Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Kane Tanaka is less than four years away from Calment's age 

• Like 1

Updated version of the top ten gallery from another forum:

oldestgallery.thumb.png.05baa417a442901bae0fe230c4b5d18f.png

Unvalidated (by Gerontology Research Group) ones who could be older than Fusa Tatsumi:

Maria Araujo da Silva (1906?) Brazil

Juana Santos Caballero (1906? 1910-2022) Mexico

Justina Santana Xavier da Silva (1907?-) Brazil

Maria Branyas Morera (1907-) American-born Spanish, validation pending, now validated

S. M. V. (1907-2021) Mexico. Name is not known. EDIT: Real name was Sofia Mendoza Valencia, died 21st of August 2021.

Wang Zhangwen (1907?-) China

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

No mistake.

Confirmed via the guy who tracks the oldest Brits.

Site also confirms that Kingston is now the oldest.

Call me unconvinced. It seems very odd that no major news outlet would report the death of Britain's oldest person for a full two weeks after her death. That normally gets across the board coverage within days, no?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Call me unconvinced. It seems very odd that no major news outlet would report the death of Britain's oldest person for a full two weeks after her death. That normally gets across the board coverage within days, no?

Gwen Payne only got a Telegraph death notice. I reported that.

Nothing else as far as I know. She'd been dead a wee while, so I guess the papers passed on it.

14 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

No.

If you look at the link to that site I posted, there's a page for a chronological list of the oldest Brit. In many instances, the respective title holders did not receive coverage from the national press. Usually only local papers (or even just forum acknowledgements) are absolutely guaranteed. The UK-wide press will only cover it if there's something else to it e.g. Bob Weighton received a lot of coverage before his death and was the oldest man in the world at the time, so he got national headlines when he died. It generally depends on their prominence and/or how long they held the title. 

We all remember the Florrie Baldwins and Henry Allinghams. I can't for the life of me remember the majority of them though. Largely total non-entities. That maybe sounds harsh but it's true.

---

Also, why would the man who specifically researches this for the Gerontology Research Group, and who talks to the respective care homes first hand, list a death on his site which he hadn't had confirmed?

• Like 3

Even some of the notable ones at the time become hard to remember. Who was that Japanese lady who did a de facto interview (or at least we got a faked Q and A) a few years ago? My memory only retains so many people these days. I can't even remember some of my own DDP hits - apparently in 2013 I had Jack Vance on my team. Who knew? Not me anymore! :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

No.

If you look at the link to that site I posted, there's a page for a chronological list of the oldest Brit. In many instances, the respective title holders did not receive coverage from the national press. Usually only local papers (or even just forum acknowledgements) are absolutely guaranteed. The UK-wide press will only cover it if there's something else to it e.g. Bob Weighton received a lot of coverage before his death and was the oldest man in the world at the time, so he got national headlines when he died. It generally depends on their prominence and/or how long they held the title. 

We all remember the Florrie Baldwins and Henry Allinghams. I can't for the life of me remember the majority of them though. Largely total non-entities. That maybe sounds harsh but it's true.

---

Also, why would the man who specifically researches this for the Gerontology Research Group, and who talks to the respective care homes first hand, list a death on his site which he hadn't had confirmed?

That's fair enough Ulitzer - thanks for the explanation.  I'm not around here long enough to know how these things generally work - I assumed it would be fairly newsworthy, but apparently not. 

Prior to Bob Weighton ,the oldest person in Britain was Hilda Clulow who died on Christmas Eve 2019. It doesn't seem to have been mentioned, even in the local rags until late February 2020.

Coming from a country where they have you in the ground and forgotten about before the Reaper has even had a chance to get home and take his boots off, that comes across as odd. Cultural differences eh?

• Like 1

Emilio Flores Márquez confirmed as the world’s oldest man living at 112

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2021/6/emilio-flores-marquez-confirmed-as-the-worlds-oldest-man-living-at-112-665641

• Like 2

On 21/06/2021 at 23:23, arghton said:

Unvalidated (by Gerontology Research Group) ones who could be older than Fusa Tatsumi:

Maria Araujo da Silva (b. 1906?) Brazil

Juana Santos Caballero (b. 1906?) Mexico

Justina Santana Xavier da Silva (b. 1907?) Brazil

Maria Branyas Morera (b. 1907?) American-born Spanish, validation pending

S. M. V. (b. 1907?) Mexico. Name is not known.

Wang Zhangwen (b. 1907?) China

Maria Branyas was validated and she is now 9th oldest. 

• Like 3

On 10/02/2021 at 19:50, arghton said:

These are all born before 1907. 25 people born in 1907, 35 born in 1908 and around 93 born in 1909.

14 men born before 1910, the only GRG validated being Albano Andrade who I mentioned a while ago here as he also has a 109-year old brother.

Albano Andrade dead at 111. He was the better looking brother. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, arghton said:

New article and picture of Emilio Flores Marquez, world's oldest man... :pop:

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/notas/emilio-flores-marquez-el-hombre-vivo-mas-longevo-rompe-su-propio-record-cada-dia/

IMG_20210707_035848.thumb.png.e0751276ac19f93f0eeb57093ecfdae7.png

I'm starting to think he won't live to 113 (8th of August)

He looks breathtaking

Kane Tanaka is one year older than Violet Brown.

Gudrun Nymoen, the oldest living person in Norway, has died at the age of 110. She died July 8.

https://www.tv2.no/a/13883371/.

The page is written in norwegian 

• Like 4

On 21/06/2021 at 22:23, arghton said:

Maria Araujo da Silva (b. 1906?) Brazil

Juana Santos Caballero (b. 1906?) Mexico

Justina Santana Xavier da Silva (b. 1907?) Brazil

Maria Branyas Morera (b. 1907?) American-born Spanish, validation pending

S. M. V. (b. 1907?) Mexico. Name is not known.

Wang Zhangwen (b. 1907?) China

This layout is a great idea for an oldest people bingo game...

1 hour ago, Predictor said:

This layout is a great idea for a oldest people bingo game...

Bingo's too sedate - reality television would put the lot of them in a big wind tunnel while Bet365 bossed the ad breaks inviting people to punt on the last one intact and the order in which they'd all crumble!

7 hours ago, Predictor said:

This layout is a great idea for a oldest people bingo game...

If you win you shout Hearse

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 16/07/2021 at 00:40, maryportfuncity said:

Bingo's too sedate - reality television would put the lot of them in a big wind tunnel while Bet365 bossed the ad breaks inviting people to punt on the last one intact and the order in which they'd all crumble!

I like the idea. Of course, you'd have to blur #8's face because of anonymity. Imagine the interview if she's the last one standing:

Interviewer: "Congratulations Mrs...umm...whatever your name is. Right now, there are millions of viewers at home wondering how it feels to be the only remaining one."

Anonymous: "Don't ask me any questions. Respect my privacy and leave me alone, you cunts!"

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Predictor said:

I like the idea. Of course, you'd have to blur #8's face because of anonymity. Imagine the interview if she's the last one standing:

Interviewer: "Congratulations Mrs...umm...whatever your name is. Right now, there are millions of viewers at home wondering how it feels to be the only remaining one."

Anonymous: "Don't ask me any questions, respect my privacy and leave me alone, you cunts!"

A 115 year old who calls people cunts - I'm liking that!

• Like 1

On 15/05/2021 at 11:18, arghton said:

As a few years ago there was a lot of discussion about the last subjects of Queen Victoria, another site had a list of the last subjects of Edward VII. They're all over 111 years old:

13. Dexter Kruger (January 13, 1910 - present)

Australia's oldest man Dexter Kruger dead at 111 https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-21/australia-s-oldest-man-dies-aged-111/100308610

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banana said:

Was apparently also the oldest person in Australia and Oceania and the oldest Australian man ever.

I remember reading an article about Kruger in May, seemed very healthy at the time. Many sites mentioned that he died after a brief illness.

• Like 1