Mr Stats

World's Oldest

There are currently 43 people born in the Victorian era living today, Queen Victoria dying on 22/01/1901.

41 Women & 2 Men.

Let's count them down here over the next predicted 11 years, assuming the youngest currently aged at 111 years old becomes the oldest verified living person ever at 122 years old.

Regards

PP

• Like 2

I assume you mean the 43 people were born and are alive and living in the U.K?

I'm afraid not PB, only three are born and reside in the UK, Grace Jones and Ethel Lang are both 112 years old and Irene Pearce is 111 years old.

Amelia England at 112 years old was born in the UK but now resides in the US.

I included all 43 worldwide supercentenarians (born before the death of Quenn Vic) to give the thread longevity, but accept by defination that they are not Victorians in the truer sense, although we did rule two thirds of the world's land mass back then.

Well seeing as, technically, the 20th Century didn't arrive until 01/01/1901, I suppose that covers everyone left in the 19th Century, British or not anyway...

I'm afraid not PB, only three are born and reside in the UK, Grace Jones and Ethel Lang are both 112 years old and Irene Pearce is 111 years old.

I included all 43 worldwide supercentenarians (born before the death of Quenn Vic) to give the thread longevity, but accept by defination that they are not Victorians in the truer sense, although we did rule two thirds of the world's land mass back then.

Wow, Really? Only 43 people in the world are survivors of the Victorian era? I suppose thinking about it, that must be a correct (ish?) figure.

Doesn't matter what the foreigners call themselves - they are still Victorians.

• Like 1

Wow, Really? Only 43 people in the world are survivors of the Victorian era? I suppose thinking about it, that must be a correct (ish?) figure.

There are only 21 people still alive and born before 31/12/1899, ( and have been verified).

The youngest and only brit being Grace Jones 112 years and 263 days,that makes Grace Britain's oldest living person and the only britton still alive from the 19th century that has been verified!!

I wonder if she will get an orbit? although it will have no value to DL or DDP. Interesting though it is.

There are currently 43 people born in the Victorian era living today, Queen Victoria dying on 22/01/1901.

41 Women & 2 Men.

Let's count them down here over the next predicted 11 years, assuming the youngest currently aged at 111 years old becomes the oldest verified living person ever at 122 years old.

Regards

PP

Yes, I am interested to see when the Victorian era will pass from living memory. It is fascinating/a little mind-boggling to think that there are people still around who were alive at the same time as her.

Grace Jones will be of value to DDP, she's a pick and her newspaper coverage will earn some people some points. I'm more concerned about the Reverend Reginald Dean, Britain's oldest man. Sitting on two of my DDP teams and likely to get coverage on a slow news day.

The hour life glass is still trickling for some famed names that are in my thoughts every now and then. The Indian scholar Sudhakar Chaturvedi is 115 years old but I seem to think his age is a matter of dispute as he would be India's oldest man and I actually just thought of him now. The Portuguese film maker Manoel de Oliveira is still active as a director at the age of 104 and reminds me a little bit of our friend Oscar. The french philosopher Jacques Barzun will be 105 in November and must be one of last to have a book published in the 1920's (1927 to be exact) and is still very sharp mentally, somehow I think he could still give a lecture that a bookshelf could give if it could give lectures. Composer Elliot Carter of New York is still composing music last I heard. I believe he's born the same day as de Oliveira and coincidentally the same year. Worlds oldest?

Guest Guest

big up the worlds oldest person Besse Cooper who yesterday became only the 10th person in history to celebrate her 116th b irthday. no man has ever reached his 116th birthday ,although Jiromen Kimoura looks like he might be the first next year

Guest Guest

correction-she is o nly the 8th person in history to have officially reached their 116th birthday.only 4 people have reached 117

[mode = nerd]

From that website I glean that 45 people born in the 19th century are still with us. After all, those born in 1900 were also born in the 19th century, for the same reason that the 21st century began on 1 January 2001: there was no year 0.

[/mode]

regards,

Hein

We may as well name & shame them, for all the fruit pickers out there. In a jingoistic spirit, I'll have my fiver on Grace Jones to beat the Japs and the Yanks and take a surprise gold in 2017. All that nightclubbing will keep her fit and healthy.

1. Besse Cooper USA 115 (World and Olympic champion)

2. Dina Manfredini Ita 115 (European champion)

3. Jiroemon Kimura Jap 115

4. Misawo Okawa Jap 114

5. Kame Nakamura Jap 114

6. Marie-Therese Bardet Fra 113

7. Mamie Rearden USA 113

8. Hatsue Ono Jap 113

9. Hina Shikawatari Jap 113

10. Ichi Ishida Jap 113

11. Maria Redaelli-Granoli Ita 113

12. Elsie Thompson USA 113

13. Jeralean Talley USA 112

14. Beryl Kapaun USA 112

15. Kame Takamiyagi Jap 112

16. Toshi Higano Jap 112

17. Susannah Mushatt Jones USA 112

18. Bernice Madigan USA 112

19. Soledad Mexia Mex 112

20. Evelyn Kozak USA 112

21. Ine Atarashiya Jap 112

22. Mitsue Nagasaki Jap 112

23. Terue Ashida Jap 112

24. Emma Morano-Martinuzzi Ita 112

25. Takeno Fujita Jap 112

26. Grace Jones UK 112

born in the 1900s

27. Tome Tamura Jap 112

28. James Sisnett Barbados 112

29. Yoshino Tanaka Jap 112

30. Maria Gravigi-De Candia Ita 112

31. Anna Henderson USA 112

32. Maggie James USA 112

33. Shun Moshino USA 112

34. Amelia England UK/USA 111

35. Antonia Gerena Rivera Puerto Rico 111

36. Ethel Lang UK 111

37. Paule Bronzini Fra 111

38. Nabi Tajima Jap 111

39. Yasuko Kimura Jap 111

40. Germaine Degueldre Bel 111

41. Anna Stoehr USA 111

42. Maria Richard Bel/Fra 111

43. Ryo Tobee Jap 111

44. Eugenie Dauzat Fra 111

45. Merle Barwis USA/Can 111

Bronzini dead. GRG makes it just 22 verified left born in the 1800s. Grace Jones still in the running; hasn't been burgled in the past month.

correction-she is o nly the 8th person in history to have officially reached their 116th birthday.only 4 people have reached 117

If these stats are accurate this could be bad news

Of the seven previous people who reached 116 four of them went on to reach 117 that is over a 57% chance of surviving till her next birthday but the Deathlist will cover 2013 the calendar year which could take her on the way towards 118.

Grace Jones, eh? Makes her hula-hooping at the Jubilee all the more impressive.

FBA118B7-0996-4031-B607-F424CC94D46D_w640_r1_s.jpg

Good job she didn't work for the BBC, current reports indicate she'd have been a shoo-in for groping 20 years ago when she was a mere 112!

• Like 2

The poet Carla Porta Musa has died at 110. She was the oldest person in the world who was famous in her own right and not just for her age http://en.wikipedia....arla_Porta_Musa

A hit for One Century Is Enough, Madam! should the right obit come through...

36 Victorians still left, fighting their way through 21st century life.

2 men & 34 Women.

7 Down in just over 7 Weeks, their dropping like flies!