Budweiser tastes somewhat similar to how I imagine wee might taste, only bubblier. Am currently enjoying Speight's Old Dark with it's pleasant tasting beery goodness. A stout beer for a stern time of year.

According to me anything out of a can isn't close to the quality out of glass. The brewery is usually better, and so is the beer. When I drink I usually have this habit of putting the beer down very quietly, so when it hits the table it makes no sound.

**Shameless plug**

There's a new beer shop opened near me in Otley, it's called Wharfed'Ale. Massive selection of bitters, lagers, it's not your usual Thresher type place. Oddities include Chilli Beer (it contains a Serrano Chilli) and blows your head off, amongst many others. Last week I'd figured I'd give the strongest lager in the world a try, weighing in at 14% by vol I wish I hadn't, it took me a week to drink it. I'd say it's name in German but it escapes me, but roughly translated it's called Santa Claus Lager. It's brewed for one day a year every 6th of December and is casked for 10 months. It's apparently the rarest beer in the world. Oh my god I'm a beer geek.

:crossbone:

Oh, the other novel thing about the shop is that the guy who owns it resembles Keith Miller from Eastenders and you can tell he's sampled every beer in there.

Ah, Samichlaus! Just far too strong for me. I remember trying to drink the entire beer list (with help from friends) at a splendid pub in North London, but that monster beat us all.

Banshees, Budweiser Budvar is a Czech beer company which has had it's name trodden into the dirt by the Yank Piss which is made from bloody rice goddamn it! Their Dark Lager is what I was raving about, not beer-flavoured rice-water.

Olveres, I'd recommend you give it a go and by the way, I think the rarest beer in the world may be Westvleteren 12 although I may be wrong.

My favourite Belgian beer has got to be Kreik. Cherry flavoured beer. It is popular amongst the men as well as the ladies and it is rather refreshing on a hot day. My cider replacement! Framboise comes in a close second. However all the other fruit beers are revolting and taste very artificial. I've given some a go but I think my sink has tasted more of them than me!

Guest Beer Monster
I remember trying to drink the entire beer list (with help from friends) at a splendid pub in North London.

Would that be the 'Quinns Challenge'?

the Yank Piss which is made from bloody rice goddamn it! Their Dark Lager is what I was raving about, not beer-flavoured rice-water.

:crossbone: This is how I shall refer to "beer-flavoured rice-water" henceforth.

Maybe!

Quite aptly, we got stuck on 'Fin du Monde'

Is it like Geuze? In its natural form Geuze is indeed

sour and barnyard-like
I definitely agree with the acetic acid taste. Having been to the traditional geuze brewery in Brussels I'd go further and say it induces the gagging reflex whilst your tongue curls up in sheer disgust that this could ever be discerned as an enjoyable taste. I think this is the reason why fruit beers were invented, to disguise a bad brew!

To be brutally honest, having gone through the rest of the list beforehand, including the awesome Nigerian Guiness I can't rightly remember.

Is it like Geuze? In its natural form Geuze is indeed
sour and barnyard-like

Banshees, Budweiser Budvar is a Czech beer company which has had it's name trodden into the dirt by the Yank Piss which is made from bloody rice goddamn it! Their Dark Lager is what I was raving about, not beer-flavoured rice-water.

Well let me tell you, the British have this fetish of their beer against the US. Completely mocking and disowning any of our alcoholic beverages (I find it very comedic). The majority is trash I admit, and tastes like bottom bottle. Although I think some brands of Samuel Adams aren't that bad, but getting off beer for a minute good Ol' JD is always a friend.

Always.

good Ol' JD is always a friend.

Always.

He's often my best pal at 2am, but he can be a right c**t at 8 the next morning when I'm late for work and looking for a pair of socks, head pounding.

That'll be The Czech Republic just north of Sussex then?

Well let me tell you, the British have this fetish of their beer against the US.

Always.

Well let me tell you, the British have this fetish of their beer against the US. Completely mocking and disowning any of our alcoholic beverages (I find it very comedic). The majority is trash I admit, and tastes like bottom bottle. Although I think some brands of Samuel Adams aren't that bad, but getting off beer for a minute good Ol' JD is always a friend.

Always.

I agree about Samuel Adams ales, a very decent brew; malty almost to the point of being chewy. However, no other country seems to have developed anything that approaches a decent pint of best bitter or an 80/- ale. Foreign ales are either too sweet or too sour, or have some extraneous ingredient designed, as far as I can tell, to disguise the real taste.

The recent explosion of Eastern European immigrants in London has widened my beer vocabulary and I have developed a tatse for Zubr beer from Poland (there is evdiently another Zubr from the Czech Republic). It seems superior to the more commonly available Zywiec, Okocim or Lech (never say I don't do my research thoroughly), and at 6% ABV, it doesn't waste time. Recommended.

However, I can't concur with your opinion of JD - it's over-marketed and overrated. I'd much rather have a bourbon, and Bulleit hits the spot better than any I've yet tasted. Not that I intend to stop looking of course...

Personally I prefer a real ale. The Durham Brewery's "White Bishop" or "White Gold", Ossett Brewery's "Silver King" or "Santiam", or you could always try a Beer Festival ;)

Guest Beer Monster

You can tell it's Friday afternoon, all this activity on the booze thread.

I'm off the Castlebar, I'll get you one in...

Talking commercials I actually enjoy JD's. In any drink I like plenty of ice, and they say drink responsibly!

However, I can't concur with your opinion of JD - it's over-marketed and overrated. I'd much rather have a bourbon, and Bulleit hits the spot better than any I've yet tasted. Not that I intend to stop looking of course...

Is this where we enjoy our drinks? Does everybody know your names here? Probably.

789961-Czech_Republic_by_Leipzig-Czech_Republic.jpg

Badger - the only way to gte yer hangovr

This should probably go in the Amy Winehouse thread like everything else, but I'm quite partial to the booze one. Can't say I've heard of him, but Robert Mondavi, a big cheese in the world of American winemaking, has died, appropriately enough in the Napa Valley.

Explorer is a golden/ blonde ale, very light and perfect for summer. Not too pokey at about 4%, so good for a cheeky lunchtimer.

Happily for me, I'm off to the home of Broadside and Explorer for a few days, so I'll have a few for you.

Could I please ask all Deathlisters to club together and buy me one of these.

Favourite beer of the moment, Adnams Explorer.

My fivers in the post