appropriate to be included as a "celebrity" but to say out of hand that someone who's 113 has achieved "nothing" sounds wrong to me.

Living till 113 is an achievement of sorts. I'm not sure it's very difficult, although it seems to me that it takes some patience.

I have no idea who Mr. Breuning is and what he did in life. Perhaps he was the esteemed undersecretary of his local Vogon Poetry Appreciation Society and a wonderful father. Maybe he's a retired bat catcher who while active had a rewarding and productive life, well regarded by his colleagues. Maybe he's been a school crossing patrol officer for fifty years. Perhaps he led an absolutely bland life doing nothing remarkable.

Edit to add: I see it's even worse. According to the fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia, he was a railway man.

Since I don't know, I see little reason to include him.

It's also a fact that the key criterion for a DL candidate is an expected obit, not being a celebrity. Oldest people do get one. DL has generally avoided picking the world's oldest living person, though. They could be included, but I hope they won't. Boring old farts.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Posts moved from Niemeyer topic -- MH

I'm not talking about whether Mr. Breuning should be included in the Death List. Actually I would be opposed (if anyone should ask my opinion). I'm more concerned with the perception that only famous people have achieved anything "important". Did an individual love someone? Did people love him/her? Did the person have children that were raised to responsible, loving adults? Did the person touch the lives of others in a positive way? These questions (and many more of the same ilk) are much more important (to me, anyway) in regard to whether or not a person has achieved anything "important". I'll get off the soapbox now.

• Like 1