Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Queen Victoria died on 22 January 1901. Therefore there are only 16 Victorians left who are verified the youngest of whom is Opal Thompson who was born on 13 January 1901.

Not even enough for a DDP team.

Queen Victoria died on 22 January 1901. Therefore there are only 16 Victorians left who are verified the youngest of whom is Opal Thompson who was born on 13 January 1901.

Surely to qualify as a "Victorian", you have to have been a subject of the monarch of the day. Therefore there are only 2 - the UK's Ethel Lang, and Violet Brown from Jamaica, who is a little older. Hopefully Ethel outlives the Jamaican lady, only seen appropriate that the last Victorian alive is from Britain!

• Like 1

Surely to qualify as a "Victorian", you have to have been a subject of the monarch of the day. Therefore there are only 2 - the UK's Ethel Lang, and Violet Brown from Jamaica, who is a little older. Hopefully Ethel outlives the Jamaican lady, only seen appropriate that the last Victorian alive is from Britain!

xd789f.jpg

• Like 1

I was watching a Norwegian programme the other day and they were referring to the Victorian age in relation to their own country, so make of that what you will...

• Like 2

I think we should have three counts:

1. Last person born in the 19th Century.

2. Last person who was born while Queen Vic was still alive.

3. Last person born while Queen Vic was still alive who was also one of Queen Vic's subjects.

EDIT: I just did the research and we have

1. 6 people verified to have been born in the 19th Century if you count 1 Jan 1900 as the beginning of the twentieth century.

1A. 14 people verified to have been born in the 19th Century if you count 1 Jan 1901 as the beginning of the twentieth century.

2. Likewise, 14 people verified to have been born whilst Queen Vic was still alive.

3. 2 people (Ethel and Violet) who were subjects of Queen Vic.

• Like 4

How very imperialistic of you! I am going to cheer on the colonies now because of that. Hang in there, Violet!
  • Like 2

What do you call and American Victorian person?

Edit: If only Joan Rivers had lived a bit longer, I could've had a half decent joke.

Edit: If only Joan Rivers had lived a bit longer, I could've had a half decent joke.

I am not sure what you'd call a person living at that time but the late Victorian Era is called the Gilded Age in America. (In France it is called the Belle Epoque or Fin-de-Siecle.)

I am not sure what you'd call a person living at that time but the late Victorian Era is called the Gilded Age in America. (In France it is called the Belle Epoque or Fin-de-Siecle.)

They sound shite.

They're Victorians. Period.

They sound shite.

That use of the word 'period', unless coming from an American, should be banned. You mean full-stop!
  • Like 1

I can't wait until we start discussing the intricacies of those still alive from the Edwardian age, ;)

• Like 1

They sound shite.

That use of the word 'period', unless coming from an American, should be banned. You mean full-stop!

I was trying to be ironic.

I think.

• Like 2

They sound shite.

I was trying to be ironic.

I think.

Fair enough.

I think.

• Like 1

Guest Nigel

Accordingtothe Independent oldestsurvivingWelshInternational HaroldWilliamsdead

Sad and ironic that a man who tried so hard to get people living longer died relatively young!

Sad and ironic that a man who tried so hard to get people living longer died relatively young!

Yeah, it's up there with the corpulent corpse of Mr Atkins diet.

• Like 1