Guest Death List Watcher

George Bush Senior

He isn't recovering, this is serious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackschlotter said:

I thought he was "feeling fantastic"

I think his general constitution is now so weak, his doctors think that everything could kill him.

• Like 1

Well, he is nearly 93 and suffering from pneumonia. That's dangerous for folk 30 years younger, let alone 93 and a history of recent underlying health issues.

• Like 1

The reason for the prolonged hospital stay is that he is now dealing with chronic bronchitis.

Die die die die die die die die!

Hmm hmm hmm? I didn't say nothin'.

8 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

The reason for the prolonged hospital stay is that he is now dealing with chronic bronchitis.

Hmmm....

Still, I expect his health care will be above the average...

It really does feel like he's on borrowed time now sadly. 

Not a big fan of his politics but prefer him to his son. He's much more socially liberal than his son. I believe just a few years ago he and his wife Barbara had some role at a gay couple's wedding. 

5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

It really does feel like he's on borrowed time now sadly. 

Not a big fan of his politics but prefer him to his son. He's much more socially liberal than his son. I believe just a few years ago he and his wife Barbara had some role at a gay couple's wedding. 

Well, it's not hard to look socially liberal when your predecessor is Ronald Reagan and your son is George W. Bush. I think his only "socially liberal" legislation he passed was his disability act, which had support from both parties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackschlotter said:

Well, it's not hard to look socially liberal when your predecessor is Ronald Reagan and your son is George W. Bush. I think his only "socially liberal" legislation he passed was his disability act, which had support from both parties.

Fair point -I just found him to be more modern and less dogmatic in his social attitudes than many republicans especially amongst his own generation. 

I'm not saying he was a massive social liberal by any stretch! 

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Fair point -I just found him to be more modern and less dogmatic in his social attitudes than many republicans especially amongst his own generation. 

I'm not saying he was a massive social liberal by any stretch! 

I know, but I would say it's because he only served one term and probably didn't think he could pass any socially conservative bills and still be popular enough for 1992, or he just simply didn't have enough time. Then again, he won the Gulf War with a booming economy and still lost.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackschlotter said:

I know, but I would say it's because he only served one term and probably didn't think he could pass any socially conservative bills and still be popular enough for 1992, or he just simply didn't have enough time. Then again, he won the Gulf War with a booming economy and still lost.

Just noticed from your profile that you live in America. 

Is there much talk about George Bush seniors failing health etc over there? 

How beloved was he for lack of a better word springing to mind? What I am driving at is will he be greatly mourned by the nation? Are all President's except maybe Nixon greatly mourned regardless of party politics or is there likely to be apathy and indifference? 

24 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Just noticed from your profile that you live in America. 

Is there much talk about George Bush seniors failing health etc over there? 

How beloved was he for lack of a better word springing to mind? What I am driving at is will he be greatly mourned by the nation? Are all President's except maybe Nixon greatly mourned regardless of party politics or is there likely to be apathy and indifference? 

Our nation is more divided. Even in death, we still hold grudges, it's terrible. Only the right mourned reagan's death and only the left will mourn a democrat's death. Bush Sr. was liked 100x more than Bush Jr. because, you know, the economy didn't crash and we weren't losing two wars we arguably should have never been in. I think Bush's death will be more widely covered than Ford's but not as much as Reagan's. However, most people are either NWO conspiracy theorists and will celebrate his death and the rest will be sligtly saddened or indifferent. There is a lot of media coverage of his health, but not enough for the public to really pay attention until he actually dies.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, jackschlotter said:

Our nation is more divided. Even in death, we still hold grudges, it's terrible. Only the right mourned reagan's death and only the left will mourn a democrat's death. Bush Sr. was liked 100x more than Bush Jr. because, you know, the economy didn't crash and we weren't losing two wars we arguably should have never been in. I think Bush's death will be more widely covered than Ford's but not as much as Reagan's. However, most people are either NWO conspiracy theorists and will celebrate his death and the rest will be sligtly saddened or indifferent. There is a lot of media coverage of his health, but not enough for the public to really pay attention until he actually dies.

Thank you for your thoughtful detailed reply and sharing your perspective from the US angle. 

I live in the US (San Francisco) and i'm confident that news of his death would be met with mourning and sympathy. Some Trump supporters will be resentful that he voted for Hillary Clinton and some folks on the left will associate him with his unpopular son and offer less compassion.

Any toxic reactions however will be drowned out by the outpour of support and sympathy for the bush family. Even democrats will put their differences aside.

Im very curious however what Trump is gonna say. It could be anywhere from "He's a quitter" to a normal reaction by a president.

4 hours ago, Crewcamel said:

I live in the US (San Francisco) and i'm confident that news of his death would be met with mourning and sympathy. Some Trump supporters will be resentful that he voted for Hillary Clinton and some folks on the left will associate him with his unpopular son and offer less compassion.

Any toxic reactions however will be drowned out by the outpour of support and sympathy for the bush family. Even democrats will put their differences aside.

Im very curious however what Trump is gonna say. It could be anywhere from "He's a quitter" to a normal reaction by a president.

I doubt Trump supporters know he voted for Hillary Clinton. I would even go as far to say they don't even know he's alive.

Not in the same aisle politically as GHWB but I do have respect for him in contrast to much of his party today and will feel sad when he goes.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Not in the same aisle politically as GHWB but I do have respect for him in contrast to much of his party today and will feel sad when he goes.

Got to agree with Death Impends here. He's someone who I can respect even if I don't agree with his policies.

He'll get a shitload of coverage. He's been a major figure in the casually politically aware lifetimes of pretty much everyone under the age of...45 or so, as VP, President, ex-President, chap on the Simpsons, dad of President, etc. Plus he's been around forever, and my vague recollection of Ford going is that he got lots of coverage, and that was before 24/7 news really took charge, and only 2 years after the Reagan one, as opposed to a whole 11 years since people last had a Presidential death.

• Like 1

George bush was a very clever leader even if he was forgettable. His son might have been a good president as well if he didn't listen to Dick Cheney. I'll be very happy when Dick Chaney dies.

41 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

George bush was a very clever leader even if he was forgettable. His son might have been a good president as well if he didn't listen to Dick Cheney. I'll be very happy when Dick Chaney dies.

Enough about how happy you are when Dick Chaney dies. How do you feel when Dick Cheney dies? 

• Like 1

Oh, maybe next time.

• Like 1