Mr Stats

World's Oldest

8 hours ago, drol said:

Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia dead at 112.

QO for Garcia

• Like 3

On 02/01/2022 at 11:50, The Watcher said:

Ralph Kohler (104) & his wife Dorothy (103) have been married 86 years 108 days & may beat all records (Wiki & Guinness World) in less than 4 years time. They probably have the 4th longest marriage of all time as records show only 3 definitely longer with 3 other marriages just quoted as "86 years" as there is no exact date known for the start of these 3 other marriages.

Dorothy Kohler died in December according to some Wiki edits. Anything to back this up?

1 hour ago, drol said:

Dorothy Kohler died in December according to some Wiki edits. Anything to back this up?

It’s sourced on the Wiki page. If you look at reference #35 (in the column furthest to the right on the table), it’s there but it’s annoyingly Euro blocked. 

I’ve uploaded a screenshot of the start of the article for you here.

• Like 1

Amazingly/unbelievably the world's first 100th wedding anniversary (no special name as aparently Oak for 80th is the highest official name)has been claimed in India ( I recall when Guinness World Records had their site in Piccadilly, near to where the Ripleys Amazing one was for a few years afterwards that a display board stated how much Indians loved world records - longest finger nails etc). There is a fairly convincing photo of Bhagwaan Singh (120) & Dhan Khan (122) on their 100th W/A on 6 March 2018 with many of their family. I cannot find any subsequent news so possibly an elaborate hoax?

• Facepalm 1

That’s 3 of the top 15 oldest gone within the first 3 weeks of 2022.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

On 15/01/2022 at 12:15, Hanzem said:

Bad month for SCs

Really bad and it's still only the 21st.

RIP Thelma Sutcliffe

56 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

+ The WOLM

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Do we have an updated Top 15?

Practically the only ones not dying are the ones Robert Young said were dying.

• Haha 4

Currently reading a wonderful book called "Dictionnaire de la Mort" (The Death Dictionnary) which lists anecdotes, fun facts and citations from all over the world and all periods. 

IMG_3256.JPG

There's a whole chapter about centenarians and some interesting stories about the claimed oldest people. Besides the well-known story of Pierre Joubert (1701-1814) who was considered the oldest man ever for centuries before a further analysis in 1990 which revealed it was a father and his son with the same name, the book also talks about a man called Annibal Camoux (wiki) who was supposedly born in 1638 and died in 1759 in Marseilles, France. We can apparently see him in this painting from the well-known French painter Claude Joseph Vernet who painted this L'Entrée du Port de Marseille in 1754 : in the foreground on the left, a yellow-dressed-woman is introducing a man who was said (by the painter) to be Annibal Camoux. Apparently this case was well documented and a lot of people believed in this legend : Cardinal Belloy (wiki) who was 98 when he died came to visit the man on his deathbed and practiced the last sacrament apparently. 

1280px-Vernet-entre-port-Marseille.jpg

Even though I don't think this is real, this case is interesting and his inclusion in such an historical painting is fun to me. If anyone cares to investigate (which I don't) here is a blog from a descendant of Annibal Camoux who gave a lecture in 2020 in Marseilles about him. 

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/60007178

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2022/1/190-year-old-jonathan-becomes-worlds-oldest-tortoise-ever-688683

In an otherwise bad month for supercentenarians and longevity research, one interesting longevity record has been broken:

Tortoise Jonathan now officially the world's oldest living land animal and the oldest tortoise (and chenolian) ever at ca. 190 or more, breaking Tu'i Malila's record from 1965. Blind with no sense of smell and fed by hand but "came through the winter well"

• Like 6

Antonia da Santa Cruz, the third oldest person in the world and last verified person born in 1905, dead at 116.

• Like 6
  • Shocked 3

1 hour ago, DaDeathGuy said:

Antonia da Santa Cruz, the third oldest person in the world and last verified person born in 1905, dead at 116.

This month is going for a clean sweep of SC. RIP. 1905 gone.

How long will 1903 (Tanaka) or 1904 (Randon) last.

On 06/01/2022 at 18:30, drol said:

No, think there will be 1-2 death in the top 10 before her (likely Santa Cruz and Juniewicz) and Saturnino de la Fuente will die before her too.

There were 2 deaths in the top 10, Santa Cruz and Sutcliffe, and also Saturnino is dead.

Tanaka's time has come.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, DaDeathGuy said:

Scored a hit for my list.

RIP - the stories she could have told and what she witnessed in her life-time. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Luca@1996 said:

Who are the oldest people you've ever seen in person?

My gran's uncle was still alive when I was still in my early years of primary school. He was 106 and one of the oldest men in Scotland at the time. Very lucid and sharp for his age too!

• Shocked 1

44 minutes ago, Luca@1996 said:

Who are the oldest people you've ever seen in person?

My Great Grandad is 96, he's the oldest person I know but I've probably unknowingly met older... There was also this person on my aunt's street who lived to 100 and he used to wave at people walking by his house from the window (this was back in 2016)

I worked in the backroom of M&S, and M&S is like the central for elderly white people, so I've probably walked by people 100+ without even knowing it.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

My gran's uncle was still alive when I was still in my early years of primary school. He was 106 and one of the oldest men in Scotland at the time. Very lucid and sharp for his age too!

Wow 106 is a wonderful age ! Did he die at 106 ? 

the oldest person I know myself is my great grandmother who’s approaching 102 now but tbh she’s not as healthy as she used to be in the last two or so years : she has cancer on her cheek (don’t know which kind of cancer though) and the medical team don’t want to take the risk to operate her because it would requires a general anesthesia which, at that age, is quite risky… so we’ll see how it goes ! 

• Like 1

I meant the people with the oldest dates of birth that you can remember. For example, the person with the oldest date of birth I met (when I was a child) was a man born in 1902.

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Wow 106 is a wonderful age ! Did he die at 106 ? 

the oldest person I know myself is my great grandmother who’s approaching 102 now but tbh she’s not as healthy as she used to be in the last two or so years : she has cancer on her cheek (don’t know which kind of cancer though) and the medical team don’t want to take the risk to operate her because it would requires a general anesthesia which, at that age, is quite risky… so we’ll see how it goes ! 

Yes he died at 106. I think I last met him when he was 104 or so. I didn't realise how old he was at the time though!