Red Buttons put in 2006

Put in 2006 what exactly? 2006 red buttons in an empty swimming pool? 2006 dollars in a poker game? (or pounds or EuroFrancs whatever currency you choose) 2006 hours of community service?

Probably the food colouring in red Smarties has given the young fellow a bad case of Intellect Deficit Disorder.

Guest IYG

Nope, he's just an idiot I'm afraid, and an annoying one at that. :huh:

Red buttons??? What exactly is the point of this thread? :huh:

Red buttons??? What exactly is the point of this thread? :huh:

I suppose it's about a young man who is excited about a sweater

that was knitted for him by his grandmother and the red buttons on

the sweater drove him to Deathlist.net and put him under some

strange spell. I guess from there he wanted those red buttons

to become a deathlist canidate??

I'm going to put in a vote of support for Death List Boy. His grammar may not be perfect, but one can quite easily get the gist of his posts. The first message asks, not unreasonably, whether any of the 5 names listed will die in 2005. The follow-up question is whether actor Red Buttons will die in 2006. If you don't know who Red Buttons is check him out on Google and you'll find out he's done enough in his career (e.g. Poseidon Adventure, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, won an Oscar for Sayonara) that he's probably known by more people around the world than a good dozen or so candidates on the DL 2005 list.

I had thought one general principal of the DL site was to encourage people to contribute to the forum, so might I suggest cutting newbies a little slack unless they are particularly offensive or moronic.

Guest IYG
I had thought one general principal of the DL site was to encourage people to contribute to the forum, so might I suggest cutting newbies a little slack unless they are particularly offensive or moronic.

Usually yes but do you actually expect me to believe this "guy" has had so many hits on his list so far in the year?

It's almost statistically impossible.

Plus, there's no reason for him to start so many topics. There is Near miss for 2005 thread and an ideas for 2006 thread.

Inar is right. This young fellow and some others who may be the same person or may not be are starting far to many unnecessary, near incomprehensible and often irrelevant new threads.

As every time a new thread is started it comes up on the front page, this kind of posting with its near-absence of spelling, grammar, punctuation and relevance shows the site in a bad light and could easily repel visitors who may actually have something to contribute. Not to mention irritating many regulars.

I'd shudder to see an example of something more moronic than some of the recent offerings from the illiterate faction.

I'd shudder to see an example of something more moronic than some of the recent offerings from the illiterate faction.

Have you ever seen the clowns on the Democratic side of the aisle in our (U.S.A.) Senate and House of Representatives? In particular listen to the gibberish pouring from their pouting lips, now that'll really shiver your timbers.

Okay, I've done some moderation things.

I've merged the extra near miss messages by DLB into the near miss thread.

I deleted DLB's poll, because it only had one option and the poll topic of how many are going to cark it this year is already pinned.

And I've done a fair bit of tidying up after DLB, which took a while and I've probably missed things, so let me make this clear, Death list boy...

Please don't start a new thread to tell us someone-or-other has died and is not in the 2005 DL list. Post a new message in the NEAR MISSES thread.

Please don't start a new thread specifically to suggest someone for the 2006 list. Post a new message in the IDEAS AND POSSIBLES thread.

It seems like you have rubbed a few people up the wrong way since you arrived on the scene, so why not try to follow DL etiquette and play nice? Same goes for everyone else too, why not chill for a while and see how DLB goes?

Guest IYG
Okay, I've done some moderation things.

Wow, you've done so much.

Coffee, 2 sugar and milk, thank you. :huh:

oops, had forgotten it was DLB who had some dodgy postings before. I probably even slagged off some of his posts.

My bad

....I deleted DLB's poll, because it only had one option ...

:lol:

I'm so glad I look through the old threads occasionally, because you find gems like this.

I agree that the grammar is teribble, the poster presumably not cogniscant of the high standards we kkep on this site, but I think he has a point. Red Buttons would seem to be fair candidate for DL 2006.

....I deleted DLB's poll, because it only had one option ...

:lol:

I'm so glad I look through the old threads occasionally, because you find gems like this.

Looking through old threads is usually a waste of time.

millwall32 Posted on Aug 27 2005, 05:07 PM

I agree that the grammar is teribble, the poster presumably not cogniscant of the high standards we kkep on this site, but I think he has a point. Red Buttons would seem to be fair candidate for DL 2006. 

I'm maybe going to regret saying this but I'm not in favour of having Red Buttons on the 2006 list yet.

OK, so he is old (born 1919) and has had two heart attacks in the past, but my numbers on him give him a quotient rating of 65.9 points when I've already got 50 people listed already above 75.8pts (plus another 18 people on my reserve list above 73.6pts)

Does anyone know of any other lifestyle inside info: was he a smoker or heavy drinker? or has any other pertinent raw issues currently or in the past?

Does anyone know of any other lifestyle inside info: was he a smoker or heavy drinker? or has any other pertinent raw issues currently or in the past?

Evidently not.

Then again, thought it worth dragging this thread up from the bowels of the forum in case any of our recent arrivals could add something useful ahead of the declaration of runners for 2006.

Evidently not.

Then again, thought it worth dragging this thread up from the bowels of the forum in case any of our recent arrivals could add something useful ahead of the declaration of runners for 2006.

I'm going to have to agree with Rotten Ali here again. I will admit that the two heart attacks makes him a better candidate than, say, Ernest Borgnine, Paul Harvey, Joey Bishop etc. etc. I've definetely heard of a long history of heart trouble with the man, but there's nothing else in his health history that makes him suspect. Not, of course, that there NEEDS to be anything else, since that's more than we can say about a lot of DL candidates, but we should perhaps be wary of personal intuitions when choosing candidates.

For example, I'm seriously thinking that Joey Bishop will end up on my 2006 DDP, but I can't really back that up with any facts... it's just sort of a feeling, might be wrong, might be right. But I wouldn't reccomend him to DL, which should pride itself on more intellectually based choices.

Still, definetely worthy of discussion if anyone has anything to add.

Well Red's dead, he was 87 years old.

I'm maybe going to regret saying this but I'm not in favour of having Red Buttons on the 2006 list yet.

OK, so he is old (born 1919) and has had two heart attacks in the past, but my numbers on him give him a quotient rating of 65.9 points when I've already got 50 people listed already above 75.8pts (plus another 18 people on my reserve list above 73.6pts)

Just shows the numbers aren't everything

How about we change the strap-line from Deathlist Boy to Dead Buttons.

Well we got Red Adair (back in 2004), we missed Red Buttons, we missed Red Rum...

Is it time to bring Red Auerbach back onto next year's list?

Well we got Red Adair (back in 2004), we missed Red Buttons, we missed Red Rum...

Is it time to bring Red Auerbach back onto next year's list?

He led the Boston Celtics to 8 straight NBA championships. At 88 years old he seems to be a quality canidate, though is he famous enough in Great Britain? That question remains. :P

STOP PRESS

From news.bbc.co.uk

Red Buttons, the US comedian who won an Oscar in 1957, dies aged 87. More soon.

VERY ODD

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-07-13-voa65.cfm

American comedian and Academy award-winning actor Red Buttons has died.

His publicist said the 87-year-old died of vascular disease at home in Los Angeles.

The flame-haired comic began his career on the vaudeville stages of New York. His Red Buttons Show made him a star in the early days of television, and he continued to appear in film and on television as recently as last year.

Known for his quick wit, he also tackled serious roles. Buttons received an Oscar as Best Supporting Actor in 1957 for his portrayal of a soldier in the movie Sayonara.

Now the BBC Version

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5178496.stm

Comedian Red Buttons dies at 87

The American comedian and actor Red Buttons has died at the age of 87.

He died of vascular disease at his home in the Century City area of Los Angeles, according to his publicist.

Famed for his red hair, his career began in the 1930s on stage before he landed his own television programme, The Red Buttons Show, in 1952.

A move into cinema brought him a 1957 Oscar win for best supporting actor as Sgt Joe Kelly in the film Sayonara, starring Marlon Brando.

His publicist Warren Cowan said he had been ill for some time, and was with family members when he died.

In his teens, Red Buttons was spotted by burlesque theatre owners, becoming the youngest comic on the circuit.

His role in Sayonara led to other film roles including The Longest Day, They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and The Poseidon Adventure.