Mr Stats

World's Oldest

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

It's absolutely true. The BBC are reporting it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39768321 /.Its a miracle!

The BBC also ran a clip about Nigerian woman who claims to be 117 and is supported by government documentation (not that their birth records were that accurate in 1900)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drol said:

World's oldest man Mbah Ghoto has died aged 146. And this morning I saw pigs flying outside.

Mbah, and his ridiculous claim, can Ghoto hell.

• Like 7

Just some statistics if anybody is interested.

Top 10 countries of residence for the 100 oldest living people

Japan: 26

United States: 25

France: 10

Italy: 8

United Kingdom: 6

Spain: 5
Germany: 4

Australia: 3

Canada: 3

Poland: 2

Average age at death of oldest living people by half-decade

1995-1999: 119

2000-2004: 114

2005-2009: 115

2010-2014: 115

2015-: 116

Number of oldest living people to die by year

1997: 1

1998: 1

1999: 1

2000: 1

2001: 1

2002: 4

2003: 2

2004: 1

2005: 0

2006: 2

2007: 3

2008: 1

2009: 2

2010: 2

2011: 1

2012: 2

2013: 1

2014: 0

2015: 3

2016: 1

2017: 1

• Like 4

Where's the source information I mean?

I could post news of Kirk Douglas' death on here and it wouldn't make it true. Must be getting it from a news source, an obituary or something...surely there's something out there...

Finally an obit for Sister Gaudette pops up from a New Hampshire news site (her home state).

For future reference, the GRG List and Gerontology Wikia are very reliable sources. The GRG has contact info for all supercentenarians and are therefore often the only people to report on the deaths of the less relevant ones. The Gerontology Wikia basically takes all of GRG's info and puts it in a better organized, easy-to-read format.

Either way, pretty strange she didn't get any more obits yet. She was the oldest living nun, oldest living person born in the USA, oldest person living in Italy, and 5th oldest living person.

Not to mention she was a news sensation back in 2008 in a typical centenarian fluff piece "106 year old nun voting for Obama".

All those things combined, you'd think she'd certainly get a QO from the Daily Mail, let alone more than one obit!

This, and the fact that Zoltan Sarosy got nothing but a chess-based site and two Hungarian rags, makes me wonder if we're headed for some kind of supercentenarian obit drought.

• Like 2

Or a boom, depending on who lives that long, of course!

Word oldest person from Poland dead at 111. Probably the next one without a qualifying obit, though I don't think they were selected anywhere apart from maybe Deathray's list of centenarians...

7 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Word oldest person from Poland dead at 111. Probably the next one without a qualifying obit, though I don't think they were selected anywhere apart from maybe Deathray's list of centenarians...

I feel like I cursed her because just hours before her death, I wrote down her name as a potential part of my Slavic theme team I might enter into the DDP next year.

Anyways, I don't expect her to QO because the oldest people in non-English speaking countries never get QOs (unless they also happen to be the oldest person in the world). But Mrs. Szubartowicz did get obits from all major Polish newspapers and news websites, so I don't think she's a part of the supercentenarian obit drought. 

I was quite sad to hear of her passing. I've been interested in supercentenarians ever since I was a young child (cue gerontophilia jokes), and I always hated how all the Polish supercentenarians seemed to die aged 110-111. So I was sort of rooting for Mrs. Szubartowicz to live a couple more years, or at least make her 112th birthday in October.

Luckily for me, the new doyenne of Poland, Tekla Juniewicz, is only a couple months younger than Mrs. Szubartowicz, also aged 111. I'm rooting for you, Tekla. Stick around a while!

An Oakland (CA) native and Americas oldest known man has died.
Clarence Francis Matthews was born 111 years and 82 days ago. He lived through both world wars and supported his family during the depression. He outlived two wives.
SC

• Like 1

Yisrael Kristal dead at 113.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Keeps me further ahead in the hare's dead pool, for now...

RIP. The new oldest living men is Francisco Nunez Olivera (born in December 1904) (but he is unverified). 

2 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Richard Overton moves up the ranks for a few days till we read about him.
SC

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Not worth the points of wasting a roster spot imho.  What is he, 3 or 4 max?  He's not going to be a unique pick when you turn his name in.  It's a pointless DDP team inclusion...damn near.
SC

26 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Richard Overton moves up the ranks for a few days till we read about him.
SC

He's been hospitalized for pneumonia twice in the past 2-ish years, including one in May, so it won't be that long, you're right.

37 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Not worth the points of wasting a roster spot imho.  What is he, 3 or 4 max?  He's not going to be a unique pick when you turn his name in.  It's a pointless DDP team inclusion...damn near.
SC

You never know. The world's oldest person might prove to be the decisive pick for the person who wins the DDP in 2037. They may not be entirely pointless...

• Confused 1

New Jersey's oldest resident, who once credited her longevity to a daily dose of Miller High Life and Johnnie Walker Blue Label, died Thursday morning in her Englewood home, three weeks after turning 112.   Agnes Fenton, who had lived in Englewood since the 1950s, was given the unusual prescription of alcohol by her doctor in 1943 for a benign tumor. She kept it up for decades, before quitting drinking in the last few years as she began to eat less and was restricted to a wheelchair and attended by her nurses.   

Born Agnes Jones on Aug. 1, 1905, in Holly Springs, Mississippi, Fenton owned the Pal's Duck Inn restaurant in Tennessee, where she was one of the first black women to own a restaurant in the state. She moved north to Englewood with her second husband, Vincent Fenton, who died in 1970. 

The Fentons had no children.
SC