In another thread I read:

Mine's a pint of Large if you are buying.

What's that? Confused lager?

regards,

Hein (now drinking Grolsch lager)

It's a Robert Rankin thing. My second-favourite author. Smokes and drinks a lot, but no sign of him dying soon.

Pleased to hear you are drinking beer Hein. A worthy and profitable pastime.

Best regards to you and your fan.

It's a Robert Rankin thing. My second-favourite author. Smokes and drinks a lot, but no sign of him dying soon.

It's strange that his books managed to avoid my book shelves. I'm a dedicated fan of the works of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I'll soon redress that omission.

Pleased to hear you are drinking beer Hein. A worthy and profitable pastime.

I wouldn't know about profitable (other than for the brewer and his dealers) but worthy it is indeed. Besides, it's fun and a good way to meet interesting people.

regards,

Hein

"I only drink to make other people seem interesting"

George Jean Nathan quotes (American Journalist, Critic, Essayist and Editor, 1882-1958)

DWB :referee:

Besides, it's fun and a good way to meet interesting people.

regards,

Hein

Yeah, don't i know it! Boy! I could tell a you about a good few "intresting people" i have met whilst drinking, but perhaps this isnt the best place :referee: .

In another thread I read:
Mine's a pint of Large if you are buying.

What's that? Confused lager?

regards,

Hein (now drinking Grolsch lager)

And if you are looking for that other thread - it no longer exists. Will probably come as no big suprise to hear that most of the posts were the same person. Obviously too many beers, or they only get access to the internet at weekends.

Oh, and Notapotato - sorry, we don't get double time, so looks like you will have to buy your own :referee:

I would like to announce that I too am currently enjoying a refreshing glass of beer.

Time profitably spent, I'm sure Hein would agree, drinking beer.

A beer Song:

Beer, a drink I like to drink

Ray my mate he likes beer too,

Me, I'd like a glass of beer

Fa ther likes his beer as well,

So I think I'll have some beer.

La ger is a kind of beer

Tea is not as nice as beer,

etc.....

I would like to announce that I too am currently enjoying a refreshing glass of beer.

Prosit. What kind of beer, if I may ask?

Time profitably spent, I'm sure Hein would agree, drinking beer.

I do indeed. I forgot to add the tax man in the list of profit makers.

A beer Song:

Beer, a drink I like to drink

[...]

etc.....

Does it feature little goblins?

regards,

Hein

Prosit. What kind of beer, if I may ask?

Warsteiner on this occasion though I drink Kölsch for preference.

I do indeed. I forgot to add the tax man in the list of profit makers.

I didn't necessarily mean financially profitable unless you play and win at poker or some other gambling game at the same time as drinking.

And beer is still cheap enough in spite of those who grow fat at our expense. No wait ! It is we who are growing fat at our own expense. Well you know what I mean. Consuming beer stimulates the imagination, creativity and all that thus increasing the potential for amassing fabulous material wealth. Worth a try anyway.

Does it feature little goblins?

Goblins could be arranged, big or little, though you may need something a bit stronger than that beer first. The song sort of just rambles on however you want it to really.

Warsteiner on this occasion though I drink Kölsch for preference.

Warsteiner's not bad. A pub I used to go to in Rotterdam had it on tap as standard lager.

And beer is still cheap enough in spite of those who grow fat at our expense. No wait ! It is we who are growing fat at our own expense.

Hmm. Can't deny that.

Consuming beer stimulates the imagination, creativity and all that thus increasing the potential for amassing fabulous material wealth. Worth a try anyway.

Is that one of those plans in which you quit your job to become a paper boy, because you want to go from paper boy to millionaire?

Goblins could be arranged, big or little, though you may need something a bit stronger than that beer first.

Is that the incredibly stron ale? :referee:

regards,

Hein

QUOTE (Notapotato @ Jun 19 2005, 12:53 AM)

Consuming beer stimulates the imagination, creativity and all that thus increasing the potential for amassing fabulous material wealth

Thats not all it stimulates-if you get my drift :lol: .

"Marry sir, (it stimulates) nose painting, sleep and urine. Lechery, sire, it provokes and unprovokes; it provokes the desire but takes away from the performance"

as the man said.

Notapotato Posted on Jun 19 2005, 08:15 PM

"Marry sir, (it stimulates) nose painting, sleep and urine. Lechery, sire, it provokes and unprovokes; it provokes the desire but takes away from the performance"

as the man said.

Too true

There is another side to it:

wei-beerhelpingugly.jpg

regards,

Hein

Ah, you see Shakespeare wrote Macbeth before 1862. So he couldn't have known about subsequent developments in brewing technology.

In Germany they have brewed beer the same way since 1516. Macbeth was probably written between 1603 and 1610. So German beer should still have the same effects mentioned in Shakespeare, or something happened in 1862 or thereabouts to the nature of human beings which changed the way beer affects them. Or to the ingredients of beer.

Gloomy, do you drink German beer as a rule, or some other kind? I know Hein is partial to the Dutch stuff.

Mind you, he dislikes bagpipe music as well.

as the man said.

Can't say I've ever had the desire to paint anyone's nose after drinking beer, or my own for that matter. So perhaps things have changed somewhat in the last 400 years.

Slave to the Grave Posted on Jun 19 2005, 09:39 PM

Gloomy, do you drink German beer as a rule, or some other kind? I know Hein is partial to the Dutch stuff.

Dutch or German mainly, though whilst travelling through OZ recently i drank Fosters, but its not up to the job!

Dutch or German mainly, though whilst travelling through OZ recently i drank Fosters, but its not up to the job!

Err, no I didn't. :lol: . Must be that beer!

In Germany they have brewed beer the same way since 1516. Macbeth was probably written between 1603 and 1610. So German beer should still have the same effects mentioned in Shakespeare

That doesn't follow. It's possible the Bard was singing about English beer, not the German brew. So German beer may well be the same as it was in 1516 and still be different from the subject of Shakespeare's line.

I know Hein is partial to the Dutch stuff.

I am, more for economic reasons that for taste, although there are a few good microbreweries in these parts. I much like some Belgian en German brews and some porters and stouts also make a good pint.

regards,

Hein

Slave to the Grave Posted on Jun 19 2005, 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Earl Gloomy @ Jun 19 2005, 11:46 PM)

Err, no I didn't.  . Must be that beer!

Bugger, sorry! pasted across the wrong name, soo sorry, yes it is the beer!!!! totaly p***ed :lol:

That doesn't follow. It's possible the Bard was singing about English beer, not the German brew. So German beer may well be the same as it was in 1516 and still be different from the subject of Shakespeare's line.

In fact, reading more closely Shakespeare's porter in Macbeth is talking about "drink" in general, by which I presume he means the alcoholic variety. Whether he means beer, wine or something else would depend on whether Shakespeare was realistically depicting Scotland in the year 1040 and whatever they drank there back then (more likely Scottish beer than wine), or whether he meant something more familiar to a 17th Century audience which could have been wine, English beer or something else.

Perhaps It was only Scottish beer from the 11th Century which had sexually debilitating characteristics. If Hein knows this for sure, it might go some way to explaining his prejudice against Scottish traditional music. :lol:

I spent about four minutes looking for references to the problem in Goethe and Schiller but drew a blank, sadly.

I much like some Belgian en German brews and some porters and stouts also make a good pint.

Belgian beers are grand, though not if you are very thirsty! :lol:

I seem to recall that in medieval times beer was drunk at all times in lieu of water. Water was invariably bad due to lack of hygiene, but because beer is made by boiling water during the process it made it safer to drink.

I am sure that some DL historians will be able to give a definitive answer and correct my assumptions here.

My own personal preferences are: Tetleys Bitter if within 20 miles of Leeds (it doesn't travel well), Becks or Budvar at home, bitter if elsewhere in the North of the UK and lager in London or the south east. Southerners can't do beer.

My own personal preferences are: Tetleys Bitter if within 20 miles of Leeds (it doesn't travel well), Becks or Budvar at home, bitter if elsewhere in the North of the UK and lager in London or the south east. Southerners can't do beer.

A fine eclectic palette of beers there, Mr. J. And also an explanaition for why I don't like Tetley's bitter, never having been within 20 miles of Leeds.

My own preferences for Northern Beers are Castle Eden and Camerons Strongarm, both as you say best savoured in their native environs.

There are a couple of decent breweries in Suffolk though, and even in Kent.

What a shame Beck's is the only German on your list, it being one of the least interesting, though most popular ones.

A good rule of thumb is: When in Rome...

Not that you would catch me drinking the local brew here.

Hannen Alt. Like Tennent's Export with all the character removed.

They also brew Carlsberg under license, but it isn't the same.

Southerners can't do beer.

May I suggest a trip to Southwold in Suffolk, and a pint of Adnams. :lol:

Then on to Bury for a nice pint of Greene King's Abbot Ale at the Dog and Partridge.