VileBody

Astronauts

I think I read somewhere that they have proper toilets now (with suction). In the past I believe they wore nappies (diapers).

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere that they have proper toilets now (with suction). In the past I believe they wore nappies (diapers).

Is that like the toilets they have on planes? I always found it strange that the most powerful flush one typically experiences in life is from a toilet 30,000 feet up. And that which got flushed stays on board, right, it's not being flung into the stratosphere.

Is it?

I'm sorry to say that I think it does get flung out because there are numerous cases of people being brained by falling pieces of frozen.....er, stuff...

True, they have toilets, but 'solid waste' is compacted and stored...sometimes for years on end whilst 'liquids' are recycled as drinking water. They can't just jettison the old 1's and 2's out into orbit for fear of disabling some sputnik or other with a 25,000 mph 'dog-egg'

Vile Body: The braining is stuff coming from aircraft in our atmosphere. One of the best ever stories in this regard concerns Doug Bower and Dave Chorley, a couple of old tricksters who were responsible for most of the crop circles that started the whole craze for the things. They figured it was time to get out of the business when one of them was doused in chemical toilet waste - probably from a descending military aircraft - in the early hours of the morning.

Is it just me or does the shuttle sound like something made on Blue Peter?

Having made it earlier doesn't mean it works. <_<

regards,

Hein

Latest...

Space shuttle Discovery commander Eileen Collins is confident about returning to earth safely despite concerns about the craft's safety.

What do you expect? She's running round going: "OmiGod!! Omigod!!! We're all gonna f*ckin' die!!!!"?

What do you expect? She's running round going: "OmiGod!! Omigod!!! We're all gonna f*ckin' die!!!!"?

<_<

I think she'd be more likely to be floating around rather than running around.

They're due back tomorrow. Wonder if all those repairs have done the trick.

Let's hope they used the right sort of tile adhesive & grout. Personally I find B&Q very good for that sort of thing.

the chances of anything going wrong are pretty small, I don't think the Shuttle program could sustain another disaster.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars were a million to one, they said"

Damn! You beat me to it!

Glad they got back OK.

Good news they made it back, but surely the last flight for the shuttle. Apparently American parents and teachers, who used to gather their kids around to watch launches and landings, were doing the opposite for this flight and keeping it from the little ones.

Please though can the US gov't save their money trying to get people to Mars or whaetver other nonsense has been proposed and use it on something useful, like bribing the Iraqi insurgents to give up their weapons.

They could spend some money sending Dubya to Mars - on a one-way ticket

Is the shuttle safe? The chief safety officer & engineer don't think so.

Will NASA be looking for yet another seven astronauts?

Is the shuttle safe? The chief safety officer & engineer don't think so.

No, the Space Shuttle is not safe. It has an appaling safety record compared to other manned spacecraft.

Will NASA be looking for yet another seven astronauts?

No. If this flight comes back safely they still have a crew. If it doesn't Space Shuttle will never fly again and NASA won't be needing other astronauts for the forseeable future.

regards,

Hein

I wish I had taken a screen capture of this over the weekend, but CNN.com's lead story read "Crack found on Space Shuttle"... I think you'd have to be high on crack to get on the Space Shuttle these days.

If the shuttle doesn't survive re-entry, not only will 7 astronauts die, but the shuttle program will die also.

Thanks to the above for reviving this thread. Yeah, I've found myself contemplating possible death of seven highly skilled people in a very expensive machine. Ironic really since one lone idiot (ie myself) did this thinking whilst peddling along on my low tech mountain bike.

Astronaut Wally Schirra has died at the age of 84

Edited to put correct spelling of "Schirra"

• Like 1