Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Kura Bingo turned 114 today, which is not bad for a fucking barely breathing cadaver! :birthday:

Also Gerneth turned 114 some days ago and seemed to be in relatively good shape, though frailer than before. 

Gustav Gerneth has died at 114. 112 year old Chitetsu Watanabe is now the World's Oldest Man. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, drol said:

Gustav Gerneth has died at 114. 112 year old Chitetsu Watanabe is now the World's Oldest Man. 

It's likely Watanabe might have been the WOM even before today since their is dispute about Gerneth's age claim being fraudulent.

1 hour ago, CaptainChorizo said:

It's likely Watanabe might have been the WOM even before today since their is dispute about Gerneth's age claim being fraudulent.

Still, it's always nice to get rid of any doubts, isn't it?

10 hours ago, drol said:

Wow. When Gustav Gerneth turned 114, I didn't know he would die one week later. I thought he would live a few more months after his birthday, but anyway, I'm still glad he reached a full 114 years of life.

17 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Right now I'm more concerned abut @drol's Gerneth's death claim being fraudulent.  Not one link for world's oldest man?  Christ.... I'm going to have to edit my ABC scoring update.  HE LIVES!

47 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Right now I'm more concerned abut @drol's Gerneth's death claim being fraudulent.  Not one link for world's oldest man?  Christ.... I'm going to have to edit my ABC scoring update.  HE LIVES!

It ain't a QO but Gerneths death is in Bild, the biggest newspaper in Germany, where he lived. So yeah.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, msc said:

It ain't a QO but Gerneths death is in Bild, the biggest newspaper in Germany, where he lived. So yeah.

So BBC writes story about him turning 114.

but not his death?

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

So BBC writes story about him turning 114.

but not his death?

You can be a complete dumbass, you know? 

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:46, The Old Crem said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-britains-oldest-woman-grace-16513203?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Grace Jones, the UK's oldest person died last Friday aged 112.

The new oldest Person in the UK is Dorothy Payne of Sevenoaks Kent who turns 112 on the 7th August.

Dorothy Payne's death notice: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/236841/payne-dorothy-gwendoline

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Where did Dorothy Payne come from?

Last time I checked it was Hilda Clulow

She was always there. Some articles incorrectly claimed Hilda was the second-oldest when Grace C. Jones was alive. Also, she went by Gwen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

She was always there. Some articles incorrectly claimed Hilda was the second-oldest when Grace C. Jones was alive. Also, she went by Gwen.

But now it is Hilda right?

• Like 1

Second oldest Brit is now a man. It’s been a while...

• Like 1

Another one of those fraudulent claims has apparently died at 123, this time from Russia... 

On 24/10/2019 at 08:55, Bibliogryphon said:

But now it is Hilda right?

Yes.Unless there is an anonymous case.

• Like 1

Everything above 120 is always BS, even Jeanne Calment is shady since the 2nd oldest Person was 3 years younger.

All these 150 year old people also tend to look like they're just a bit over 90.

• Like 1

Calment was the most documented centenarian there ever was. She was also a considerable outlier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, msc said:

Calment was the most documented centenarian there ever was. She was also a considerable outlier.

I hear people saying this all the time but the whole fraud claim around Calment is that she assumed somebody else's identity. If you do that then it isn't relevant how many documents exist because there's every chance they corresponded to someone else!

The argument that she assumed her mother's identity is compelling. Go have a thorough read. The gerontology community are in denial at the moment as I think they're still in a state of shock, but a conclusion will be drawn under this at some point next year, and I imagine it will be that Jeanne Calment died years before and her daughter assumed her identity for tax purposes.

• Angry 1

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I hear people saying this all the time but the whole fraud claim around Calment is that she assumed somebody else's identity. If you do that then it isn't relevant how many documents exist because there's every chance they corresponded to someone else!

The argument that she assumed her mother's identity is compelling. Go have a thorough read. The gerontology community are in denial at the moment as I think they're still in a state of shock, but a conclusion will be drawn under this at some point next year, and I imagine it will be that Jeanne Calment died years before and her daughter assumed her identity for tax purposes.

I have read it. If we don't take unproperly sourced and non peer-reviewed evidence in other matters, we shouldn't just because it produces an exciting story. The evidence for the switch is circumstantial at best, and relies on the fact that a French socialite swapped places with her 30 years younger daughter, and everyone who knew her kept quiet. All those hundreds of peoples. For 80 years. I don't want to revert to stereotypes but mind yer Chamberlain: "the French can't keep a government for six months, nor a secret for six hours..."

Never mind all the recorded and secondary evidence (the most any super centenarian ever had, because as the Usain Bolt of supercentenarians folk kept looking for that smoking gun in her life that even this research can't find) that supports Calment's age. The idea that dozens of people could keep a secret based around financial reward that long breaks suspension of disbelief given every year case like that ever.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, msc said:

I have read it. If we don't take unproperly sourced and non peer-reviewed evidence in other matters, we shouldn't just because it produces an exciting story. The evidence for the switch is circumstantial at best, and relies on the fact that a French socialite swapped places with her 30 years younger daughter, and everyone who knew her kept quiet. All those hundreds of peoples. For 80 years. I don't want to revert to stereotypes but mind yer Chamberlain: "the French can't keep a government for six months, nor a secret for six hours..."

Never mind all the recorded and secondary evidence (the most any super centenarian ever had, because as the Usain Bolt of supercentenarians folk kept looking for that smoking gun in her life that even this research can't find) that supports Calment's age. The idea that dozens of people could keep a secret based around financial reward that long breaks suspension of disbelief given every year case like that ever.

I think she was pretty disconnected from the people living around her from what I read. If you look at the photos and examine the facial structures, the argument does hold weight. It will be interesting to see if they get permission to run DNA tests as they’ve requested, then we will know for sure. 

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I think she was pretty disconnected from the people living around her from what I read. If you look at the photos and examine the facial structures, the argument does hold weight. It will be interesting to see if they get permission to run DNA tests as they’ve requested, then we will know for sure. 

FF571C3B-4B59-488D-AAAB-56FBF81B080D.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

FF571C3B-4B59-488D-AAAB-56FBF81B080D.jpeg

Why don’t you try and come back with something of any substance?

The researchers producing the doubts have had their papers published in science journals and their claims are now being taken very seriously.

Do you not find it at all bizarre that between Calment and the 2nd oldest person ever, there is an entire 3 year gap. Additionally the fact that she was a smoker “until 117” is very suspect. If Madame Calment was really the daughter then she would have been 99 at death. I can believe somebody being lucky enough to be a lifelong smoker and reach 99. I find it difficult to believe that the oldest person ever was a lifelong smoker. Very few supercentenarians have smoked. I can only think of Richard Arvine Overton, and those were cigars, which probably weren’t inhaled.

People don’t want to believe that it could be a fraudulent case because they’ve always regarded her as a bit of a legend, yet the case has all the hallmarks of a fraudulent one. The truth hurts. 

I also see a statistical unlikelyness simply by looking at the list of the top 10 oldest people/women. There you have everyone in the top 10 dying at 117 and then you have Sarah Knauss with 119 as an outlier, 1.5 years older than number 3 at number 2 and then an even further outlier with Calment who was more than 3 years older than Knauss. It seems very improbable to me that there would be such a huge gap in the top ranks. 

• Like 3