honez

Schapelle Corby

After Shapelle Corby was found guilty of trying to smuggle Cannabis into Bali, she was sentenced to a twenty-year gaol sentence

Visibly shattered by the guilty verdict, she's been put on twenty four-hour suicide watch in her cell.

Will she or won't she? I guess we've got twenty years to find out...

I suspect this may be some more Aussie-centric news that our Colonial reporter has unearthed...........

After Shapelle Corby was found guilty of trying to smuggle Cannabis into Bali, she was sentenced to a twenty-year gaol sentence

Visibly shattered by the guilty verdict, she's been put on twenty four-hour suicide watch in her cell.

Will she or won't she? I guess we've got twenty years to find out...

well, although I've never heard of Shapelle Corby, I will give mad props to honez for using the word "gaol", which I thought had become extinct about 20 years ago. Or when Dickens died.

How, exactly, does one pronounce this? Like "jail"? "gay-ol"? (actually, the latter would be most appropriate because in prison the inmates probably do have a gay-ol' time. Some of 'em, anyway)

How, exactly, does one pronounce this? Like "jail"? "gay-ol"? (actually, the latter would be most appropriate because in prison the inmates probably do have a gay-ol' time. Some of 'em, anyway)

It is pronounced with a hard 'G' as in jail. Only the Flintstones have a "gay-ol' time" in their opening song.

How, exactly, does one pronounce this?  Like "jail"? "gay-ol"?  (actually, the latter would be most appropriate because in prison the inmates probably do have a gay-ol' time.  Some of 'em, anyway)

It is pronounced with a hard 'G' as in jail. Only the Flintstones have a "gay-ol' time" in their opening song.

A "gay-ol" time? Hope there aren't any children watching.

I suspect this may be some more Aussie-centric news that our Colonial reporter has unearthed...........

Pretty big news in lots of countries around south east asia. Just do a google on Shapelle Corby and you should get the picture.

Also gaol is pronounced "jale," not gay-ole. And is the correct spelling of the word in non-north-American-English-speaking parts of the world.

Which got me wondering, why is phonetic not spelled "fonetik?"

A "gay-ol" time?  Hope there aren't any children watching.

Quite a few undoubtedly--or is that, should it be, perhaps if it would or could be, rather better said as 'undoubtedly quite a few.'?

Hmm...Anyway the corrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrect wording of the song is 'gay OLD time' ol usually only refers to the Tennessee Shrine (The Grand Ol' Opry).

Fred, Barney, Wilma, Betty, Pebbles, Bam Bam, Mr.Slate, Dino, Arnold, Cary Granite...

Flintstones%20Personlaized%20Children%20Book.jpeg

Good point... Why is dyslexic so hard to spell?

Why is the sky blue?

Why is the sky blue?

Due to the refraction of light through the atmosphere?

Why is the sky blue?

Not really. A process called Raleigh scattering causes the colour of our skies.

We now return to our regularly scheduled pedantry.

regards,

Hein

Why is the sky blue?

Not really. A process called Raleigh scattering causes the colour of our skies.

We now return to our regularly scheduled pedantry.

regards,

Hein

Can anyone explain why it's called "Raleigh Scattering" when it was called after (or "named for" if you prefer that hideous and illogical americanism) a chap named Rayleigh?

Can anyone explain why it's called "Raleigh Scattering" when it was called after (or "named for" if you prefer that hideous and illogical americanism) a chap named Rayleigh?

I suspect it has something to do with the way people pronounce the name Halley (of comet fame).

regards,

Hein

I thought the sky was black with scattered parkly bits. It's only blue when that pesky nuclear furnace swings by overhead.

I thought the sky was black with scattered parkly bits. It's only blue when that pesky nuclear furnace swings by overhead.

Parkly?

By the way MH, great link, thanks. Will show it to Josco junior (who will shrug shoulders and go "Whatever" in that infuriating teenage way)

How, exactly, does one pronounce this?  Like "jail"? "gay-ol"?  (actually, the latter would be most appropriate because in prison the inmates probably do have a gay-ol' time.  Some of 'em, anyway)

The "g" as in "jail" is, of course, a soft "g", not a hard "g"; however, you're quite right that it is pronounced as in "jail", i.e.: with a soft "g". Not a hard "g".

If you wanted it to have a hard "g", you'd probably have to put a "u" after it, as in "guarding" or "guerilla".

However, on doing a bit more digging it appears that both "gaol" and "jail" derive from the Old North French "gaiole" (perhaps pronounced "jay-ol" or "zhay-ol"), BUT this comes from the vulgar Latin "gaviola" and the classical Latin "caveola", a diminutive of "cavea", meaning cage or hollow.

Now all those of us blessed with an English classical education of a certain vintage would naturally pronounce "gaveola" with a hard "g" as a logical extension of the hard "c" in "caveola". On this basis the "gay-ol" (time) version may superficially appear correct.

The problem, as you will find if you listen to someone French reading Latin - and let's face it, what day goes by without your listening to some Frog reading Latin? - the problem is that they pronounce Latin under some system dreamt up by Erasmus in the 15th Century and which sounds a lot more like modern Italian or French.

Consequently lots of "c"s become "ch"s (eg "Caesar" becomes "Chay-zar") and "g"s become "zh"s. Unless, as noted above, they had "u"s after them, and we could complicate this a bit further by going into the concept that the "gu" format also turned into "w" (eg "warder", "William" etc), but, since I'm losing the will to live, let's not.

Anyway the interesting thing about all this is that the Old French pronunciation gives us an important clue to the origin of a recent and popular neologism. If we consider the original interpretation of "caveola" or "Chav-ay-o-la", it is clearly intended to describe a small dark hole where you ought to lock up Chavs.

• Like 1

Good stuff. I enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

Parkly?

What? Didn't you ever splay with parklers when you were a kid? :D

Guest Demz

Who cares about shapelle, we dont know if shes innocent or guilty. Its not the first or last case. Respect other countrys laws, as they respect ours.

Guest Ana

Schapelle Corby is guilty.

In the next few weeks, the media will release previously censored information regarding Shapelle Corby. The information proves once and for all that she is guilty. This is why the government will not intervene, nor will she be granted a pardon. All the fools who rallied in the streets and made slurs against indonesia will feel rather stupid. Shapelle Corby has smuggled drugs into Indonesia before, this is just the first time she's been caught. there is alot more to this case... it's going to be very interesting to see the coverage of the Corby case in the next few weeks and see how her sister Mercedes is also implicated (her weird outburst outside the court following the verdict will make more sense too). It's interesting how people (uneducated as they are) sincerely feel that Corby is innocent... do they actually think that an innocent person would be sentenced to 20 years under a legal system which operates in an almost identical way to the Australian one? Channel 7 is supposed to be the first station to break the actual story, but are waiting on the ok from the government as the emotions are too high right now and may be politically adverse and against australia's interests to release this information just yet. Why do you think Corby's japanese husband has kept his silence, there is no much more to this case and thank god a majority of australians havent been as stupid as the few who've spoken in defence of corby when they only know 10% of the story and shame to them for belittling indonesians and their country. Hopefully the rest of the world doesnt ridicule australians once the full story comes out, we bascially have Corby to thank if this country's reputation goes down the gurgler due to her lies and dishonest nature.

That's an interesting perspective. Can you provide us with a link to your news source?

Regards,

ff

do they actually think that an innocent person would be sentenced to 20 years under a legal system which operates in an almost identical way to the Australian one?

Identical? I think not. The Australian legal system is based on the British system. Indonesia's is not. Nothing like almost identical as far as I'm concerned.

And anyway, are you saying that innocent people haven't been imprisoned for 20 years+ and/or executed under the Australian/British system before? I rather think they have, much to our shame.

On your other points, I hope you are right. I don't think Shapelle is anywhere near as innocent as Kerry Packer's media interests and money-men would have "us" believe.

• Like 1

Yeah, but she is kind of hot though. I wonder if the same fuss'd be made if she was four stone heavier et al.

Yeah, but she is kind of hot though. I wonder if the same fuss'd be made if she was four stone heavier et al.

I think you are right, had she looked like Waynetta Slob then no-one would really have given a toss but as she is a pretty girl, with big doey eyes and a nice pair of thru'pennies then a lot more people are interested.

If she is as guilty as a previous post suggest, then lock her up, throw a video-camera in the cell and let's see a bit of girl-on-girl Asian/Australasian action.....or is that just me?!