Guest Death List Watcher

George Bush Senior

Aside from Churchill, as a Wartime Prime Minister, have we ever had a decent Post War PM?

I'd argue Clement Atlee, although his reputation appears to have been enhanced more for the policies & things introduced during his premiership, retrospectively, rather than at the time, where he was thought out-of-touch and er... useless.

Sir John Major is a thoroughly decent man, I always feel, but in terms of decent as in effective, it's hard to argue in his favour - though of course that wasn't so much down to him but the sh*ts he had in the Government at the time - a lot of them Thatcher's legacy.

Douglas-Home was about the only PM that didn't do anything wrong. Trouble is.. he didn't do anything. Except Hunt, shoot, fish & drink champagne. Top PM :lol:

Aside from Churchill, as a Wartime Prime Minister, have we ever had a decent Post War PM?

I'd argue Clement Atlee, although his reputation appears to have been enhanced more for the policies & things introduced during his premiership, retrospectively, rather than at the time, where he was thought out-of-touch and er... useless.

Sir John Major is a thoroughly decent man, I always feel, but in terms of decent as in effective, it's hard to argue in his favour - though of course that wasn't so much down to him but the sh*ts he had in the Government at the time - a lot of them Thatcher's legacy.

Douglas-Home was about the only PM that didn't do anything wrong. Trouble is.. he didn't do anything. Except Hunt, shoot, fish & drink champagne. Top PM :lol:

Of which I concur. I think Callaghan was alright, but the Unions done for him in the end... :lol:

I say George H.W. Bush will live to see his son's term as president end and we will have the first father/son pair of ex-president's. That being said he might be a good death list candidate for 2009. I think he will be the next president to die but I don't see it happening very soon.

I see that Lauren Bush, great niece of George H.W. Bush, is to be betrothed to Ralph Lauren's son, David. That will make her married name Lauren Lauren.

• Like 1

I've heard rumours that GHW Bush is in his last months.Possibly cancer.They might be wrong though

I've heard rumours that GHW Bush is in his last months.Possibly cancer.They might be wrong though

Rumours often are. That's why we want evidence rather than rumours.

regards,

Hein

This must be the most useless post ever in the history of DeathList. Even more useless than all of mine put together.

I heard a rumour that your rumour might be a rumour . :scratchhead:

• Like 2

I heard a rumour that your rumour might be a rumour . :scratchhead:

Could well be, although I've heard rumours to the contrary.

regards,

Hein

Wow, I can't believe it. It always seemed like he and Jimmy Carter could have gone on forever.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-h-w-bush-wife...dGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

Don’t expect to see pictures of former President George H.W. Bush and his wife Barbara Bush at the wedding of their granddaughter Lauren Bush, who is set to tie the knot with 39-year-old David Lauren at a Colorado ranch Sunday.

According to ABC News, the proud grandparents won’t attend the ceremony because the location’s high altitude would be detrimental to their health.

Bush is 87 years old and Barbara Bush is 86. ABC also reports that a representative of former President George W. Bush, Lauren’s uncle, declined to comment on his plans. (RELATED: Patrick Kennedy gets hitched in Hyannis Port)

The occasion’s rigorous pre-wedding activities would likely also be too much for the elderly Bushes. On Saturday guests are welcome to participate in a baseball game on the 17,000-acre Rocky Mountain ranch. The “Double RL” ranch has cabins, a saloon and even teepees.

And from that time article..

He’s 86 now, his eyebrows silver and his legs weakened by Parkinsonism, a vascular disorder akin to Parkinson’s disease. But as George Herbert Walker Bush approaches his twilight years, he is beginning to get his due.

With that all said, he's not in any immediate danger.

How are you feeling? Are you done jumping out of airplanes?

I have a form of Parkinson's disease, which I don't like. My legs don't move when my brain tells them to. It's very frustrating. But I am in no pain, and I have discovered the amazing scooters, which Barbara accuses me of driving like I drive my boat. But they help me get around. I'm not sure about jumping. I announced I was going to jump when I turned 90. I have three more years to decide. My legs' not working properly might be a deterrent.

He's still definitely expecting to hold on for at least several more years.

And from that time article..
He’s 86 now, his eyebrows silver and his legs weakened by Parkinsonism, a vascular disorder akin to Parkinson’s disease. But as George Herbert Walker Bush approaches his twilight years, he is beginning to get his due.

Yeah, sure :scratchhead:

regards,

Hein

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...ity-speech.html

Picture from June of this year, getting an honorary degree. Looks like he has gone downhill fast recently.

Pic from today, endorsing Romney. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the idea of Bush calling someone a "good man" as if his opinion had any genuine weight....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...ity-speech.html

Picture from June of this year, getting an honorary degree. Looks like he has gone downhill fast recently.

Pic from today, endorsing Romney. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the idea of Bush calling someone a "good man" as if his opinion had any genuine weight....

I think I would rather have him endorse Romney. Would have scared the crap out of me if he had endorsed Santorum.

For several years I had a Newsweek magazine with him on the front cover wearing yellow jogging shorts. He was President back then and fit as a fiddle. I wonder if his declining health has or will keep him from his jumping from any more planes or was the jump 3 years ago on his 85th the last?

Bush in hopsital with bronchitis. http://bit.ly/ToaH9W

George is still in stable condition with a nasty lingering cough

George H.W. Bush still in stable condition but lingering cough likely to keep him hospitalized

Methodist Hospital spokesman George Kovacik said Saturday there is no change in the status of the 88-year-old Bush from earlier in the week. But Jim McGrath, a spokesman for the 41st president, said "he still has the cough and we're now not expecting him to be discharged this weekend."

McGrath said doctors are "going to play it safe there for obvious reasons."

Aides had expected Bush's discharge soon, but McGrath said "the cough has taken longer to clear up" than anticipated.

I think he just wants to avoid those crowds at the mall for Christmas shopping and this was an easy way to do it.

I wonder if the Parkinson's has added to his difficulty on recovering or is it just being up in years?

George Bush Sr.’s Parkinson’s Battle

George HW Bush is now in his 4th week of hospitalization (26 days now). For something like a bronchitis-related cough, the stay is often much shorter, even for a wealthy elderly celebrity. My guess is that it something much more serious such as pneumonia as a complication of his Parkinson's Disease, mild stroke or multiple mild strokes, or something more serious: lung cancer. I don't know much about his smoking history. However, I do bring up LC because his father died of the disease in 1972. So there could be a genetic connection there. Either way, assuming he makes it 11 more days, Bush should be on the 2013 DL.

George HW Bush is now in his 4th week of hospitalization (26 days now). For something like a bronchitis-related cough, the stay is often much shorter, even for a wealthy elderly celebrity. My guess is that it something much more serious such as pneumonia as a complication of his Parkinson's Disease, mild stroke or multiple mild strokes, or something more serious: lung cancer. I don't know much about his smoking history. However, I do bring up LC because his father died of the disease in 1972. So there could be a genetic connection there. Either way, assuming he makes it 11 more days, Bush should be on the 2013 DL.

May be reading between the lines, but this doesn't sound very good, at first glance.....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=george%20hw%20bush&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QqQIoADAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabclocal.go.com%2Fktrk%2Fstory%3Fsection%3Dnews%2Flocal%26id%3D8929522&ei=kXXWUMipF4OgqgHh1ICYBg&usg=AFQjCNEsUfttXxjHQstRr6mSuHSV6MM85A&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWM