Sign in to follow this  
Guest IYG

J. D. Salinger

I agree with MPFC in as much as Salinger was obviously projecting quite heavily, and expressing some of his emotions and worries through Holden.

Much of what troubles Holden though is more to do with the theme of the death of innocence. Phoebe, his sister is growing up, and he sees that soon she will lose that childish innocence, as he obsevres when he sees someone has written 'F**k' on the side of her school wall. DB his older brother has grown up and moved away, but Holden sees him as a phony because he is doing a job he doesn't like. The only character he never talks about negatively is Allie, his younger borther who died. He never talks about him negatively, because Allie never grew up and lost his innocence. Holden sees that he himself has lost his innocence, but desperately wants to pretend he can take it back and hold on to it (expressed as his not wanting to grow up, and running away from reality) seeing innocence as the only positive quality in the world, but even then, a negative thing, as it is inevitably lost.

Holden acts as a personification of discontent with the world, and how things are, which is why people relate to him, and why people who are mentally unstable see him as a role model.

Indeed HD, very good summary. might I surmise you're still fairly close to the material having recently studied it? Re this thread; Salinger's life shows a struggle with maturity/innocence. In the nineties his neighbours only realised his much younger female companion was his wife when the Salinger home caught fire and 'Mrs' Salinger rang the fire station to report it. It's debatable whether Salinger's fixation with youthful women and his refusal to publish anything for four decades say more about his big themes than his published works.

Incidentally; I'm somewhat surprised a teenager seems to revel in old school early eighties metal sounds. Or is the Dio fixatation intended as ironic?

I agree with MPFC in as much as ...

I was going to go and read the Cliffs Notes to help me with my A-Level English Literature coursework but, thanks to the insight and analysis on this page, I don't need to. Thanks guys. You really outdid yourselves. No, really... good job.

Cliff's notes is better on the context and the kind of well tailored waffle that gets good grades. We're better on - like - the truth, or summat.

Go well and good luck.

Indeed HD, very good summary. might I surmise you're still fairly close to the material having recently studied it? Re this thread; Salinger's life shows a struggle with maturity/innocence. In the nineties his neighbours only realised his much younger female companion was his wife when the Salinger home caught fire and 'Mrs' Salinger rang the fire station to report it. It's debatable whether Salinger's fixation with youthful women and his refusal to publish anything for four decades say more about his big themes than his published works.

Incidentally; I'm somewhat surprised a teenager seems to revel in old school early eighties metal sounds. Or is the Dio fixatation intended as ironic?

Oh no, the Dio fixation is quite sincere!

I was kind of ostracised from the 'popular' crowd in secondary school because of my musical taste. I have a quite wide taste really, but I'm really keen on New Wave British Heavy Metal, and quite a lot of late 70s right through to early 90s music. Among others bands I like that few people my age have heard of are Saxon, Poison, Helloween and Diamond Head (to name a few). The metal-head is not dead yet. There is a small contigent of people round my area that are into heavy metal, including one of my friends who introduced me to Manowar (now one of my favourite bands).

Back on topic: Yes, it is obvious that Holden is to JD Salinger what Simon was to William Golding, albeit used in a diferent way. Simon is used in Lord of the Flies to act as the voice of humanity, and sensibility, whereas, Holden is used to voice Salingers concerns about the world, (which he perecives to be sensibility and in some way reasonable)

I think the (much used) quote: "I thought what I'd do was, I'd become one of those deaf-mutes"

Is very telling. In the same way as Holden contemplates, Salinger seems to have turned his back on reality, and in a way is shut off from proper communication, just like a 'deaf-mute'.

You post erudite, considered and insightful meditations on Salinger and then - gasp, shudder - confess to liking Saxon!!!

F**k!

D'ya know the story about them recording the Denim and Leather album and having problems with whistling feedback in the new studio they were using?

No I don't know the story. Most of their studio recording is good quality, The thing about them is they have more live albums than studio albums.

If all goes well, I might get to see Saxon THREE times next year.

They are playing in may nearby, they have been rumoured for Bloodstock Open Air 07 in july, and they have been confirmed for Wacken Open Air 07 in germany sometime around august.

I'd better 'ride like the wind' if I wanna make it to all the dates....

Two true stories about Saxon;

1 - They are the only band actively researched by those involved in the Spinal Tap movie.

2 - I may be wrong but I think the album concerned here is Denim and Leather. Anyway, they were recording in a newly refurbished studio, new desk, new microphones the lot. The first tracks betrayed an intermittent whistle soon isolated to Biff Byford's vocal track. In desperation several expensive and delicate items of recording equipment were dismantled and several state of the art microphones changed around, without result.

In the end, a whistle was recorded as Byford did some test vocals on a new mike. The problem was clearly somewhere in the vocal booth but there was no evidence of any leakage that would cause feedback. The engineers were at a loss until Byford suggested a possible answer. He'd been fitted with new dentures, and the fit was less than perfect!

This is true!

I think there are plenty of old authors, that it would be easier to find information about.

I'm thinking of Len Deighton, Ed McBain, D.G. Hessayon.

For the 87th time I have to ask is this Salinger fellow really worth a plug nickel of our time? I mean if you had mentioned bringing the REAL Salinger (Pierre) into this Jungle I might well have gone for it but this discussion seems to be somewhat of a somehting for the Birds, but yet I do not give up Hope that you'll enlighten me as to why I'd care about a person who wrote one of the most boring books I've ever been faced with. Yuck! I could barely get through 4 paragraphs before needing to be rushed to the hospital due to severe boredom.

Now moving back to the others, of course Sal Lombino is still alive although his work has slowed since his marriage to wife number 3 (or was it 4?), he is scheduled to be 79 in October of this year so still slightly on the young side. Len Deighton? Who knows. Who else all did you mention?

Oh and did you know, were you aware that Larry Block is still alive? Must be pushing 90 around now.

Perhaps I can enlighten you. Sure Catcher is a boring story, but Holden Caulfield is not. He is one of the most unforgettable characters in any piece of writing. That's why we still talk about him, even more than we do Salinger. I find The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn a boring story. But Huck himself is fascinating. How often do you get to see the antebellum south through the eyes of a fourteen-year-old orphan? Salinger showed us the mind of a screwed up teenager who is really governed by his id, something we all fight on a daily basis, if we are living much of a life at all.

Final thought. My marriage is pretty damn boring much of the time. But my wife is not! See the difference?

Perhaps I can enlighten you. Sure Catcher is a boring story, but Holden Caulfield is not. He is one of the most unforgettable characters in any piece of writing. That's why we still talk about him, even more than we do Salinger. I find The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn a boring story. But Huck himself is fascinating. How often do you get to see the antebellum south through the eyes of a fourteen-year-old orphan? Salinger showed us the mind of a screwed up teenager who is really governed by his id, something we all fight on a daily basis, if we are living much of a life at all.

Final thought. My marriage is pretty damn boring much of the time. But my wife is not! See the difference?

Hey how's it going Fred, welcome to Deathlist. What an outlook. Talk about ways of thinking. I think Salinger explored depths of the mind that have never been highlighted, that is what makes the man so original. And you sound pretty original yourself Fred. For once somebody makes f****n sense.

Guest Guest

So I got kind of all emotional about JD and went for a walk. I mean, the guy's such a phoney but in a nice kind of way, I guess. I mean he picks his nose and stuff, but he's not corny about it, at least. He really gets that finger up there. Then I felt kind of sad, in the snow, all by myself so I went to Rosen's for a malted milkshake............ Blah! Blah!

I hopes he makes it to 2070. We all read the book. We all liked it. God bless the mad, reclusive old bastard.

Guest Guest

I saw JD Salinger at an event in Central Park last year. Although slow, he looked to be in good health.

What was the 'event'? He's not exactly famed for his sociability.

Guest Makaela

yes i thought J.D. Salinger was also dead.

it seems that all the great authors are, and yes, J.D. Salinger was an AMAZING author.

he inspired me and when if found out he was not death i was estatic!

i remember the first book i read by him.

Catcher In The Rye.

to tell you the truth i didnt want to read it.

but it was the only book left on the list at my school and i was required to read something from that list.

i started to read it and then before i knew it i couldnt put it down.

i finished that book from cover to cover in 2 days.

then i was so dissapointed that it was over i read it yet again.

i must have read that book 4 or 5 times.

i fell so in love with his writing style that i went to the nearest book store and bought all the books he has ever written.

my only wish is that i could email him or call him up...like Holden said in Catcher In They Rye.

his work is amazing and i firmly believe he is the BEST author ever.

i may be only going on 16 but i love his work and he puts other authors to shame.

if i could, J.D. Salinger's book would be the only books id read for the rest of my life.

unfortunatly he hasnt written very many books.

but please, if ANYONE knows his email or mailing address would you please inform me?

i think a writter of his talents needs to know what a great affect he has had on my life and the way i look at things.

J.D. Salinger's biggest fan,

Makaela H.

Guest Makaela

sorry but i forgot to give you a way to contact me.

my email is *******@****.com

and my myspace is *******

thanks

[Edit: Don't give personal information out here, if you want a reply register and use the PM facility.]

Edited by honez

How literate were you before that burst of inspiration?

Just askin', like.

Guest Ashley

For the 87th time I have to ask is this Salinger fellow really worth a plug nickel of our time? I mean if you had mentioned bringing the REAL Salinger (Pierre) into this Jungle I might well have gone for it but this discussion seems to be somewhat of a somehting for the Birds, but yet I do not give up Hope that you'll enlighten me as to why I'd care about a person who wrote one of the most boring books I've ever been faced with. Yuck! I could barely get through 4 paragraphs before needing to be rushed to the hospital due to severe boredom.

I really don't think i'd like you if i met you

Because he also wrote "Franny and Zooey," the most wonderful thing written this side of 1900.

He's worth it IMHO because he's very old, spent years as a very heavy smoker and when he goes he'll generate enough in worldwide obits to make a few of our other scorers - Deeds/Lane - look like also rans.

Course, he might survive the year.

Well now that we've entered the New Year this also means Salinger is 89 today.

If he survives this year and sees his 90th, I wonder if the attention of said event would kill him...

What is a "Plug Nickel"?

What is a "Plug Nickel"?

Well, a real nickel is what you get back in change if you're buying coffee and hand the man a dollar. A plug nickel is funny money or a counterfeit coin.

Guest itsajimithng
I'm surprised he is still alive, I thought he died long ago but no, he is alive and 86 years old.

Does anyone have any news about his health?

And on the subject of writers, Arthur C. Clarke will be 88 this year.

He lives in New Hampshire as a recluse

Guest itsajimithng
yes i thought J.D. Salinger was also dead.

it seems that all the great authors are, and yes, J.D. Salinger was an AMAZING author.

i remember the first book i read by him.

Catcher In The Rye.

to tell you the truth i didnt want to read it.

but it was the only book left on the list at my school and i was required to read something from that list.

i started to read it and then before i knew it i couldnt put it down.

i finished that book from cover to cover in 2 days.

then i was so dissapointed that it was over i read it yet again.

i must have read that book 4 or 5 times.

i fell so in love with his writing style that i went to the nearest book store and bought all the books he has ever written.

my only wish is that i could email him or call him up...like Holden said in Catcher In They Rye.

his work is amazing and i firmly believe he is the BEST author ever.

i may be only going on 16 but i love his work and he puts other authors to shame.

if i could, J.D. Salinger's book would be the only books id read for the rest of my life.

unfortunatly he hasnt written very many books.

but please, if ANYONE knows his email or mailing address would you please inform me?

i think a writter of his talents needs to know what a great affect he has had on my life and the way i look at things.

J.D. Salinger's biggest fan,

Makaela H.

I read in a magazine article that he lives a reclusive life in Cornish New Hampshire near Vermont and that he is deaf... but that's all I can tell you. He probably isn't in the email age....