Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Italy's oldest person Valesca Tanganelli dead at 112.

Now the Country's oldest person is Piedmont Erminia Bianchini, who will turn 112 in April. 

1 hour ago, drol said:

Italy's oldest person Valesca Tanganelli dead at 112.

Now the Country's oldest person is Piedmont Erminia Bianchini, who will turn 112 in April. 

I wonder if her cause of death was the new coronavirus, because the outbreak in northern Italy is peaking right now. If so, she would be the oldest person ever to die of that virus. Also, Buggiano, Tuscany, where she used to live, is in northern Italy.

1 minute ago, The Red Death said:

I wonder if her cause of death was the new coronavirus, because the outbreak in northern Italy is peaking right now. If so, she would be the oldest person ever to die of the virus.

Well, I give a quick answer: NO.

Her funeral is public, if she'd died of coronavirus it would be forbidden. Beside that newspapers would have noticed, and coronavirus is not much diffuse in Tuscany still. Can confirm the eldest victim of coronavirus in Italy was 101.

6 minutes ago, drol said:

Her funeral is public, if she'd died of coronavirus it would be forbidden. Beside that newspapers would have noticed, and coronavirus is not much diffuse in Tuscany still. Can confirm the eldest victim of coronavirus in Italy was 101.

Well, the funeral can be streamed online to prevent mourners from being physically infected, so anyone who watches that funeral live stream can be counted as a mourner.

Just now, The Red Death said:

Well, the funeral can be streamed online to prevent mourners from being physically infected, so anyone who watches that funeral live stream can be counted as a mourner.

Ok. That would replace well Serie A. It does not change she did not die of coronavirus.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, drol said:

Was that the oldest victim in the world?

Oldest case of recovery I have heard of is a 101 year old Chinese man.

111-year-old Bob Weighton who has become the oldest man in the world (Photo: PA)
Bob Weighton leans on his walker as he makes his way into his local Waitrose. He is steady on his feet, but the walker helps with balance, the front of which has a number plate emblazoned with “Bob 111”.
“No need for an 'L' plate!” a fellow shopper jokes as Bob cruises towards the broccoli. “I’m getting a new one with the number 112 in a few weeks,” he tells the stranger, smiling. A brief pause and look of confusion ensues, until Bob adds: “Because I’ll be 112-years-old.” The shock on the man’s face is probably worth waiting a century for in itself.
Bob is the oldest man in the world - a title he recently took on following the death of Chitetsu Watanabe, of Japan, who held it for two weeks. When he was born on 29 March 1908, Theodore Roosevelt was US President, the Titanic being built and television yet to be invented.

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He’s low key about his world record. “Why me? I'm just a little boy born in Hull,” he ponders as we head to his flat in Alton, Hampshire, where he lives independently, but for occasional visits by carers. “There’s no reason why - somebody has to be the oldest!”
'Avoid dying'

IMG_3253-scaled-e1583686357268.thumb.jpeg.b2bcd4a697737721b42979f9a88d8c58.jpeg

Bob Weighton at his local Waitrose (Photo: Benjamin Butterworth)
The key to living for 111 years and 345 days is to “avoid dying,” he says, but beyond that you’ll have to work out the secret to ongoing immortality for yourself.

He only drinks alcohol on special occasions, doesn’t smoke and avoids red meat, but that’s more out of concern for the planet than health worries. He has enjoyed Branston pickles since boyhood (they were invented when he was 14) and fills his shopping bag with brown bread and bananas.
“I’ve eaten stuff that I’ve no idea what was in it,” he confesses of claims diet is responsible for his longevity.

PEOPLE-Oldest-08242292-scaled-e1583686461574.thumb.jpg.3cf3e5175ea40b961b93679c60bd2094.jpg

A young Bob Weighton (back) who will turn 112 on 29 March (Photo: Getty)
As a teenager he trained to be a marine engineer, but there were no jobs, so he contacted the Methodist Church and agreed to teach English in Taiwan. Ahead of the move he met his wife, Agnes, who was being sent to Ghana. The couple maintained their relationship by letter writing, waiting weeks at a time for correspondence to arrive as they were shipped between Asia and Africa.
After some years they built a life together in Japan, where they lived through the 1930s. But the rise of Hitler in Europe meant the family must leave, the authorities said, for fear Britons would become the enemy within.
They ended up on the shores of Canada with no money, no furniture, an 18 month old baby and another on the way. “Although we didn't think of ourselves as refugees, we were, yes,” he recalls, admitting the years were “tough”.

Eventually he was recruited by the British Political Warfare Mission to decode Japanese military communications, at the time of Pearl Harbour, and made a life in the US. It wasn't until 1946 that he returned to England, now with three children in tow. He acquired his dream job lecturing at what is now City University in London and toured the nation giving talks about life in Asia, before retiring 55 years ago.

IMG_3262-scaled.thumb.jpeg.d1bb69381e55106ecb804c6b85937bca.jpeg

Bob Weighton will celebrate his 112th birthday at the end of March [Photo: Benjamin Butterworth]
The inescapable reality of living so long is that many loved ones have gone. His wife died in 1995, aged 88, and one of his children, Peter, died in 2012, aged 75.
But with such a great age comes new friends and enquirers. One woman who spots him outside his flat pushes her walking frame forward at speed to say hello to her famous neighbour. “I read that you were born in 1908,” the elderly woman says excitedly. “The same year as my mother!”
What, then, is it like to be the last man standing from an extinct generation? “I don't think it's strange, it's very real to me. I quite enjoy explaining what it was like to younger people who have no idea. They can't imagine a home without electricity or the sky without aeroplanes. I'm very much happy."
Proud 'eco warrior'

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/worlds-oldest-man-bob-weighton-birthday-age-greta-thunberg-2441093

• Like 1

bob-weighton.jpg.cd69dc441c3dff323a0739a4cd36ed26.jpg

Although the British Bob Weighton (111) is worried about the new coronavirus, the oldest man in the world can put all the fuss into perspective. After all, he also witnessed the outbreak of the Spanish flu in 1918. It claimed between 20 and 100 million lives worldwide. The coronavirus, which has already killed nearly 4,000 people, is still far away.
Weighton – who was born in 1908 and still lives independently in his flat – is said to have been a lot more careful with his hygiene since the coronavirus appeared in the UK. He washes his hands more often and uses a special brush for his nails.
Wife
“I’m pretty worried,” he tells the British newspaper Daily Mirror. “Everyone should do that. Not because of myself, because I have lived long enough. Well, for my three children, ten grandchildren, and 25 great-grandchildren. (His wife died in 1997, ed.)”
The coronavirus outbreak nevertheless does not come close to something Weighton experienced more than 100 years ago. He was seven years old when the Spanish flu fiercely spread around him and killed between 20 and 100 million people. The virus traveled with soldiers who had fought in the First World War and returned home.
“I remember the stories that circulated about people who got sick and died,” he says. “Just like newspaper articles. Fortunately, I never got the Spanish flu.”
Although the coronavirus did not make a fool of the number of casualties at the time, Weighton finds the rising mortality rate “frightening”. “Especially in China then,” he nuances. “In Europe, we are still far from the millions of victims at the time. Hopefully, it will never come to that. But you never know where it ends. You can only be careful.”
Lump
Weighton has never been seriously ill in his life. “30 years ago, the doctors discovered a lump on my stomach that could have caused serious problems,” he says. “I then had to undergo surgery, during which half of my stomach was removed.”

The Briton received the title of the oldest man in the world two weeks ago after the Japanese Chitetsu Watanabe died at the age of 112.

https://www.afrinik.com/but-spanish-flu-in-1918-was-much-worse-oldest-man-111-worried-about-covid-19/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Donald said:

bob-weighton.jpg.cd69dc441c3dff323a0739a4cd36ed26.jpg

Although the British Bob Weighton (111) is worried about the new coronavirus, the oldest man in the world can put all the fuss into perspective. After all, he also witnessed the outbreak of the Spanish flu in 1918. It claimed between 20 and 100 million lives worldwide. The coronavirus, which has already killed nearly 4,000 people, is still far away.
Weighton – who was born in 1908 and still lives independently in his flat – is said to have been a lot more careful with his hygiene since the coronavirus appeared in the UK. He washes his hands more often and uses a special brush for his nails.
Wife
“I’m pretty worried,” he tells the British newspaper Daily Mirror. “Everyone should do that. Not because of myself, because I have lived long enough. Well, for my three children, ten grandchildren, and 25 great-grandchildren. (His wife died in 1997, ed.)”
The coronavirus outbreak nevertheless does not come close to something Weighton experienced more than 100 years ago. He was seven years old when the Spanish flu fiercely spread around him and killed between 20 and 100 million people. The virus traveled with soldiers who had fought in the First World War and returned home.
“I remember the stories that circulated about people who got sick and died,” he says. “Just like newspaper articles. Fortunately, I never got the Spanish flu.”
Although the coronavirus did not make a fool of the number of casualties at the time, Weighton finds the rising mortality rate “frightening”. “Especially in China then,” he nuances. “In Europe, we are still far from the millions of victims at the time. Hopefully, it will never come to that. But you never know where it ends. You can only be careful.”
Lump
Weighton has never been seriously ill in his life. “30 years ago, the doctors discovered a lump on my stomach that could have caused serious problems,” he says. “I then had to undergo surgery, during which half of my stomach was removed.”

The Briton received the title of the oldest man in the world two weeks ago after the Japanese Chitetsu Watanabe died at the age of 112.

https://www.afrinik.com/but-spanish-flu-in-1918-was-much-worse-oldest-man-111-worried-about-covid-19/

He is a definite contender to become the oldest man in the world ever .He even still seems to have his own hair ! I even think he could be the male equivalent of Jeanne Calment and live to his 120's !

5 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

He is a definite contender to become the oldest man in the world ever .He even still seems to have his own hair ! I even think he could be the male equivalent of Jeanne Calment and live to his 120's !

Coronavirus be like:
Bildergebnis für im about to end this mans whole career

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, roaming_comrade said:

Coronavirus be like:
Bildergebnis für im about to end this mans whole career

Jeanne Calment may not even have been a centenarian as every few weeks there seems to be another report or documentary casting doubt that the same person reached 122. Many state that she 'only' reached 99! For many years the oldest man was a Japanese gentleman who lived to 120 or 121. He was pictured in Guiness World Records with Norris McWhirter who had flown to meet him. Eventually he was discredited as a fraud although it may have been his family who perpetuated the fraud.

• Like 1

Kane Tanaka becomes now 8th oldest verified person ever. 

• Like 4

Italy's oldest man Giovanni Quarisa dead at 110, without the help of COVID.

• Like 1

Manchester 108-year old Hilda Churchill becomes the oldest COVID fatality, a title she will held until it takes Bob Weighton.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Happy 112th birthday Bob Weighton! :party:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Cant Wait said:

Crazy to think I was born on his 77th Birthday back in 1985 and he is still going strong remarkable longevity, hope he has a few good years In him yet, I know I won’t be around in another 77 years on my 112th Birthday, doubt I will make it to 77. Legend.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, drol said:

Manchester 108-year old Hilda Churchill becomes the oldest COVID fatality, a title she will held until it takes Bob Weighton.

Plenty of others between 108 and 112 who might go from it through.

14 hours ago, Cant Wait said:

I might have this guy as a pick in numerous events....but he is one I REALLY hope makes it through to the other side. 

Legend......

• Like 1

I have no problem with his validation but I think he got the title a bit to early. There are more candidates that should be checked.

13 minutes ago, Prophet said:

I have no problem with his validation but I think he got the title a bit to early. There are more candidates that should be checked.

Such as?

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Such as?

Probably all those in-the-middle-of-nowhere in Asia, South America or Africa living folks who claim to be 120-150 but dont look a day over 90

• Haha 1

World's oldest Covid-19 survivor- she seems to made of strong stuff.

• Like 5