Death Watch Beatle

Peter Sutcliffe

I do think Peter Sutcliffe will die later this year. The person in 50th has died everytime since 2017.

• Like 2

On 26/07/2020 at 23:52, Dying Probably said:

I do think Peter Sutcliffe will die later this year. The person in 50th has died everytime since 2017.

That doesn't seem long enough to make it a tradition (yet)

• Like 1

On 26/07/2020 at 23:52, Dying Probably said:

And in 2017, that was fellow crackpot evil cunt Ian Brady, all the more reason to will it to happen.

• Like 2

It would be nice to have someone plain nasty die rather than loveable centenarians 

• Like 6

Already two weeks old news, Peter Sutcliffe's appeal for a more comfortable prison was denied:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12226423/yorkshire-ripper-high-security-jail-high-risk-status-failed/

He's still regarded as dangerous. And doesn't sound to me as if he's actually dying soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Already two weeks old news, Peter Sutcliffe's appeal for a more comfortable prison was denied:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12226423/yorkshire-ripper-high-security-jail-high-risk-status-failed/

He's still regarded as dangerous. And doesn't sound to me as if he's actually dying soon.

That's no surprise, mind. I've been rather skeptical of those reports suggesting he'd been cured of murderous schizophrenia.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2020 at 12:41, msc said:

That's no surprise, mind. I've been rather skeptical of those reports suggesting he'd been cured of murderous schizophrenia.

If he was cured and released - how many thousand #metoo members would be waiting at the gates?

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

If he was cured and released - how many thousand #metoo members would be waiting at the gates?

Do you ever get that moment when someone quotes one of your posts and you have no memory of ever writing it? Well, that.

Possibly, though in the "needs to be jail for their own safety" stakes I'd suggest Mark Chapman as a higher one, given I'm pretty certain he'll be dead within 6 months of ever getting released from jail.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Do you ever get that moment when someone quotes one of your posts and you have no memory of ever writing it? Well, that.

Possibly, though in the "needs to be jail for their own safety" stakes I'd suggest Mark Chapman as a higher one, given I'm pretty certain he'll be dead within 6 months of ever getting released from jail.

Long story but...

I once wrote to Chapman in the course of a media project I was working on and he replied many months later - too late to be helpful to the project - but indicating he spends much of his time focusing on religious thought and action and suggesting the same would be good for us all. 

Either way, his safety would be hard to maintain out of jail!

• Shocked 1

I don't have anything to add, other than the subtitle of this thread is undoubtedly the best on the forum. Excellent work! :lol:

On 13/08/2020 at 17:53, The Quim Reaper said:

I don't have anything to add, other than the subtitle of this thread is undoubtedly the best on the forum. Excellent work! :lol:

So, the current poet laureate wrote a book at the end of the last century called All Points North - a wonderful meditation on all things northern written in fragments. In the opening section - Where You're At - he discusses some typically northern goings on then has some fun by saying the north is where so and so meets so and so; using the unlikely pairings to tease out common northern qualities. Eg: the north is where Bernard Ingham meets Prince Naseem Hamed (the implication being their both combative, stubborn and unused to defeat. A minor jaw dropper in this litany is the suggestion that the north is where David Hockney meets Peter Sutcliffe. Assuming he's not outing Hockney as a murderer the only useful meaning you can draw from that is that he's acknowledging the artistry of Sutcliffe.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2020 at 21:22, Paul Bearer said:

His trial/story on BBC 4 right now. 

Watched all 3 parts of this in the past week, having missed it last year. Although I'm familiar with the case, it predates me by a few years and I wasn't aware of the length of time he was at large or the hysteria he instilled. Absolutely terrifying, but what became clear was that West Yorkshire Police were criminally incompetent throughout, seeking to paint all the women in the worst possible light, taken in by a hoax tape and missing or failing to follow up on vital evidence.

I don't tar all police with this brush, the head of Northumbria Police (home of Wearside Jack) had great misgivings on the veracity of the tape and its lack of inside information and the South Yorkshire Police in Sheffield who checked his number plate, realised it was fake, pulled him over and, having arrested him for soliciting, then went back and discovered the hammer and knife he had dropped, deserve immense credit - when asked how they'd caught him, he remarked to the press 'good old-fashioned coppering'. (I am of course aware that South Yorks would have their own date with disgrace a decade later when Hillsborough happened.) Really interesting watch though: 'The Yorkshire Ripper Files', available on BBC iPlayer if you're so inclined.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, the current poet laureate wrote a book...

Don't laugh, this is how I've found out we got a new poet laureate a few months ago and it's Simon fucking Armitage. 

7 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Watched all 3 parts of this in the past week, having missed it last year. Although I'm familiar with the case, it predates me by a few years and I wasn't aware of the length of time he was at large or the hysteria he instilled. Absolutely terrifying, but what became clear was that West Yorkshire Police were criminally incompetent throughout, seeking to paint all the women in the worst possible light, taken in by a hoax tape and missing or failing to follow up on vital evidence.

Aye, obviously Sutcliffe's obviously a cunt for the whole killing lots of women bit (albeit a batshit insane cunt) but he couldn't have got away with at least half of those murders if not for the helping hand of societal prejudices, police incompetence, and that hoaxing wanker, the latter of which I equally blame for the deaths of his last three victims.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, msc said:

Don't laugh, this is how I've found out we got a new poet laureate a few months ago and it's Simon fucking Armitage. 

Aye, obviously Sutcliffe's obviously a cunt for the whole killing lots of women bit (albeit a batshit insane cunt) but he couldn't have got away with at least half of those murders if not for the helping hand of societal prejudices, police incompetence, and that hoaxing wanker, the latter of which I equally blame for the deaths of his last three victims.

Undoubtedly the hoax tape was a huge issue, but it wasn't as though it was a convincing hoax. The tape contained no information that wasn't in the public domain and there was no obvious connection for the killer to Wearside. The press told the officers in charge it wasn't true, the FBI officers they were liaising with asked if they realised the tape was a hoax and the Northumbria Police questioned why they believed the tape was genuine given it contained no classified information on the victims. George Oldfield became so fixated on this fictitious duel with the Ripper that he was blinded to any other lines of enquiry.

Apparently, Sutcliffe himself said after his capture that the tape made him feel safe as the accent didn't match his own. Even the bloke who sent it, Jack Humble, was shocked at how seriously the police took it - he sent a letter telling them it was a hoax and then a follow-up anonymous phone call saying the same thing but they were ignored. Not defending him, he deserved everything he got when they caught up with him, but hoax claims of responsibility aren't unusual, especially in big cases, what was unusual in this case was just how easily those in charge were taken in by it.

Oh, and I too only discovered we had a new Poet Laureate after Maryport's message. :lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, msc said:

Of course the actual Ripper has outlived the hoaxer. It was wonderful that the hoaxer was finally tracked down and brought to justice at least. 

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Of course the actual Ripper has outlived the hoaxer. It was wonderful that the hoaxer was finally tracked down and brought to justice at least. 

That'll be this sad lonely alchie, then - he likely had more friends and stuff to get on with in jail than he did in Sunderland

John-Humble-1066526.jpg

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

That'll be this sad lonely alchie, then - he likely had more friends and stuff to get on with in jail than he did in Sunderland

John-Humble-1066526.jpg

This all takes me back to that time and the way the whole country had been gripped by the murders.

I remember the talk shows that had psychologists on to profile what the killer was like, their life and what drove him.

I am not certain that Sutcliffe ever matched those profiles the 'experts' had put together.

20 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

This all takes me back to that time and the way the whole country had been gripped by the murders.

I remember the talk shows that had psychologists on to profile what the killer was like, their life and what drove him.

I am not certain that Sutcliffe ever matched those profiles the 'experts' had put together.

A truck, iirc.

(Couldn't resist)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Wouldn't anyone?

Watching the Yorkshire Ripper Files it appears that one of the main case officers in the Yorkshire Ripper case, Jim Hobson, is still alive. Must be pretty old now. Most of the other main officers are long dead. 

4 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Watching the Yorkshire Ripper Files it appears that one of the main case officers in the Yorkshire Ripper case, Jim Hobson, is still alive. Must be pretty old now. Most of the other main officers are long dead. 

Yeah, she said she wrote to him to take part but he failed to reply. I assume she checked to make sure he wasn't dead before she wrote it... :unsure: