widnes14

Royal Family

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Was his wife the Duchess of Kent there?

Don't think so - she usually steers clear of a lot of official engagements I believe? The ladies were in overlooking balconies (social distancing): from memory the first had the Queen and a lady-in-waiting, the second had Camilla and Kate and the third had Sophie and...someone else. But not the Duchess of Kent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the Duchess of Kent has been an official working royal for a long time.  She does her own thing.  She more or less dropped her royal title, and she and the Duke have been married in name only for years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

59 minutes ago, Toast said:

I don't think the Duchess of Kent has been an official working royal for a long time.  She does her own thing.  She more or less dropped her royal title, and she and the Duke have been married in name only for years.  

Oh I'm aware of that. But I thought she still chose to attend trooping of the colour  on the balcony watching  the planes flyover  from Buckingham Palace  once a year and the cenotaph . I thought I had spotted her in recent years photographed at these events. I could  be mistaken however. 

I think the Duchess of Kent will go before the Duke.

I got my degree conferred by her.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Toast said:

11 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh I'm aware of that. But I thought she still chose to attend trooping of the colour  on the balcony watching  the planes flyover  from Buckingham Palace  once a year and the cenotaph . I thought I had spotted her in recent years photographed at these events. I could  be mistaken however. 

I think you're both right to a point. I was aware of her stepping back and doing her own thing - she's worked as a music teacher I seem to remember? And goes by the name Katherine Worsley rather than the Duchess of Kent. She also stopped presenting the trophies at Wimbledon (the famous scenes with Jana Novotna in the 90s for instance), it's always the Duke now and Kate's being groomed to replace him. However, I do feel I've seen her at a few of the big family events in the past decade, couldn't tell you exactly what but she seems satisfied to at least go through the motions. Anyway, no appearance at the Cenotaph yesterday - coronavirus provided quite a useful smokescreen for the absences: no Harry or Megan, no Andrew, no Phillip (though he's obviously been missing a few years now).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Couple of Kents....

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I've been fortunate enough to graduate 3 times in various forms and on none of these occasions did I actually receive the award off the university's Chancellor. The first two were at Lancaster, and it should have been Chris Bonnington, the mountaineer. To keep it on topic, he took over from Princess Alexandra, whom the main square on campus is named after. These days it's Alan Milburn, the former Labour MP and an alumnus. A poor choice IMO given James May is also an alumnus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Are the two things related?

What the hell did you do to her at your graduation?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I think you're both right to a point. I was aware of her stepping back and doing her own thing - she's worked as a music teacher I seem to remember? And goes by the name Katherine Worsley rather than the Duchess of Kent. She also stopped presenting the trophies at Wimbledon (the famous scenes with Jana Novotna in the 90s for instance), it's always the Duke now and Kate's being groomed to replace him. However, I do feel I've seen her at a few of the big family events in the past decade, couldn't tell you exactly what but she seems satisfied to at least go through the motions. Anyway, no appearance at the Cenotaph yesterday - coronavirus provided quite a useful smokescreen for the absences: no Harry or Megan, no Andrew, no Phillip (though he's obviously been missing a few years now).

I would make a distinction between Royal duties and family events though.   And anything she has a personal interest in - I think she has involvement in music charities, connected with her teaching.  That's what I meant by doing her own thing.

As for Wimbledon, she had a massive fall-out with them when she took a child with her as a guest and some All-England Tennis Club stuffed shirt told her the kid wasn't allowed in the Royal Box and refused to back down.  The Duchess was very upset and I think this led to her withdrawing her patronage.  It's quite unbelievable that they would be so dictatorial towards such a valuable Royal patron!   She was a great loss to Wimbledon as everyone remembers her kindness to Jana, as you say.  Arseholes.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

18 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Was his wife the Duchess of Kent there?

I double checked and those on the three balconies were The Queen, her lady in waiting, Kate, Camilla, Sir Timothy Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.

Didn't see or hear a mention about Duchess of Kent being there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

I would make a distinction between Royal duties and family events though.   And anything she has a personal interest in - I think she has involvement in music charities, connected with her teaching.  That's what I meant by doing her own thing.

As for Wimbledon, she had a massive fall-out with them when she took a child with her as a guest and some All-England Tennis Club stuffed shirt told her the kid wasn't allowed in the Royal Box and refused to back down.  The Duchess was very upset and I think this led to her withdrawing her patronage.  It's quite unbelievable that they would be so dictatorial towards such a valuable Royal patron!   She was a great loss to Wimbledon as everyone remembers her kindness to Jana, as you say.  Arseholes.

That's a pretty horrid story and a big own goal from Wimbledon, I agree. They lucked out with Kate though, absolutely loves her tennis, I imagine she'll continue doing it even after she's Queen. Once the Duke stands down of course. You're probably right on what she turns up for, I'd have to have a look at some photos and see which events she's been at.

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

I double checked and those on the three balconies were The Queen, her lady in waiting, Kate, Camilla, Sir Timothy Laurence and the Countess of Wessex.

Didn't see or hear a mention about Duchess of Kent being there.

Tim Laurence! D'oh! Of course he was the other one. Completely forgot about Anne. :facepalm: Thanks for that.

The All-England Tennis Club bosses are well known as a bunch of cunts.

• Like 1

I agree that the Duke of Kent looks very Frail and has lost a lot of weight. I think he would be an excellent DL candidate. 

image.png.913babeccbfb36ee9990aecdc18773e4.png

6 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Are the two things related?

What the hell did you do to her at your graduation?

She was Chancellor of Leeds University back in the day, as she is a proper Yorkshire lass. She was later replaced by Melvyn Bragg

Lady Moyra Campbell, aristocrat and charity campaigner, dead at 90.

Was a maid-of-honour at the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.

• Like 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupo_(dog)

Probably not the most known member of the royal family, but William's and Kate's dog died last weekend aged 8. Appeared multiple times with Prince George, once Will and Kate were accused of animal cruelty when they had George feeding ice cream to the dog in one picture. 

I wonder how the Queen's two dorgis are doing.

2 hours ago, arghton said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupo_(dog)

Probably not the most known member of the royal family, but William's and Kate's dog died last weekend aged 8. Appeared multiple times with Prince George, once Will and Kate were accused of animal cruelty when they had George feeding ice cream to the dog in one picture. 

I wonder how the Queen's two dorgis are doing.

FYI
Celebrity Pets - DeathList extra-curricular - DeathList Forum

42 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

My good God. They have managed between them to name their child. Marvelous. News for the world. They could at least have added an 'e' at the end to give it some edge. Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank name baby son - BBC News

Poor chap will have a lifetime of people assuming his birthday is in August.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Poor chap will have a lifetime of people assuming his birthday is in August.

Exactly what I said this morning. Baby August - born in February. :facepalm: 

On 29/09/2020 at 15:08, arghton said:

70+ British royals and non-royals who are close family to royals

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, 99

Elizabeth II, 94

Katharine, Duchess of Kent, 87

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, 84

Princess Alexandra of Kent, 83

Prince Michael of Kent, 78

Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, 76

Princess Michael of Kent, 75

Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester, 74

Charles, Prince of Wales, 71

Anne, Princess Royal, 70

Other relatives:

Christopher Bournes Rhys-Jones, father of Sophie, Countess of Wessex, 89

Thomas Markle, father of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, 76

Michael Middleton, father of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, 71

George Brooksbank, father of Jack Brooksbank, 71

-----

Michael Markle, Meghan's uncle, 81

Frederick Markle, Meghan's uncle, 78

Annabel Elliot, Camilla's sister, 71

Mary Burke Roche, Diana's aunt, 86

-----

Children of the sisters of DoE:

Princess Margarita's children (1905-1981)

Stillborn daughter (1931-1931)

Prince Kraft Alexander Ernst Ludwig Georg Emich (1935-2004)

Princess Beatrix Alice Marie Melita Margarete of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1936-1997)

Prince Georg Andreas Heinrich of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (born 1938)

Prince Rupprecht Sigismund Philipp Ernst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1944-1978)

Prince Albrecht Wolfgang Christoph of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1944-1992

Princess Theodora's children (1906-1969)

Margarita Alice Thyra Viktoria Marie Louise Scholastica of Baden (1932-2013)

Prince Maximillian Andreas Friedrich Gustav Ernst August Bernhard of Baden (born 1933)

Prince Ludwig Wilhelm Georg Ernst Christoph of Baden (born 1937)

Princess Cecilie's children (1911-1937)

Prince Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine (1931-1937)

Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine (1933-1937)

Princess Johanna of Hesse and by Rhine (1936-1939)

Stillborn son (1937-1937)

Princess Sophie's children (1914-2001)

Princess Christina Margarethe of Hesse (1933-2011)

Princess Dorothea of Hesse (1934-2001)

Prince Karl of Hesse (born 1937)

Prince Rainer Christoph Friedrich of Hesse (born 1937)

Princess Clarissa Alice of Hesse (born 1944)

Prince Welf Ernst of Hanover (1947-1981)

Prince Georg of Hanover (born 1949)

(The only child of Philip's sisters who isn't 70 is Princess Friederike of Hanover (born 1954, son of Princess Sophie))

Queen's cousins:

Simon Bowles-Lyon, 88

Lady Mary Cecilia Bowes-Lyon, (DEAD: 2nd January 2021 at age 88.)

Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon, 80

Philip's cousins:

Lady Pamela Hicks, 91

Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark, 81

Aging last royal dorgis, could be counted as family members. Both are atleast 14 years old, so if compared to human age they'd be around 78+ years old both:

Vulcan, age not known (DEAD: 2nd or 3rd of December 2020)

Candy, age not known

There are probably tons of more somewhat near old relatives of the royals, I could add more to the list if anyone suggests some

I updated this to add the death of Lady Mary Cecilia Bowes-Lyon and added all the children of Philip's sisters. 13 of the 21 are dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing list but how could Princess Cecilie die 2 years before her stillborn son?  Astonishing that Prince Philip has outlived so many of his nephews & nieces.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Amazing list but how could Princess Cecilie die 2 years before her stillborn son?  Astonishing that Prince Philip has outlived so many of his nephews & nieces.

It's a typo.  She was killed in a plane crash with her husband, their two sons and the child she was shortly expecting.   Very tragic.  It's likely that she gave birth during the flight.

• Like 2