Guest Chewie

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Radio 4

Will he turn up on his own obituary show? "Marvellous comedian, marvellous marvellous, had the pleasure of working with him once during a dissociative episode".

• Like 3

What a morning to have a lie in and my first hit on my Comedy Cremations team. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60154371

Nobody knew so much about the art of British comedy and the people who made it, working with the great, the good and the average for donkeys years.  On that par with Frank Muir and Denis Norden, he could make a gag that would make you laugh out loud because of how silly it was or indeed how dry and cutting he could be. I will miss him, RIP to you Barry.

• Like 5

I first saw Barry Cryer as chairman of a comedy panel game called Jokers Wild. It was so long ago that he had black hair!

Reunited with Humph, Tim and Willie, if you believe that sort of thing.

• Like 4

Very sad about this one. Thought he’d have a few more years tbh. 

• Like 2

Another genuine legend has gone.

Fucking hell.

• Like 1

Another really sad one that feels like the end of an era. The last real link to that golden age of comedy: Hancock, Morecambe and Wise, the Two Ronnie's. At his age, it can never be classed as a shock but I agree he felt like someone who had potentially another decade plus in him. Recent picture on Gyles Brandreth's tweet on the BBC article and he looks fine really.

RIP, Barry.

• Like 3

A rare talent. Great loss. 

Just read the statement from his family, Barry Cryer died on 25 January 2022 in Harrow, London @gcreptile.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Very sad news. RIP to a legend. 

I think the Mirror jumped ahead of an embargo. The BBC and Sky News broke it simultaneously at 10.40 am exactly. 

Been reading the tributes to him.

Have a tear in my eye.

He's gone to the great comedy club in the sky 

• Like 1

His death was certainly trending on twitter before I got a text alert from BBC News.

41 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

His death was certainly trending on twitter before I got a text alert from BBC News.

Celebs on twitter are even more keen to be first to post a death (and a glowing tribute, of course, darling) than DLers. Sick ghouls the lot of them, I tell you.

Do any Brinsworth/Denville residents have an account? They'd be in prime position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Happy Reaper said:

I first saw Barry Cryer as chairman of a comedy panel game called Jokers Wild. It was so long ago that he had black hair!

Reunited with Humph, Tim and Willie, if you believe that sort of thing.

Indeed, back in the days when he and half the panel were smoking during the recording.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Come on Vinegar Tits, what was he really like?

I never met or worked with him sadly but I do have an anecdote, and it's simply *thrilling*

I saw him walking through Kings Cross Station on the day Kevin Keegan resigned as England boss. I was genuinely quite excited about seeing him. 

Cryer was a good friend of a friend (he's popped up on the Beeb and will probably end up writing the definitive biography of him) so have heard many stories of boozy nights in his local. Utterly splendid chap, exactly as you'd want him to be, sharp as a tack, hilarious and wonderful company by all accounts.

Barry Cryer was the last one standing of that generation of truly great comedy writers. We've lost a big man today. RIP.

• Like 8

I'm now wondering if there'll be a spread after the funeral as, yes, "you'll have had your tea..."

• Haha 1

I've been enjoying all these Barry Cryer stories and jokes on Twitter today. Making people smile despite them feeling sad at your death is quite the legacy.

• Like 4

Given some of the recently departed, the prospect of heaven is looking more appealing all the time.

• Like 3

I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Pulse.

Starring…

Willie Rushton

Linda Smith

Humphrey Lyttleton

Victoria Wood

Jeremy Hardy

Tim Brooke-Taylor

Barry Cryer

and…

… who’s next then? Graeme Garden? Colin Sell? Jack Dee? Stephen Fry? Andy Hamilton?

Bill Tidy is the most likely I suppose. 89 this year.

• Like 3

It does seem rather ghoulish the way that Gyles Brandreth, Stephen Fry & Piers Morgan seem to desperately want to be first to express their condolences over someone who is usually far better loved than them &  often has far superior talent. They tend to dig up a photo that shows that they actually met the deceased celebrity and resort to Wiki if they cannot come up with any original anecdote. One of Barry Cryer's best jokes was about a rude parrot. It continued to embarrass its owner by shouting 'Knickers' whenever the Vicar or ladies came to tea. The owner was so exasperated with his/her pet that the parrot was told it would be put into the fridge for 5 minutes so it could cool off & reflect on its poor behaviour. When the parrot was released it was extremely contrite and said to its owner, "Blimey, what on earth did that chicken do wrong?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Pulse.

Starring…

Willie Rushton

Linda Smith

Humphrey Lyttleton

Victoria Wood

Jeremy Hardy

Tim Brooke-Taylor

Barry Cryer

and…

… who’s next then? Graeme Garden? Colin Sell? Jack Dee? Stephen Fry? Andy Hamilton?

Bill Tidy is the most likely I suppose. 89 this year.

Also Wally Fawkes (Trog) who is now 97 & was a close friend  of Humphrey Lyttleton & fellow musician as well as being a fellow cartoonist colleague of Bill Tidy - Trog drew the long running Flook cartoon in the Daily Mail & briefly in the Daily Mirror.