Cowboy Ronnie

Formula 1 & Other Motor Racing

David Cubehead expected to announce his retirement from F1.

from the paddock to the pasture

He gets a point for being less of a knob than the likes of Jensen Button, and 13 career wins isn't bad, considering he was up against Schumacher most of his career. Still, one would hardly say the sport will miss him.

What a good job I clicked that link - I totally thought you were talking about someone really called David Cubehead, and was about to post what a brilliant name it was. I'm such a thick sh*t sometimes.

Re DC:

He also remains one of the most liked figures in F1, and is widely admired for his honesty, honour and a sense of humour that did not always come across to the public.

I'd be interested in OoO's view on the above. I've heard M-Sport mechanics speak in glowing terms of fun with DC and his talent being under-rated, though oddly he seems to polarise opinion amongst the females I know who've encoutered him where words like 'immature' and 'idiot,' have been uttered.

He was, in his earlier racing days, a bit of an arrogant hothead both on & off the track. In recent years, however, he has been a delight.

As I am not a lady, I could not possibly comment on his "manner", but overall, he's turned into a really decent chap these last few years. One hopes Hamilton & Button, arrogant immature idiot playboys both, will learn from DC & do the same, sooner rather than later.

arrogant immature idiot playboys both, will learn from DC & do the same, sooner rather than later.

I can see your point, after all you have to mix with this lot professionally. But immature and arrogant F1 drivers are a deadpoolers delight!

If this report is to be believed, the British F1 grand prix is moving to Donington in 2010.

Make way for the real Motorheads

I always associated Donington with Monsters of Rock and motor bikes. This couldn't be another one of Bernie Ecclescake's unsubtle ways of getting Silverstone to polish up its act, like the ruroured "central London GP" of a few years back, could it?

David Cubehead expected to announce his retirement from F1.

from the paddock to the pasture

He gets a point for being less of a knob than the likes of Jensen Button, and 13 career wins isn't bad, considering he was up against Schumacher most of his career. Still, one would hardly say the sport will miss him.

I hate Cubehead with his stupid saltire. Good riddance hope he dies in crash this weekend

I hate Cubehead with his stupid saltire. Good riddance hope he dies in crash this weekend

That's a shame, he speaks very highly of you.

If this report is to be believed, the British F1 grand prix is moving to Donington in 2010.

Make way for the real Motorheads

I always associated Donington with Monsters of Rock and motor bikes. This couldn't be another one of Bernie Ecclescake's unsubtle ways of getting Silverstone to polish up its act, like the ruroured "central London GP" of a few years back, could it?

Possibly.

But although Donington would need a bit of "a lick of paint" to put it mildly - it is accessible, internationally more accessible, has much better vantage points for spectators, a great track & a real sense of history. It's also less windy there.

Silverstone may have a brilliant VIP set-up, but it consistently has bog all for the spectators. And no, I'm not up there this weekend - which is ironic considering I'm out near Towcester tomorrow for a work & social related matter.

(Note to josco: B*Witched were a briefly popular "girl group" of the 1990s)

Please, I may turn my half century this year but I am not a complete old fart (yet).

Formula 1 engineer's suicide.

Why hasn't Massa got a drive through penalty? Oh because he's driving a Ferrari!! Bastards!! If that was a McLaren they would've got a drive through and a 10 place demotion in the next race. Bastards!!

I'm not a fan of men driving round in circles, but I accidentally caught the last 10 minutes of highlights last night. This must be the first motor racing I've seen since Senna died and I must say it was brilliant. I gather that it's not normally like that though?

I know it's not Formula One, but given some of the crashes during qualifying and supporting races at this year's V8 Supercars Bathurst 1000, I've got a feeling that someone's gonna cop it tomorrow

Edited by honez
Ah, well, no major disasters as it turns out.

I'm guessing Adams was more of a stress case and worrier than he made out and probably ran very high levels of stress hormone. Most of his friends discussed a bloke who's ability to avoid work, and then go mad for it in short bursts, were legend. Lawro senior, by contrast, may have more balance than it appears, more or less medicating himself into periods of less stress via the alcohol. Still sounds like an accident waiting to happen in the long run unless summat stops him, mind.

Not that I've met either of them, just speculating, like.

I'm surprised Zsolt Baumgartner didn't get in. Apparently, he never won a single race at any level. Or George Eaton, who paid his way into BRM with his daddy's department store money. Or if they were looking for the 'completely wasted talent' angle, they couldn't have done better than Jean-Pierre Jarier.

Yeah, it's a bit subjective. I read the stories and some of them are shockers but whether the odd rich playboy is worse than someone who throws away opportunities in very good cars is questionable. I know a guy who hung out with pretty much all the F1 circus in the 60s and 70s and his take on things is more informed. For example, tending to agree with Chris Amon's assessment of himself as 'lucky' for surviving so many seasons without a major injury when a lot of his friends died. Similarly, my mate once rattled on about the fact that pretty much any other F1 driver gifted Jackie Oliver's drive for the Lotus team in the late sixties would have been able to get better results.

Has Glock been offered Kovalainen's seat at McLaren yet? :lol:

Has Glock been offered Kovalainen's seat at McLaren yet? :lol:

No, but I'm pretty sure Sebastian Vettel will be in Ferrari beofre next March...:lol:

Guest Scot
It is a little-known fact that Nick Heidfeld and former F1 driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen both come from the same small town in W. Germany. Coincidentally the same town where Joseph Goebbels was born and where I happen to live.

If either were to kick the bucket, chances are the Frentzen family firm would be doing the honours.

(I linked to the Google translation for those who don't know German yet, and for enhanced comedic value)

Heinz - Harald Frentzen also comes from the same place as Michael and Ralf Schumacher. He was apparently Schuey's best mate when they were young - although Schuey's wife Corrinna was once Frentzen's girl.

It is a little-known fact that Nick Heidfeld and former F1 driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen both come from the same small town in W. Germany. Coincidentally the same town where Joseph Goebbels was born and where I happen to live.

If either were to kick the bucket, chances are the Frentzen family firm would be doing the honours.

(I linked to the Google translation for those who don't know German yet, and for enhanced comedic value)

Heinz - Harald Frentzen also comes from the same place as Michael and Ralf Schumacher. He was apparently Schuey's best mate when they were young - although Schuey's wife Corrinna was once Frentzen's girl.

And don't tell me - she's shagged your brother Dave as well.

Welsh Rally is proving a bit eventful, thrills and spills and air ambulance miles aplenty so far.

There were some F1 races, including Grands Prix, admitting non F1 cars in the distant past. At least, so my mate Rick who attended them all in the 60s and 70s said. The Nurbergring hosting the 1969 German Grand Prix was the old 'killer' course that almost did for Niki Lauda, being so long it allowed the F2 field to spread out long before the F1 leaders caught them and was - therefore - deemed safe enough to allow both differently powered types of car to race at the same time. Oh aye, and some F1 grids back then were sparse to the point of embarrassing, entire races contested by a dozen cars at one time or another. So owt to liven up the races might have been considered.

Ben Collins, someone in the office swears he is the main Stig and they use others - like from an acting agency - for shots like the public transport journey through London.

Confirmation in the Times. Maryport knew a year ago.