Death Watch Beatle

Peter Sutcliffe

5 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

I won't be in attendance really - not my thing. I prefer to just read em and move along.

You get that I was taking the piss, right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

You get that I was taking the piss, right?

Yeah, well, I'm a fucking moron :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Pretty sure Ginger Baker and Errol Christie had more when it was obvious they were going to die soon...

Ginger got 60% of the vote for the 10th Poll of 2019.

• Shocked 2

29 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Pretty sure Ginger Baker and Errol Christie had more when it was obvious they were going to die soon...

Arap Moi had loads too before he died earlier this year.

6 minutes ago, Yama said:

Arap Moi had loads too before he died earlier this year.

True, although his total share of the vote was less than Sutcliffe

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

True, although his total share of the vote was less than Sutcliffe

STOP THE COUNT.

• Haha 1

As I said a few months ago when I watched the BBC's Ripper Files, I'm too young to remember anything of the original case but watching the programme which detailed it all from the first attacks to his eventual capture, it was insane the power he held in the public consciousness, as articulated by @Vinegar Tits. This idea that he could strike at will across a huge area without any prospect of being caught. In the world of DNA and CCTV, I find it hard to believe we'll ever have another example of someone able to commit so many crimes so publicly and get away with them for so long. Unlike people like Shipman whose crimes went undetected for years, Sutcliffe's crimes were reported as they happened and the persona of the 'Ripper' was so ingrained in popular culture that he paralysed the North for years - the scenes of women being told to stay at home and not go out at nights is like something from a horror film.

Lest we forget he even had a Top 10 single written about him. His demise is long overdue, but refusing treatment essentially means he still got to take the easy way out.

Just realized how much an ex-girlfriend of mine from way back looks a bit like Vera Millward (bottom row, third from the left)

victims.jpg

5 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

He feels too young and too apparently healthy for the list - no point putting evil on the list just for the sake of it.

Oh I know was tongue in cheek.  Personally would rather Mick Philpott snuffed it first.  I think he's high on the top trumps all time cunts list. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The problem with a replacement #50 now is that we don't really have a big name life imprisonment option to go for. Robert Maudsley only killed nonces, Arthur Hutchinson's crimes were horrific but it was a one-off and he's not really got the stardom, having a thread dedicated to Jeremy Bamber is dangerous as he has a weirdly well-organised fan club online who swarm to defend him at any opportunity...  Bypassing them and we're already up to your Rose Wests. 

Peter Tobin? Sidney Cooke? 

• Like 2

Today the world lost a nasty brutal man who spread nothing but fear and misery and whom everyone despised.But enough a bout Dominic Cummings departure. Peter Sutcliffe also died ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Peter Sutcliffe the infamous Yorkshire Ripper has died. West Yorkshire Police are looking to bury a man with a Geordie Accent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/11/2020 at 22:53, Deathrace said:

Is his wife Sonia still married to him? I believe she's never given an interview despite probably being offered millions 

His nextdoor neighbour was interviewed and said "He was a total cunt to live beside, every time I asked him for the lend of a hammer he said he didn't own any!"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

I think this might do it.

:clap:ya got me, I'm converted !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Today the world lost a nasty brutal man who spread nothing but fear and misery and whom everyone despised.But enough a bout Dominic Cummings departure. Peter Sutcliffe also died ! 

I thought you were packing this place in? I've not been quite as harsh a critic as some of your posts, but if this is your new standard for entertainment since you can't leave and stay left,  its a definite uptick. 

4 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Peter Tobin? Sidney Cooke? 

I'm not one for getting me pitchfork out when it comes to these lifers but I'll make an exception for Sidney Cooke

How he's survived Prison I'll never know.

Sutcliffe’s Deathlist obit is definitely one of the better modern deathlist obits for sure. Alas, the typos on Stiles’ and Trebek’s obit remain...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Perhaps said:

About time.

The number 50 placement has been quite deadly in recent years. 

Just did a quick look at this: the past 4 #50s have died that year (Ian Brady, Mark E Smith, Johnny Clegg and Sutcliffe) - Bruce Forsythe in 2016 was the last one not to die.

Every person to have occupied #50 since 1995 is now dead also (Brady filled a few years and Clive Dunn even more). Most recent #50 survivor is Peter Shilton from 1994 - I'd expect him to still be around in another 10-15 years to be honest. Some wacky choices back then.

What's with the last 10 days or so? Trump going, Cummings gone, vaccine on its way, Sutcliffe dead. Has 2020 decided to be nice for a change or is it saving up for something truly horrific?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Phantom said:

Just realized how much an ex-girlfriend of mine from way back looks a bit like Vera Millward (bottom row, third from the left)

victims.jpg

There's a priceless moment in Granada's "Manhunt" Ripper documentary (made c.1999) where Dick Holland talks about why police took the Ripper letters seriously:

"It said the next one would be an old bag in Manchester, or words to that effect.

(Dramatic pause...)

"The next one was."