Guest Death List Watcher

George Bush Senior

Since Gerald Ford's death George H.W. Bush is now the oldest living US President, he will be 83 on June 12, 2007. What are your thoughts about him being on the 2007 list? As someone pointed out in another thread it has been a long time since a former US President has not been listed, going all the way back to the 1990's with Nixon, Reagan and Ford. Should we have a US President in 2007 just out of tradition? I think Bush Sr. is the most likely candidate but not by alot, you can make arguments for Carter or even Clinton or GWB (assassanation/Tecumsah). Or if not for 2007's sake what president do you think is next to die?

Not George Bush senior. He was salmon fishing in Iceland in the summer. That involves wading waste deep in the river. He caught about 15 fish in a day, no mean fete for a bloke that old. Jimmy Carter is a fisherman too but I think he will go before Bush senior.

[Topics merged -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

Not George Bush senior. He was salmon fishing in Iceland in the summer. That involves wading waste deep in the river. He caught about 15 fish in a day, no mean fete for a bloke that old. Jimmy Carter is a fisherman too but I think he will go before Bush senior.

I agree. George H.W. Bush does not look like he will cark it in the near future. He is still making appearances and giving speaches. His last appearance was at his daughter's book signing event on Dec 3rd.

link

I think Bush Sr will live to see 90, and Carter as well(unfortunately) - they are both active, George Sr has a great sense of humor still, and no major health concerns.

Watch coverage of Gerald Ford's funeral and you will see that George H.W. Bush has much more of an old man strut than Jimmy Carter even though Bush is only 4 months older. When Bush 41 gave his eulogy he seemed like he needed to grab onto something to support himself, when he touched Ford's casket it could have been just as much for support as it was an emotional gesture. When Jimmy Carter gave his eulogy he had no trouble walking whatsoever and walks great for a man of 82, also Bush has more of an old man's voice than Carter if that means anything. A few days later I read that Bush had some kind of hip surgury at the Mayo Clinic, he also had some kind of heart scare back in 1999 if I recall correctly. Jimmy Carter just hasnt had any major health problems I can think of, sure he is getting along in years but in terms of genetics his mother lived into her late 80's I believe.

I think Bush Sr. will be the next president to go but it probably wont be while his son is still president, he will be 84 when he leaves office. It would be interesting having a father/son pair both as ex-presidents. Of course if something tragic were to happen to GWB and he doesnt finish his term than his father may go rather quick since he has become a very emotional old man as of late. Earlier in this thread someone also made a comparison to Richard Nixon who died at 81, Bush 41 is now older at 82 and is known to have heart problems just like Nixon did. Nixon had a sudden stroke and died a few days later, just a month prior he was on a foreign visit to Russia for a week and two days before his stroke he attended a wedding and appeared to be fine. So just because an old ex-president is active doesnt mean they wont die, not all old ex-presidents are going to go the way that Reagan and Ford did gradually deteriorating and people seeing it coming months and years in advance. Its possible that Bush 41 may have a Nixon style death via a sudden stroke or heart attack. I think its more likely to happen to Bush than Carter. I get the feeling that Carter will just die of simple old age at 90+ Gerald Ford style.

I had a strong feeling that Gerald Ford would die in 2006 even as Christmas approached and there was almost no news about him so I might have some prophetic vision when it comes to Presidents in addition to Presidential death just being a morbid fascination of mine.

George Bush will spend tomorrow under a general anesthetic with a camera shoved up his rectum.

I can think of better things to do over the weekend.

George Bush will spend tomorrow under a general anesthetic with a camera shoved up his rectum.

Isn't this the younger Bush?

Is the video on Youtube yet?

It is indeed Bush the Younger, but I can't be bothered to move the last few posts. Somehow, even with a tube up his a$$ and up to his eyeballs on morphine, I'd still trust W to do a better job of running the country than will Cheney.

Barbara Bush was in attendance at Lady Bird Johnson's funeral but her husband George H.W. Bush was absent even though he lives in Texas. I know his son W also didn't attend but he is the incumbent president and protocol usually does not dictate that a sitting president attend the funeral of a former first lady, only a former president, it might have conflicted with his scheduling.

However the father as an ex-president doesn't have that excuse, especially when he lives not far away in Houston, I have no information on what he was doing that day schedule wise, the last time I think he appeared anywhere was for Boris Yeltson's funeral in April. Thus it would be almost rude to the Johnson family not to show up because he knew and had a good relationship with LBJ and Lady Bird in spite of him being of the opposite party. Maybe this is a sign he is having some health problems, maybe that fainting spell is a sign of something. I don't think he will die this year but he seems to be slowing down much more than Carter who is just about the same age. I think we should put George H.W. Bush on the 2008 list, I definitely believe he will be the next president to go.

Very keen observances, Chicago. Welcome to the world of Presidential death obsession!

In terms of his current lifestyle GWB is probably the healthiest President of modern times. Can't see him doing an LBJ, i.e. dying very soon after leaving office.

In terms of his current lifestyle GWB is probably the healthiest President of modern times. Can't see him doing an LBJ, i.e. dying very soon after leaving office.

Indeed. But this is the thread devoted to his father, George Bush Sr, Millwall.

Indeed. But this is the thread devoted to his father, George Bush Sr, Millwall.

Whoops!

Just noticed Weatherman 90's comment about it being unfortunate that Jimmy Carter might see 90. Bit harsh IMHO, arguably the most significant and successful ex-president of all. Most of the others line their own pockets and/or play golf, Carter's work on world peace is positively visionary, especially for one so old with no need to push himself in search of a living.

Just noticed Weatherman 90's comment about it being unfortunate that Jimmy Carter might see 90. Bit harsh IMHO, arguably the most significant and successful ex-president of all. Most of the others line their own pockets and/or play golf, Carter's work on world peace is positively visionary, especially for one so old with no need to push himself in search of a living.

Weatherman is politically biased.

Such people should be banned form internet fora.:lol:

To sum it up George H.W. Bush is (jumping out of helicopters) and to be honest I wouldn't have the grape fruits to pull a stunt like that, not now, and not at eighty.

I see Jimmy Carter as one of the laid back presidents and of course one of the better in his time. I think he has couple good years left to borrow.

Weatherman is politically biased.

Such people should be banned form internet fora. :wub:

It is a shame that one so young is so focused. :lol:

History will judge Carter far more gently than it will judge our current incumbent. I don't know whether I would say Carter was the most successful US president of all, but in my lifetime he's been the only one - Democrat or Republican - who wasn't a complete megalomaniac and who has continued to contribute to the world after his presidency ended.

I, for one, genuinely like the man. Can't really say that about any others floating around at the moment.

It is cool that H.W. went skydiving at 83, but before we get too wrapped about it we should remember he was strapped to a Golden Angel. It is a good idea when dealing with 83 year old knees and new hips and all but all he really had to do was fall - and he didn't even have to do all that much of that.

Carter may be a nice man, lacking the various foibles of virtually every president since, and his post-Oval Office career is most distinguished. But as President I thought he sorta sucked. The economy was in the toilet, there were long queues at the gas pumps, and while the taking of the Iranian hostages may not have been his fault, he wasn't able to negotiate their release, and responsibility for the botched rescue attempt ultimately lies with him. Most of the American people seemed unimpressed with his leadership as he got waxed in the 1980 election, although one should of course not rush to judgement that the US population are the best judges of successful presidents.

If Abe Lincoln/FDR scored 9/10, and George W Bush gets zero, I'd give Carter no better than a 4.

Carter may be a nice man, lacking the various foibles of virtually every president since, and his post-Oval Office career is most distinguished. But as President I thought he sorta sucked. The economy was in the toilet, there were long queues at the gas pumps, and while the taking of the Iranian hostages may not have been his fault, he wasn't able to negotiate their release, and responsibility for the botched rescue attempt ultimately lies with him. Most of the American people seemed unimpressed with his leadership as he got waxed in the 1980 election, although one should of course not rush to judgement that the US population are the best judges of successful presidents.

If Abe Lincoln/FDR scored 9/10, and George W Bush gets zero, I'd give Carter no better than a 4.

Aside from Churchill, as a Wartime Prime Minister, have we ever had a decent Post War PM?

Jimmy Carter may well have been a nice guy but a poorish President but look who we had at the time. James "Crisis, what crisis?" Callaghan.

I rest my case.

He did negotiate the release of the hostages - 11th hour, granted, but he (or at least his Deputy SecState Warren Christopher) did. The Algiers Accords weren't exactly lovely but I never bought the "Iran is afraid of Reagan" BS that took America by storm.

Overall, if Iraq hadn't invaded Iran in September it could have dragged on another 444 days.

Carter's highest culpability in the hostage crisis is allowing the Shah to go to the Mayo Clinic in the first damn place. Presidents should really listen to their ambassadors sometimes.

OPEC made the decision to curtail production during the Nixon Administration. Interest rates were high because of military expenditures - both in Vietnam and for subsequent weapons production - and much of the subsequent pain was caused by the necessary actions of the Federal Reserve to drag the country out of inflation.

Was Carter a terrifically effective president? No. However, he was a necessary salve to Nixon and he got caught in an economic web not of his making. He was the antithesis of Nixon - Ford was never more than a placeholder in people's minds - and unfortunately the same traits that made him a good foil for Nixon made him the wrong president for the time.

I'm just glad it was Carter who won the nomination and not George Wallace ("In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."). That would have been an experience not to be missed. :lol: