Death Watch Beatle

Peter Sutcliffe

On 28/07/2020 at 15:18, joneseuro said:

That doesn't seem long enough to make it a tradition (yet)

I think this might do it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

"He was the people's ripper"

Seems to me he lived his life like a hammer in the dark, always bludgeoning in the moonlight  and dumping their bodies in a park.

P.S  rot in hell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Didnt know he was ill

That could be his epitaph, make for a variant of the old Spike Milligan gag. He is 93...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Heard the news bulletin on my way to work. All I heard was “one of Britain’s most notorious serial killers has died” - didn’t need the name, I immediately thought about this forum. 

I heard it on the radio this morning - same thing, thought " oooh, that's another for the Death List" ... 

One of the only deaths on here that I'm pleased about.

at least some good news for 2020.

I also get genuinely angry when I think that when he was ill he could be taking up resources in hospital that could be used for good decent people.  

RIP to all the people he murdered, thoughts with those who he severely injured and to their families whose lives he destroyed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, msc said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but that segment was written/co-written by "Friend of the Forum" David "Davey" Quantick too, no?

Possibly.

Maybe 2020 and Covid_19 isn't so bad after all. And on Friday 13th too!

I rarely welcome someone's death but I'm from Bradford and grew up in the 70s. The horror and terror women had, the posters of missing/murdered women in shop windows, having to accompany my mother when she walked to the doctors on an evening because she couldn't walk on her own and couldn't risk getting a taxi or ask customers/friends from the pub we lived in because they could have been 'him', is not easy to forget.

I hope he suffered in his final moments. May he rot in hell.

• Like 6

The best book I have ever read was Sutcliffe's biography "Somebody's Husband, Somebody's Son" by Gordon Burn.

Highly recommended, the author delves right back into his parents and grandparents past to try to understand his true motives, as well as considering his relationship with his wife Sonia.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Perfect Passing said:

The best book I have ever read was Sutcliffe's biography "Somebody's Husband, Somebody's Son" by Gordon Burn.

Highly recommended, the author delves right back into his parents and grandparents past to try to understand his true motives, as well as considering his relationship with his wife Sonia.

Totally agree - just dug out my hardback, which I never threw away, for a re-read soonish. Coincidentally I'm finally working my way through Happy Like Murderers, same author tackles the fun and games enjoyed by Fred and Rose at 25 Cromwell Road.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Totally agree - just dug out my hardback, which I never threw away, for a re-read soonish. Coincidentally I'm finally working my way through Happy Like Murderers, same author tackles the fun and games enjoyed by Fred and Rose at 25 Cromwell Road.

Another cracking read. 

Both books made me feel really glum after reading though, due to the subject matter. 

The research collated from Sutcliffe's family, I found very interesting, giving us their reaction 'their Pete' being the most wanted man in Britain.

Just now, Perfect Passing said:

Another cracking read. 

Both books made me feel really glum after reading though, due to the subject matter. 

The research collated from Sutcliffe's family, I found very interesting, giving us their reaction 'their Pete' being the most wanted man in Britain.

Yeah, and what a waste given the comments his dad made about his potential as a footballer!

The problem with a replacement #50 now is that we don't really have a big name life imprisonment option to go for. Robert Maudsley only killed nonces, Arthur Hutchinson's crimes were horrific but it was a one-off and he's not really got the stardom, having a thread dedicated to Jeremy Bamber is dangerous as he has a weirdly well-organised fan club online who swarm to defend him at any opportunity...  Bypassing them and we're already up to your Rose Wests. 

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The problem with a replacement #50 now is that we don't really have a big name life imprisonment option to go for. Robert Maudsley only killed nonces, Arthur Hutchinson's crimes were horrific but it was a one-off and he's not really got the stardom, having a thread dedicated to Jeremy Bamber is dangerous as he has a weirdly well-organised fan club online who swarm to defend him at any opportunity...  Bypassing them and we're already up to your Rose Wests. 

I have two suggestions for the number 50 slot till they go.

See the source image

and

See the source image

Ozzy because he is the last survivor of the first list.

Gudrun Ure because she is sort of the female equivalent of Clive Dunn.

• Like 2

Good riddance to the cunt

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Ok you and perfect passing have both intrigued me to get this book. I'll look on Amazon.

3 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Ok you and perfect passing have both intrigued me to get this book. I'll look on Amazon.

Here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Somebodys-Husband-Son-Yorkshire-Ripper/dp/0571222838/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1DY8T3EQEP5K9&dchild=1&keywords=somebodys+husband+somebodys+son&qid=1605276328&s=books&sprefix=somebody's+hus%2Caps%2C147&sr=1-1

I mean, we could always - like - start a book club hereabouts, or summat!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Rose West would be my favoured choice for #50.

Not sure how close to death she is though.

Just now, Perfect Passing said:

Rose West would be my favoured choice for #50.

Not sure how close to death she is though.

Nowhere near close enough IMHO

Peter Tobin on the other hand...

• Haha 1

He fucking deserved it, let's be honest with ourselves.

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Isn't there already a thread for that?

Just now, Dying Probably said:

Isn't there already a thread for that?

Yeah, a read any good books lately thread. 

I was thinking more a little club, Zoom connection, few biscuits on hand and a culturally enlightening discussion on the symbolic and creative value of challenging literary works

I'll start by inviting Deathray!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

deleted

Edited by Dying Probably

3 hours ago, Perfect Passing said:

Sutcliffe was a bit of a risky pick.Was not a cert by any means.

I think 37.59% of the 17th death poll, would suggest otherwise.

Could that be a record for the the most voted for, to drop next?

Pretty sure Ginger Baker and Errol Christie had more when it was obvious they were going to die soon...