football_fan

James Earl Jones

1 hour ago, msc said:

Did we know that he's not been replying to fan mail since 2018, citing age AND health reasons? Hmm, maybe worth a DL call up sooner than later.

He appeared in Coming 2 America which was released in 2021 though. I'm not sure when they filmed it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markb4 said:

He appeared in Coming 2 America which was released in 2021 though. I'm not sure when they filmed it.

I checked his IMBD page. His workload has been very sparse since 2011. Honestly I am shocked he isn't dead yet considering that he is over 91 years old and has diabetes. 

• Like 2

He is someone who definitely should be on the 2023 list, if he makes it that far.

• Like 2

A man with a deep tenor like voice and a huge screen presence.

I always imagined that he was also hung like a Rhino with bollocks as big as those 1970's space hoppers.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A man with a deep tenor like voice and a huge screen presence.

I always imagined that he was also hung like a Rhino with bollocks as big as those 1970's space hoppers.

Big bollocks is a phrase  I could happily get used to hearing...

He seems to have made an appearance recently:

32 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

I checked his IMBD page. His workload has been very sparse since 2011. Honestly I am shocked he isn't dead yet considering that he is over 91 years old and has diabetes. 

David Musuguri has diabetes I recall and has managed to live to 102. 

• Like 3

My introduction to the great man during childhood wasn't actually Star Wars - it was The Simpsons. What a voice. (And also, weirdly, actually one of the best Poe adaptations!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Big bollocks is a phrase  I could happily get used to hearing...

Aye, prefix that with 'Bertie' for added gravitas.

• Haha 1

It will be an incredibly sad day when he goes, I am a huge Star Wars fan, and have been for almost as long as I can be bothered to recall. To me, and many others, his voice alone is stuff of legend. Iconic. He will be missed when the Reaper comes a-knocking, I think I speak for a fair part of the population when I say that. He is one of the main aspects of one of the most iconic movie villains in cinematic history, even if one doesn't like Star Wars, the silhouette, the breathing, and the voice are instantly recognisable to most. He is also one of the oldest living actors in Star Wars, the oldest main cast member, mere words that he is still acting at his age garners applause from the fans. Even outside of his most famous role he is well-known and well-respected. However, he seemed to be absolutely fine in the recent Kenobi series, and I think (hope) that he will see a good few years more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, msc said:

My introduction to the great man during childhood wasn't actually Star Wars - it was The Simpsons. What a voice. (And also, weirdly, actually one of the best Poe adaptations!)

I LOVE this version of The Raven. His delivery is incredible. "Perched and SAT, and nothing more."

• Like 2

This is the Kind of guy who are vaguely forgotten for some times through the meanders of all the nonagenarian names and who bumps somehow on the site and will suddenly appear on every list next year just like André Maranne did. Wouldn’t mind having him on the official list as he’s way more famous than Maranne. 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2022 at 01:20, alt obits guy said:

Is voicing Darth Vader in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series starring Ewan McGregor.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/02/entertainment/james-earl-jones-darth-vader/index.html

Apparently he didn't actually as that role was done using archival recordings 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63032248

On a semi related note does anyone here really hate that the biggest entertainment company in the world is using AI to keep a long since stale character alive. God forbid they cast someone else, or make a new character or the worst yet actually try to make something new.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

On a semi related note does anyone here really hate that the biggest entertainment company in the world is using AI to keep a long since stale character alive. God forbid they cast someone else, or make a new character or the worst yet actually try to make something new.

Yeah, I've also heard the opinion that Darth Vader's story is told, and they should let go. Seems they cant.

Pop culture is currently unable to create something new. AI doesn't really help there.

8 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Marvel/Disney are well known for doing this and Marvel and/or Disney have legal issues with the people/estates who have copyright to certain characters such as Iron Man and Spiderman etc. God forbid they are allowed royalties for their own work. Link