Guest Peter Beater

Doug Ellis

Who'd have thought we'd be seeing him pay tribute to Graham Taylor?

• Like 1

Villa opted not to involve the police when a scout (as in footy scout - not the kind with a woggle) was unearthed. And, Doug knew about it. So, will the police push the health envelope by calling him in now?

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38770506

2105.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Dashing pic in The Guardian of Deadly Doug as he gives some dosh to the Tories.

On 26/05/2017 at 13:46, msc said:

2105.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Dashing pic in The Guardian of Deadly Doug as he gives some dosh to the Tories.

Unbelievable he is strong

15 hours ago, Africa7777 said:

Unbelievable he is strong

Aye, he's walking and fairly coherent; available for selection in 2018, then

Looks healthy to me

2018 drop?

On balance I tend to feel confident that it was the correct decision by the committee to drop Doug. He seemed in decent fettle in more recent media coverage etc. 

• Haha 1

Just popped up on the Play-off Final - he's at Wembley. Looks pretty frail and old now...like most 94 year olds I suppose. Think Prince Phillip looked better at the Royal Wedding though, and he's got 3 years on Deadly...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Just popped up on the Play-off Final - he's at Wembley. Looks pretty frail and old now...like most 94 year olds I suppose. Think Prince Phillip looked better at the Royal Wedding though, and he's got 3 years on Deadly...

And one less fully intact rib at the moment

Surprised aston villa's performance did finish him off.

16 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Apparently he thought he had a stroke last Christmas but it turned out to be pneumonia and pluracy and he said he hasn’t fully recovered though at 94 that isn’t surprising would be surprised if he makes it to 2020 so I would put him back on the list for next year 

49 minutes ago, Fergie86 said:

Apparently he thought he had a stroke last Christmas but it turned out to be pneumonia and pluracy and he said he hasn’t fully recovered though at 94 that isn’t surprising would be surprised if he makes it to 2020 so I would put him back on the list for next year 

Begging the question...will he ever see Villa in the top flight again?

Today another match will decide if they face a trip to the full-on ferocious might of Shrewsbury Town or Rotherham next season

• Like 1

Typical Doug Ellis story in a book I'm currently reading. In Inverting the Pyramid (a riveting and detailed history of football tactics and formations - honestly EVERYONE hereabouts should read it) there's a story that Doug Ellis claimed to have invented the bicycle kick. Given that Ellis wasn't a player of any particular note or distinction this seems dubious at best and since there's documented evidence of the kick being used in football at least ten years before Doug was born I'd say we can totally discount the claim. Author Jonathan Wilson is - however - highly charitable, suggesting the English arrogance that generally ignored foreign football innovations might give some credibility to Doug's claim - where the UK is concerned anyway.

• Like 1

Presumed he’d died when I saw his name flash up here. Deadly can’t have long to go before he meets the Grim Reaper. 

Could of sworn he was kept on for this years list :(

• Like 1

Deadly Doug.

Annual "dropped from the list - then dead" name.

Good news for Nobby Stiles?

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:06, Gooseberry Crumble said:

On balance I tend to feel confident that it was the correct decision by the committee to drop Doug. He seemed in decent fettle in more recent media coverage etc. 

then again …:huh:

• Haha 2

On 01/01/2018 at 22:06, Gooseberry Crumble said:

LOL well spotted @Deadpool

• Thanks 1

Bit disappointed that none of the obits I've seen so far have that juicy nugget of his claim to have invented the bicycle kick (and the clear evidence elsewhere it was used in football before Doug was even born)